What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Bank pull sponsorship after 40 years

Somehow i dont think this will happen for a few reasons. Firstly St George Bank is synonymous with us, and I think it would very much damage their brand to leave us. Secondly imagine if another Bank-say Bendigo Bank-stepped in and picked up the St George colours. Marketing wise it would be fantastic for that Bank to have St George Banks colours for free, and there would be nothing St George Bank could do about it. Im hoping rather that this is the sponsors way of forcing us to lift our game, and getting some free publicity at the same time. I dont think the board saw this one coming so im hoping theyre shitting bricks now and will move quickly to straighten things up. There had better be some movement by the board now. If only that members meeting was this week-could you imagine the uproar. However i might just be dreaming as well-you never can tell with the Dragons anymore

Peach & Apricot

Juniors
Somehow i dont think this will happen for a few reasons. Firstly St George Bank is synonymous with us, and I think it would very much damage their brand to leave us. Secondly imagine if another Bank-say Bendigo Bank-stepped in and picked up the St George colours. Marketing wise it would be fantastic for that Bank to have St George Banks colours for free, and there would be nothing St George Bank could do about it. Im hoping rather that this is the sponsors way of forcing us to lift our game, and getting some free publicity at the same time. I dont think the board saw this one coming so im hoping theyre shitting bricks now and will move quickly to straighten things up. There had better be some movement by the board now. If only that members meeting was this week-could you imagine the uproar. However i might just be dreaming as well-you never can tell with the Dragons anymore

LOL you really don't get it, St George Bank are ending their sponsorship because Peter Doust's NRL team are so embarrassingly inept that the association is damaging to the bank.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
St George Bank will probably gain customers by dropping their association with an inept rugby league club. Bendigo Bank already sponsor a successful AFL club so I can't see them or anyone else rushing in to fill the void. End result is that's $1 million per year the club will no longer have. Be as optimistic as you like but reality says this is a disaster. The Board needs to come up with a response and a plan going forward. I don't think they have it in them. I think it's more likely they'll sack Webb and order another round of Crown Lagers.

dungay dragon

Juniors
I’m sure our brains trust are working on our next major sponsor to take us into the future.

Someone like St.George Ovens & Appliances would be a great fit, as we are cooked!
Guys
This has been a major beat up to coincide with the Ryles debacle
YES SGB are pulling their Sponsorship dollars BUT NOT till the end of 2024
Gives our beleagured CEO plenty of time to find another
Anyone wanting to hear his interview this morning....is on the SEN 1170 pod cast
On the Coaching predicament Go After the most experienced Tender out there and get it done Quick....pref Flannigan
As i mentioned some years ago on this Site
We are a poorly run Amateur NSW Cup Club playing in the NRL .
If we cant survive where we are Perhaps its best to look at relocation to either Brisbane or Perth ........or we just fizzle out like the Bears and the Jets , and play where we currently belong NSW Cup .........

Draginzaaar

Bench
Yeah i do, we have always taken under's for the jersey sponsorship because we valued loyalty that the partners provided, we basically went from Penfold's to StGeorge Bank, we have had 2 major sponsors for like 40-45 years, this is a great opportunity to get market value and sure we may not be going great currently but there is hope, its not the end of the world, wouldn't surprise me if we get a big red W on our jersey.
We had Newmans and Integral before St George Bank.

St George Bank will probably gain customers by dropping their association with an inept rugby league club. Bendigo Bank already sponsor a successful AFL club so I can't see them or anyone else rushing in to fill the void. End result is that's $1 million per year the club will no longer have. Be as optimistic as you like but reality says this is a disaster. The Board needs to come up with a response and a plan going forward. I don't think they have it in them. I think it's more likely they'll sack Webb and order another round of Crown Lagers.
I understand what you’re saying but i was just trying to be positive in a sea of negativity recently. Bendigo Bank was just an example- it could be any bank. I just thought it was a great marketing opportunity for a bank to jump onboard on our way up. And im certain we will be on our way up soon. Despite all the bad rumblings i think the loss of a major sponsor will force our board to act responsibly for once.
However as usual im not holding my breath. History is not on my side regarding this.
But i love St George and im sure we’ll be better soon

