What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St Des

TomRedVRiver

Bench
This is a difficult one for me, no doubt Des is a proven quality coach, but there are all these question marks over his lack of care for the junior system, which at our club is SO important. We produce some of the best juniors in the country.

I also don't want to see us lose Demetriou. I have a really sick feeling in my stomach that if we do go for Hasler, McGregor will drop down to assistant and Demetriou will leave (probably to assist Cleary at the Bulldogs).
If we get to keep JD then I say go for it if we can somehow get the cash together.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Maybe this has been in the pipelines for a little while, could explain why Cleary knocked us back... Because the Bulldogs Board got to him first and offered him the job because they always planned to sack Hasler.

To be honest i'd probably prefer Cleary over Hasler.

mobels

Juniors
Wonder were Hasler will be off too, 0% chance he'll becoming to the Dragons but he would've been a good fit for the Warriors had they not just appointed Kearney as the new coach.

Maybe back to the Eagles for 2018?

Dragon Revival

Juniors
The Dogs are in a bit of a shambles. Castles is like Doust and knows bugger all about football. The Dogs have a declining and ageing roster which Castles like Doust has failed to recognise. Their backline is declining with Perrett and Rona leaving and the Morris boys are 30 and getting more injury prone with Hopoate not playing on Sundays. I am sure that Coyne has been brought in to clean the joint up. When interviewed he said that our playing roster was a problem.
Now his Committee has been given the job to fix up the roster and no doubt recommend the next coach. I am sure that he will get good results as he knows what it takes to get to a grand final and obviously knows how to run a business successfully being a successful CEO. He also has strong football
connections and apparently was an assistant coach of the Maroons who are a highly successful football operation.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
The Dogs are in a bit of a shambles. Castles is like Doust and knows bugger all about football. The Dogs have a declining and ageing roster which Castles like Doust has failed to recognise. Their backline is declining with Perrett and Rona leaving and the Morris boys are 30 and getting more injury prone with Hopoate not playing on Sundays. I am sure that Coyne has been brought in to clean the joint up. When interviewed he said that our playing roster was a problem.
Now his Committee has been given the job to fix up the roster and no doubt recommend the next coach. I am sure that he will get good results as he knows what it takes to get to a grand final and obviously knows how to run a business successfully being a successful CEO. He also has strong football
connections and apparently was an assistant coach of the Maroons who are a highly successful football operation.
Dogs are in a bit of a shambles but compared to saints they are in the merry old land of oz.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How funny. FIrstly they still refer to them as a family club every time they can yet there is a Mortimer unsigned and 2 Morris's being paid over 1 mil combined. They are looking after the family from their rivals better that their own. THey mention how they also neglect their juniors further down the article. Great family.

2nd - Lamb said Dessie does not understand the culture. The guy who took out Elery Hanley ilegaly to win a GF. Yeah that will do me. Great culture which I think is still going on seeing salary cap, judicialry and ref treatment. Looks like the culture is stronger than ever. Quality article this.

Would Manly really welcome him back? He dumped them to go to the Dogs, They were in the midst of a FInals campaign and changes to the board and he was holding them ransom for an upgrade to his contract which still had another year to go because the Dogs threw more money at him. He put them in a corner and they stood their ground. If I was Manly I would still be a bit pi$$ed off at how that happened. Pretty poor form especially after winning a GF.

Looking at our signings lately all big forwards it is looking like a Des Hasler team though which is scary. And Leulia will be his Kasiano clone I gather that is IF he would even consider moving to the Dragons. With a payout of 1.2 mil he may not ask for much for next year since the Dogs have paid for it but ask for an big salary the following years. Could work in the Dragons favour with the FAMILY club paying for the rivals to get an upgraded coach. All we need now is to get Mortimer as a utility in our team and turn him into a gun.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I know he won 2 GF's one with a Storm minus Cam Smith and the other a Warriors which usually choke on the big games. But he also got outplayed in 2 when his side was up against a quality side not 2 understrength or choking sides.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I know he won 2 GF's one with a Storm minus Cam Smith and the other a Warriors which usually choke on the big games. But he also got outplayed in 2 when his side was up against a quality side not 2 understrength or choking sides.
You are still taking the piss right? Regardless of who the opposition was they still had to beat 14 other teams to make the big dance in the first place. We played the Roosters who were our bitches in 09' and 10', does that make our win any less credible?

giboz71

First Grade
Hasler is like any coach. If he has no tools at his disposal, he will fail. We saw it with Bennett in Newcastle, hence he jumped ship, so he can strap himself back into a Ferrari which is the Brisbane Broncos.

Coaching is just part of the story. Development of players, recruitment, pathways for junior systems also sits as key KPI's for a head coach. And from the sounds of it, this is where Hasler has failed and he is being called into account. It's certainly not about his coaching.

