What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad v Pakistan announced

Timbo

Staff member
I just, f**k, I just can't even.

With Burns you absolutely know what you're getting - a reliable top order batsman who'll average somewhere between 35 and 40 and be a stable veteran at the top of the order.

And yet, we roll the f**king dice on Finch, on the off chance he can somehow do something on a Dubai dustbowl that he's been unable to do on an MCG road for the last decade, or Labuschagne, who has shown promise but hardly ready for this.

Timbo

Staff member

Eelectrica

Referee
That's what gets me - this A side where contenders somehow missed the boat and have been dropped without even a chance to show anything.

It feels like Burns and Maxwell have gone from the test team to not even good enough for the A team. Hohns doesn't know what it feels like when a plan comes together because he doesn't have one.

Bazal

Post Whore
I just, f**k, I just can't even.

With Burns you absolutely know what you're getting - a reliable top order batsman who'll average somewhere between 35 and 40 and be a stable veteran at the top of the order.

And yet, we roll the f**king dice on Finch, on the off chance he can somehow do something on a Dubai dustbowl that he's been unable to do on an MCG road for the last decade, or Labuschagne, who has shown promise but hardly ready for this.
You then get this:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/24649925/glenn-maxwell-confirms-mixed-selection-messages

OK, so I'm no Maxwell fan - but he knocked back offers to play County Cricket because CA wanted him fresh for the 'A' tour of India, and then they don't even pick him in the squad???

I'm staggered that half of our best players haven't just said 'f**k this for a joke' and joined the T20 roadshow. The way CA handles selections. Christ on a f**king bike.

The selection side of CA is so bad this forum could do a better job. Legit.

It just boggles the mind some of the shit they manage to come up with. You've got an incumbent opener who had a great shield season, flew over to SA on zero notice, batted pretty well, has played a bunch if Tests and has Test hundreds to his name opening... But without a game even played he's dropped for a bloke who's been playing domestic T20 in England?

Why did he not go in the A tour? Why was he dropped? We'll never get the answers because I genuinely think there are none. It legitimately just as likely these fools just forgot about him

Timbo

Staff member
The selection side of CA is so bad this forum could do a better job. Legit.

It just boggles the mind some of the shit they manage to come up with. You've got an incumbent opener who had a great shield season, flew over to SA on zero notice, batted pretty well, has played a bunch if Tests and has Test hundreds to his name opening... But without a game even played he's dropped for a bloke who's been playing domestic T20 in England?

Why did he not go in the A tour? Why was he dropped? We'll never get the answers because I genuinely think there are none. It legitimately just as likely these fools just forgot about him

Honestly, half the time so do I. It's like they get in front of a camera and a journo goes 'what about the incumbent, Joe Burns?' and they inwardly go 'f**k, forgot about him'.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Tremain and Burns should be there it’s as simple as that, Burns has a decent test record and a Tremain is a decent like for like replacement for Haze.

These blokes have no plan and they contradict themselves every second test match. We are still stuck with that absolute Muppet Sutherland for 12 more months.

Yep. And like I said, wreck the old bastard, not Starc.

It's not a good selection but it's not an atrocious one even if their reasoning is likely wrong
Copeland would have been a good bet. He kept the Blues in matches last year. His 2017/18 record is also better than either Siddle or Doggett.

Bazal

Post Whore
Copeland would have been a good bet. He kept the Blues in matches last year. His 2017/18 record is also better than either Siddle or Doggett.

I think Siddle is more likely to get something out of a dead track than Copeland.

Tremain would have been nice. He's tall and strong and he hits the deck hard so he can extract that variable bounce.

I wouldn't have picked Siddle, but as a fan I'm happy he'll be getting ground into the dirt instead of a Cummins like in India.

In their absensce, both Head and Labuschagne impressed. The South Australian helped himself to a List A ton at the start of the tour before notching half-centuries in both four-dayers, while Labuschange scored two fifties.
I agree with their selections too as Langer made it crystal clear that performances in India would count toward selection for the UAE two tester. Having said that..Kurtis Patterson can count himself unlucky as he averages better than Labu at FC level.

The most bewildering selection for mine is Aaron Finch. If they were looking for some experience at the top of the order then why not give Callum Ferguson a shot ..after all he has a solid Shield record and is only a year older than the Victorian. He has also having a good off season in England in all formats.

Last edited:

mozza91

Coach
The squad reads like a 3rd string South Australian shield squad. We’re gonna get destroyed.

TheParraboy

Staff member
There was an article last summer where Finch said he still had a desire to play test cricket

I think JT remembers that to.....

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fatty Finch is 31, great pick for the future there, I bet they simply see him as a like for like replacement for Warner, they are that simplistic.

And Doggett ? wtf

lockyno1

Post Whore
Burns is a terrible player of spin, if the series was in Australia I'd pick him. Not sure picking Finch is the right call, but it's worth a punt.

Latest posts