Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spud Carroll calls for Hunt to be dropped.

League legend's ultimate insult for 'reserve-grader' Ben Hunt

Rugby league hardman Mark Carroll says besieged Ben Hunt is closer to reserve grade than State of Origin.

Hunt and his St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor[/a] are the NRL's two most scrutinised characters four days into the competition's resumption with opinions divided over who's to blame over the Dragons' dismal winless start.

With only twin wins over last year's wooden spooners Gold Coast from their past 13 games and unable to post a point against the New Zealand Warriors at the weekend, McGregor is odds-on to be the first coach sacked in 2020.

Fox League Live." data-reactid="37" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 17px;">“Old Mary (McGregor), he can't hide. He's had one game back and they've lost,” Carroll told Fox League Live.

“But I just look at the halves. Ben Hunt, everyone's talking about (how) he's on this massive money.

“But he came out last week saying he's worried about the end of the year because State of Origin is going to be played after (the season) and there's going to be some teams disadvantaged about not playing in the semi-finals.

“Hello? Ben? Deadset, mate, no one gets picked from reserve grade and the way his performance was at the weekend, he'll end up being there.

“Mary will have no other option than to put you in reserve grade. You've got to aim up and guide this team around. I don't see any guidance.

“You can see by the footy - they wouldn't scare anyone.”

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-mark-carroll-says-ben-hunt-reserve-grader-221424496.html

Looks like the pundits have not just the coach in their aim.

hazzbeen

Yea just read the article , he is defiantly struggling along with most players .... Its also a bit hard if your backs are making more meters than your forwards ..... For me our forwards have not been getting over the advantage point for our backs to try something .... All in all drop the lot of them including the coach .... Elevate the reserves that will do me for the rest of the year ....

I suppose the point of posting this was to reinforce the recent media critique of our Club. I think Hunt is under the pump, as is Norman and many senior players. The coach is now a battering ram, so I applaud all the attention our club is getting mate.

hazzbeen

I suppose the point of posting this was to reinforce the recent media critique of our Club. I think Hunt is under the pump, as is Norman and many senior players. The coach is now a battering ram, so I applaud all the attention our club is getting mate.
Mate its just a matter of time now he is a dead man walking finally the media are getting into him ,which they should have done 2 years ago .....

Smirrors

Hunt cops it because he is our marquee player. Comes with the money. You get picked for SOO on club form. Norman got picked largely due to his time with parra. None of these guys deserve it this year.

LINESPEED

Rugby league hardman Mark Carroll says besieged Ben Hunt is closer to reserve grade than State of Origin.

Hunt and his St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor[/a] are the NRL's two most scrutinised characters four days into the competition's resumption with opinions divided over who's to blame over the Dragons' dismal winless start.

With only twin wins over last year's wooden spooners Gold Coast from their past 13 games and unable to post a point against the New Zealand Warriors at the weekend, McGregor is odds-on to be the first coach sacked in 2020.

Fox League Live." data-reactid="37" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 17px;">“Old Mary (McGregor), he can't hide. He's had one game back and they've lost,” Carroll told Fox League Live.

“But I just look at the halves. Ben Hunt, everyone's talking about (how) he's on this massive money.

“But he came out last week saying he's worried about the end of the year because State of Origin is going to be played after (the season) and there's going to be some teams disadvantaged about not playing in the semi-finals.

“Hello? Ben? Deadset, mate, no one gets picked from reserve grade and the way his performance was at the weekend, he'll end up being there.

“Mary will have no other option than to put you in reserve grade. You've got to aim up and guide this team around. I don't see any guidance.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/nrl-2020-mark-carroll-says-ben-hunt-reserve-grader-221424496.html

Hunt’s problem is Waterboy, as he’s OK with Walters & Meninga.

All players (except Turnstile & Hole-in-the-Wall) have problems with decline & fuc/keduppedness with Mc113

But if McFail punts him today it’d be sly & wise
- as it’d shift the media focus

AND (as per usual) help apportion blame elsewhere

Talk to Andrew instead Spud - & leave the Drongo stuff to Lozza & Bradley

All players (except Turnstile & Hole-in-the-Wall) have problems with decline & fuc/keduppedness with Mc113

100% correct. There is more to it...I alluded to this halfway through last season...cannot say anymore on a public forum....just join the dots.

redv13

Hunt cops it because he is our marquee player. Comes with the money. You get picked for SOO on club form. Norman got picked largely due to his time with parra. None of these guys deserve it this year.
Never a drama with Hunt when he’s playing for Qld and Australia. Last I checked old Slim Shady Norman is on huge money too, number 2 in the club but hey let’s hang Hunt by the knackers. Norman can get f**ked tomorrow and I wouldn’t bat an eyelid to be honest

Have to agree...a rash buy and we are stuck with him. Who would want Norman unless we paid a large majority of his deal ?

1/. Board totally @ Fault in all of this...They made the mess, now fix it....1st action...New coach..preferably not an "old boy "

Not quite right IMO

Walters & Meninga see him as a hooker not a half so he's a different horse at a different course.

In that role he just jogs from play to play with an occasional sprint out of dummy half which unfortunately is what he does for us as a 7 when what we need is a speedster who takes the line on, carves teams up and has the opposition in 2 minds whenever he has the ball but that ain't Hunt.

Hunt is a long way off being a high quality rep no 7 which is what we supposedly bought.

Fair to say he was a capable half who is now totally incapable.

Not quite right IMO

Walters & Meninga see him as a hooker not a half so he's a different horse at a different course.

In that role he just jogs from play to play with an occasional sprint out of dummy half which unfortunately is what he does for us as a 7 when what we need is a speedster who takes the line on, carves teams up and has the opposition in 2 minds whenever he has the ball but that ain't Hunt.

Hunt is a long way off being a high quality rep no 7 which is what we supposedly bought.

Fair to say he was a capable half who is now totally incapable.

Agree to disagree....He went O.k with widdop . Give him a decent coach and make him running halve...I'd play Clune 7, hunt 6....

Anyway won't make a difference until you know who is gone.

redv13

Why doesn’t McFuc*wit grow some balls and at 4pm name the following:
6: Norman
7: Clune
9: Hunt
13: McInnes
Might just surprise himself the old wizard

Then you have a back row of McInnes, Frizz and T Sims who are all 80 min players. Less bench issues too but hey I’m just a forum muppet

If you are going to play Norman, put him @ 1...personally I'd drop norman...

Here's my problem with the above.
6/7 ... I agree. Or as Getsmarty said put Norman at 1 ( Dufty not working out ).
I wouldn't change Cam from 9.
He is one that puts in a 8/10 performance week in week out. He just needs a break from 80 minutes.

I'd say Clune is the one to lead the team around; Hunt just does not have it in him! To me Hunt is more suited to a running five-eighth style position and this could make a big difference if was partnered with Clune in the halves.

I would also like to see Norman move on to another Cub. He has demonstrated very little enthusiasm to perform to his salary grade at SGI and so, I don't see him perform well in another position, except for maybe centre.

SGI would benefit greatly with the spare salary cap on offer if another Club just picked up the remainder of time left on Norman's contract.