This is why I laugh when people here say that all we have to do is replace Mary and that will solve all our problems. Newsflash - a new coach will not solve the holes in our roster. Recruitment decisions that has seen Benji Marshall, Tim Lafai, Dane Nielsen, Dylan Farrell, Peter Matau'tia, Eto Nabuli, Jake Marketo et al, whilst not retaining the likes of Jack Bird will lead us to exactly where we are. Nowhere.

No coach no matter how good will succeed unless he has the right players. Gus Gould says it all the time, players make coaches look good, moreso than the other way around. The demise of Hasler at the Dogs being a prime example.

As they say, you can't polish a turd. And our recruitment has been a pile of sh*t for a very long time..

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Hasler is like any coach. If he has no tools at his disposal, he will fail. We saw it with Bennett in Newcastle, hence he jumped ship, so he can strap himself back into a Ferrari which is the Brisbane Broncos.

Coaching is just part of the story. Development of players, recruitment, pathways for junior systems also sits as key KPI's for a head coach. And from the sounds of it, this is where Hasler has failed and he is being called into account. It's certainly not about his coaching.

This is why I laugh when people here say that all we have to do is replace Mary and that will solve all our problems. Newsflash - a new coach will not solve the holes in our roster. Recruitment decisions that has seen Benji Marshall, Tim Lafai, Dane Nielsen, Dylan Farrell, Peter Matau'tia, Eto Nabuli, Jake Marketo et al, whilst not retaining the likes of Jack Bird will lead us to exactly where we are. Nowhere.

No coach no matter how good will succeed unless he has the right players. Gus Gould says it all the time, players make coaches look good, moreso than the other way around. The demise of Hasler at the Dogs being a prime example.

As they say, you can't polish a turd. And our recruitment has been a pile of sh*t for a very long time..

Bennett took the knights to a semi-final in 2013 from nothing. A great coach will get the absolute best out of his players, look at what Bennett and Flanagan have done with someone like Matt Prior. He was a fringe first grader at best but these great coaches have turned him into a quality forward. Neville Costigan came from nowhere, Bennett turned him into an Origin quality forward.
Cheyse Blair and Ryan Morgan with Bellamy, the list goes on.

You're right, a good roster helps, and to be fair I think we have a pretty decent roster right now, it's about how the roster is utilised and how each player is managed individually. Maybe someone like Hasler or Cleary could get the best out of someone like Hutchison or Mann?
It's clear that McGregor isn't inspiring the players to reach their heights.

giboz71

First Grade
So you're saying Mary with a Million bucks to spend on resources could dominate?

Nope. Absolutely not.

Mary is a sh*t coach, and will fail whether has has a good roster or not.

But the Hasler example at the Dogs just highlights that not even a super coach with an unlimited budget will succeed if he gets recruitment decisions wrong.

And let's face it, even though they made the semis, they were deadset as bad as us when it came to the brand of footy they played. The only difference was, he had the most expensive forward pack in the comp.

I'm not surprised he's under fire given the quality of footy they played. The Dogs are a quality organisation, they won't stand for the type of footy they delivered.

Only we would it seems.

BennyV

Referee
Lol we saw Bennett take an ordinary squad to a semi final in his second year at the helm, before the paralysis of a team member and players not being paid destroyed him.

...kinda goes right against proving your point...

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Nope. Absolutely not.

Mary is a sh*t coach, and will fail whether has has a good roster or not.

But the Hasler example at the Dogs just highlights that not even a super coach with an unlimited budget will succeed if he gets recruitment decisions wrong.

And let's face it, even though they made the semis, they were deadset as bad as us when it came to the brand of footy they played. The only difference was, he had the most expensive forward pack in the comp.

I'm not surprised he's under fire given the quality of footy they played. The Dogs are a quality organisation, they won't stand for the type of footy they delivered.

Only we would it seems.

The Bulldogs attack this year has been fairly vanilla it's true, luckily they've had quality players in their team who could improvise. From what I remember our attack in 2010 was also pretty vanilla, we were winning games on our defence, and our backline shifts were always pretty predictable, it was just hard to stop because we hd players like Boyd, Cooper and Morris finishing.

What I don't understand is that when Hasler was at Manly, they had some of the most innovative attacking structures at the time. Albeit they had a pretty unbelievable backline then, but they were scoring a lot of points and their style wasn't predictable at all.
That confuses me, because that doesn't seem to have translated to the Bulldogs. Is Hasler even in charge of attacking structures? Maybe that's the attacking coach to blame.

giboz71

First Grade
Lol we saw Bennett take an ordinary squad to a semi final in his second year at the helm, before the paralysis of a team member and players not being paid destroyed him.

...kinda goes right against proving your point...

After having Jeremy Smith and Beau Scott come on board, the year after Darius Boyd joined him from the Dragons. Was hardly a poor squad.

Latest posts