What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Bank pull sponsorship after 40 years

Eion

First Grade
It may not feel like it, but this may be the best thing longer term for your club.

I wonder if $1M guaranteed every year has contributed to making your head office lazy and not as professional as it needs to be.

Could well be the rock bottom needed to rebuild everything.

And banks are merkins.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Finished as a club is so funny.

In every scenario where the club finds any success in the shorter term, this has to happen. Board have nowhere to hide anymore. Tigers win streak couldn't have come at a worse time for them because now the media vultures have chosen them as their new targets

getsmarty

Immortal

getsmarty

Immortal

jc155776

Coach
Perth is nice. You’ll get use to it. Good trip with friends/family once a year to watch them play. Perth Steelers also ties in nicely to the iron ore business over that way.

Do you prefer playing at Optus or HBF stadium? Maybe HBF is better, still holds 20k, facilities just not as good for corporates. But you don’t have a sponsor so probably not an issue.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Will actually be good for us to get a new sponsor, hopefully that pays more than $1m a year, back in 2017 the roosters jersey sponsors where paying combined approx $2.2m, wonder how much we get from our other sponsors i reckon we dont even get close to the 2017 rooster amount..
Also potential new jersey sales etc, teams should really change every 5 years or so to bring in more merchant sales..

jc155776

Coach
Will actually be good for us to get a new sponsor, hopefully that pays more than $1m a year, back in 2017 the roosters jersey sponsors where paying combined approx $2.2m, wonder how much we get from our other sponsors i reckon we dont even get close to the 2017 rooster amount..
Also potential new jersey sales etc, teams should really change every 5 years or so to bring in more merchant sales..
Oh for sure this is totally a good thing and sponsors are falling over themselves in a recession to align themselves with organisations going so strongly like the Dragons.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
How sickening is this article of the St George bank pulling out by having a picture of JDB. And they mention off field behaviour as 1 reason. To me looking at it without reading the article you can think that the sponsors were so pi$$ed that JDB was made captain last week which was the last straw and they pulled out. I am sure that is how they positioned the picture in the article which is pretty sad for JDB.

Clearly the sponsor is pi$$ed with how poorly the club is being run especially giving Hook the extension when he should have been sacked as they did not have plans to keep him past 2023. Look at the Storm, they have a coach lined up for when their coach retires and Saints had nobody ready to step in once they sacked their worst coach in history. The club basically wasted this season thinking all is sweet we will still get our 1mil plus from the sponsor regardless of performance and then we can waste another year or 2 getting a new coach and giving him time which in fact is giving them more time so they can get away with poor performances. The board is a disgrace and has no ambition or drive for success. It is all about them keeping their jobs for the boys.

Having a good coach and getting the best out of your players is so key to running a club. You would think they learnt that with those 3 years of Bennett when Saints were the benchmark. From memory the club made more profits those years than any others. No surprises there, the team was performing and the fans were killing seats and buying merchandise. Sponsors wanted to be a part of that as well. Obviously nothing learnt there are they gave the worst SGI coach in history an extra season in the hope he can get some improvement so they can extend him for more seasons.

Illusion

Bench
BREAKING NEWS ! ! !

Peter Doust and some of his cronies have made discreet enquires about employment at Newtown .

Apparently the blue bags have told them that their club still retains some sense of respectability and sent the beggars packing !
It Ain't Over Until The Fat Lady Sings . . . . I think she has no more to sing ........

Latest posts