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I understand what you’re saying but i was just trying to be positive in a sea of negativity recently. Bendigo Bank was just an example- it could be any bank. I just thought it was a great marketing opportunity for a bank to jump onboard on our way up. And im certain we will be on our way up soon. Despite all the bad rumblings i think the loss of a major sponsor will force our board to act responsibly for once.
However as usual im not holding my breath. History is not on my side regarding this.
But i love St George and im sure we’ll be better soon
You're right. Very easy to be pessimistic at this point in time. I'll wait and see what management's response is to the various crises before commenting further.

Parko1310

Juniors
You're right. Very easy to be pessimistic at this point in time. I'll wait and see what management's response is to the various crises before commenting further.
The response will be something along the lines of:

"The Dragons are proud to announce the appointment of premiership winning captain Ben Hornby as the club's head coach for 2 seasons starting in 2024. Ben has been an assistant at South Sydney since 2021, where he was mentored under the likes of Wayne Bennett and Jason Demetriou".

"Joining Ben will be fellow premiership teammate Dean Young who will act as an assistant coach from 2024 onwards".

Good on you Dragons, what a recipe for success this will be!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
More Like this:-

"The Dragons are proud to announce the appointment of cousin to Peter Doust, Ben Doust as the club's head coach for 2 seasons starting in 2024. Ben has been Peter's cousin since birth, where he went to all of Peter's birthdays as a kid".

"Joining Ben will be Tom Newman, nephew of the board member who will act as an assistant coach from 2024 onwards".

Willow

Assistant Moderator
St George Bank's departure really has nothing to do with the team's performance or Jack DeBelin or Jason Ryles.
It probably has everything to do with changes going on within St George/Westpac. It's a business decision and the Club has no control over it.

St George was absorbed by Westpac some years ago and despite their claims to keep trading with the brand, the demise of St George Bank as a name was always going to happen. Just a matter of time.

If the sponsor was unhappy about the Club or players, they would have left years ago. They actually stuck firm during BBQ-gate and JDB episodes. So that theory doesn't wash.

On the upside, St George Bank has been associated with the Club for 40 years. Sponsorships don't last forever. 40 years must be close to a record, so something was getting done right.

The tabloid media and their hacks think otherwise - pessimism rules. Believe them if you like.

Haffa

St George Bank's departure really has nothing to do with the team's performance or Jack DeBelin or Jason Ryles.
It probably has everything to do with changes going on within St George/Westpac. It's a business decision and the Club has no control over it.

St George was absorbed by Westpac some years ago and despite their claims to keep trading with the brand, the demise of St George Bank as a name was always going to happen. Just a matter of time.

If the sponsor was unhappy about the Club or players, they would have left years ago. They actually stuck firm during BBQ-gate and JDB episodes. So that theory doesn't wash.

On the upside, St George Bank has been associated with the Club for 40 years. Sponsorships don't last forever. 40 years must be close to a record, so something was getting done right.

The tabloid media and their hacks think otherwise - pessimism rules. Believe them if you like.
Today's internal memo said as much. The opportunity to build on the wider partnership with the NRL and NSWRL made the decision a difficult but perfectly timed one.

They're still major sponsor for 2024.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Today's internal memo said as much. The opportunity to build on the wider partnership with the NRL and NSWRL made the decision a difficult but perfectly timed one.

Indeed. It doesn't sound so bad when you remove the tabloid dramatics.

St George Bank would withdraw as the Dragons’ chief sponsor at the end of the 2024 season, ending an association that dated back to 1977.

Nothing more... nothing less.

dannyt

Coach

Indeed. It doesn't sound so bad when you remove the tabloid dramatics.

St George Bank would withdraw as the Dragons’ chief sponsor at the end of the 2024 season, ending an association that dated back to 1977.

Nothing more... nothing less.
So really a case of buzz-the-alco sticking the boot in?