What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St.George Illawarra: 20 year documentary

I was chatting with a mate recently about the 1998/1999 NRL seasons. And about St.George in particular.

Both of us were 15/16 at the time of the merger and were trying to remember the days and months leading into it and the year that followed and got onto the subject of now that 20 years had past, and the statute of limitations of 'cliche rugby league talk' had expired, we'd love to see a doco about the early days of the merger from the people that were there and involved.

I remember at the time Mark Coyne and Mary (as respective club captains) were very much on board and welcomed it with open arms, as did David Waite. But on the flip side I remember guys like Wishart and even Thommo being a bit anti it as they were both proud Steelers and Saints men and then guys like Barrett, Rodwell and Timmins faced the prospect playing out of position or in reserves to make way for other players.

From a fans perspective too it'd be an interesting thing to hear. As a St.George fan, I woke up one day and suddenly we had a gun team and the word Illawarra at the bottom of our emblem, but a 16 year old Steelers fan woke up and was suddenly supporting St.George.

I can't speak for everyone, and certainly don't wish to spark debate. But I'd love to see a proper documentary on that era of the clubs history and hear from everyone involved and know what was going on behind the scenes.

Unfortunately it will be a short Doco! 1 GF title in 20 years for a supposed super Joint Venture. Only 2 decent coaches in Wayne Bennett & David Waite that both were successful & yet got duded by the club. The Pricey/Mary era will be edited out!

May have missed the point. I'm not suggesting a Doco of the whole 20 years, just a Doco of the joint ventures formation from the people and players involved at the time.

At the time I'm sure they were all gagged to say the supportive words to the media, but 20 years on it'd be great to hear the story from the point of view of the people and players who were involved at the time.

Whatever came after, '99 was a very successful year and would love to know what happened behind the scenes and how these two tribes came together to make the GF.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
David Waite was not on board mate.
Actually David Waite was there as co-coach in 1999.
Link: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1999.php

It was in 2000 that the club board decided not to extend Waite's contract - he was still technically co-coach until the end of 2000.
http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/2000-2002.php

The memory I have of this is that Andrew Farrar had the support of the Illawarra side of the JV. There was even a quote somewhere that said Farrar didn't get enough credit for the 1999 season, and people were rumouring that it all thanks to Waite.

As it turns out the people and their rumours were probably right.

merahputih

Juniors
I was chatting with a mate recently about the 1998/1999 NRL seasons. And about St.George in particular.

Both of us were 15/16 at the time of the merger and were trying to remember the days and months leading into it and the year that followed and got onto the subject of now that 20 years had past, and the statute of limitations of 'cliche rugby league talk' had expired, we'd love to see a doco about the early days of the merger from the people that were there and involved.

I remember at the time Mark Coyne and Mary (as respective club captains) were very much on board and welcomed it with open arms, as did David Waite. But on the flip side I remember guys like Wishart and even Thommo being a bit anti it as they were both proud Steelers and Saints men and then guys like Barrett, Rodwell and Timmins faced the prospect playing out of position or in reserves to make way for other players.

From a fans perspective too it'd be an interesting thing to hear. As a St.George fan, I woke up one day and suddenly we had a gun team and the word Illawarra at the bottom of our emblem, but a 16 year old Steelers fan woke up and was suddenly supporting St.George.

I can't speak for everyone, and certainly don't wish to spark debate. But I'd love to see a proper documentary on that era of the clubs history and hear from everyone involved and know what was going on behind the scenes.
I was working in the Northern Territory in 1999 when the JV happened. Being a Dragons supporter since school days I was a bit surprised when I learnt of it in the little bit of League news that reached Darwin in those days (more of an AFL town). I had mixed feelings about it but thought the redeeming feature would be the huge junior base that would sustain the new team which was already brimming with talent. I was soon brought down to earth as time went on and the golden era never eventuated after the heartbreak of the 1999 GF. It would be 10 years until a brief period of professionalism under Bennett broke the drought.

TruSaint

Referee
Actually David Waite was there as co-coach in 1999.
Link: http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/1999.php

It was in 2000 that the club board decided not to extend Waite's contract - he was still technically co-coach until the end of 2000.
http://jubileeavenue.com.au/history/2000-2002.php

The memory I have of this is that Andrew Farrar had the support of the Illawarra side of the JV. There was even a quote somewhere that said Farrar didn't get enough credit for the 1999 season, and people were rumouring that it all thanks to Waite.

As it turns out the people and their rumours were probably right.

No I meant he wasnt "on board" ( pro ), with the JV. Just referring to the OP as to who was "on bpard , in the sense or for the JV.
I should have made that clearer.

TruSaint

Referee
Was he not? I thought he enjoyed coaching the side that year.

See, all the more reason for this Doco.

Refer to my reply to @Willow , SOG, I needed to clear it up in case u misunderstood. David was not for the JV... I know this as a fact.. Of course he was coach. I had the pleasure of meeting him only days after he was replaced in his office. He was livid.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Unfortunately it will be a short Doco! 1 GF title in 20 years for a supposed super Joint Venture. Only 2 decent coaches in Wayne Bennett & David Waite that both were successful & yet got duded by the club. The Pricey/Mary era will be edited out!

I’m unsure how Bennett could’ve been “dudded”. If anything, the Club (i.e. Doust) wronged him by not offering him the five-year deal he originally wanted.

Unless, that’s what you mean.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I’m unsure how Bennett could’ve been “dudded”. If anything, the Club (i.e. Doust) wronged him by not offering him the five-year deal he originally wanted.

Unless, that’s what you mean.
Yes Saint JG that's what I meant, he wanted 5 years & yet the club only offered him a 3 year term, then tried to extend the term once the horse had bolted.
As for Waite being replaced by Andrew Farrar, well that was pure Illawarra mafia & defies logic. They wanted something besides the socks & we've still paying with Mary McChosen-one.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Yes Saint JG that's what I meant, he wanted 5 years & yet the club only offered him a 3 year term, then tried to extend the term once the horse had bolted.
As for Waite being replaced by Andrew Farrar, well that was pure Illawarra mafia & defies logic. They wanted something besides the socks & we've still paying with Mary McChosen-one.

I’d say the 70-10 debacle at the MCG sealed Waite’s fate. There were also allegations that he couldn’t adjust to younger players.

Whatever that’s supposed to mean.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
No I meant he wasnt "on board" ( pro ), with the JV. Just referring to the OP as to who was "on bpard , in the sense or for the JV.
I should have made that clearer.
Fair enough. That makes more sense.

Saw him wandering along the waterfront on the Gold Coast about 10 or 12 years ago. It crossed my mind to ask him to come back and coach us.