What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stadium Upgrade

I was hoping that they'd sell off the current stadium and instead sink money into a new stadium in a much better location, particularly with Wollongong being mentioned as a potential FIFA WC city. This puts an end to that (Noreen Hay has NFI). The current site probably costs an extra 3/4 thousand for games due to it's difficult location.

However, the new stand will be much better than what we have currently and will be good to sit in a seat on the main wing, as the old stand holds bugger all.

nqcowboy87

Bench
isnt that stand part of the original showground and they just tacked corporate/coaches boxes on. itd be sad to see it go though

flamin

Juniors
Woohoo. Agree with Man of Steel that a new stadium in a central location on the rail line would be much better but since thats very unlikely this is still good news.

gong_eagle

First Grade
624192.jpg

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...n-stadium-to-get-289mil-makeover/1651650.aspx

WIN Stadium to get $28.9mil makeover

BY BRETT COX
17/10/2009 4:00:00 AM
http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...n-stadium-to-get-289mil-makeover/1651650.aspx

The future of major sport and entertainment events in Wollongong has been assured, with a State Government commitment yesterday to build a new $28.9 million western grandstand at WIN Stadium within three years.The decision guarantees the long-term presence of the St George Illawarra Dragons NRL side in the city and boosts plans to one day establish an A-League football team within the region.
The two-tiered grandstand will include 6170 covered seats, increasing the ground's total capacity by 3758 to 23,150.
The announcement by Premier Nathan Rees followed agreement by State Cabinet on Tuesday to go ahead with the plan after a decade of lobbying from sporting, business and community leaders, including Illawarra MPs Noreen Hay and David Campbell.
Mr Rees said the Federal Government would be approached to pay half the cost of the new grandstand - but insisted the project would go ahead with or without national funds.
"A great city merits a great stadium," Mr Rees said.
"This is an upgrade the people of the Illawarra deserve and that the people of the Illawarra will get.
"Many years ago now the Government helped fund the Northern Grandstand and now it's time to finish the job, replacing the 50-year-old western grandstand and putting a brand-new state-of-the-art facility in."
The new grandstand is a more modest version of an initial $47 million proposal which included a hotel and walkway to the Steelers Club. It was rejected by the Treasury.
Included are four commercial areas facing Harbour St that will be put up for lease, two function areas and media facilities.
The western change room will be relocated to the southern grandstand, where minor refurbishments will occur, including the upgrade of corporate boxes.

j0nesy

Bench
Great to hear that it's finally official. As for the current stadium being too far from the train station, it's only a 10 minute walk, 15 maximum. And if the walk is too far then why not catch the free bus which runs every 15-30 minutes? It is a little bit of a hassle to drive there I suppose, but most regional grounds are.

Stagger eel

Staff member
honestly, I hate Manly like the rest of the non Manly supporters, but f**k me, they're getting a raw deal..

beave

Coach
awesome news for the Dragons/Wollongong fans. That Western stand they currently have is like ours up here, very inadequate in this day and age.

Feel for the manly fans though as the previous poster has said, what the f#$k does it take for that joint to get some upgrade funding?

This government wont be in power in 18 months time , so really this project needs opposition backing otherwise it wont get built. Unless construction starts before the election , however that sounds unlikely given the 3 year timetable.

nqcowboy87

Bench
awesome news for the Dragons/Wollongong fans. That Western stand they currently have is like ours up here, very inadequate in this day and age.

Feel for the manly fans though as the previous poster has said, what the f#$k does it take for that joint to get some upgrade funding?

our grandstand isnt that bad

beave

Coach
It was built in 1983 and it holds 3500 people.....................it's woeful. It should have been knocked down years ago and built again. Or even another tier built up over the top of it.

DFS%20Aerial.jpg

Last edited:
Doubtful.

I don't know about that.

The area has been lost federally to the greens before so clearly they are labors main opposition. Unless a strong independent candidate pops up. Offcourse given the recent history of local pilolitics that may not happen.

If there is ever going to be a state election where the greens do well this will be it. Labor have managed to just about piss off everyone.

I don't know about that.

The area has been lost federally to the greens before so clearly they are labors main opposition. Unless a strong independent candidate pops up. Offcourse given the recent history of local pilolitics that may not happen.

If there is ever going to be a state election where the greens do well this will be it. Labor have managed to just about piss off everyone.

Yes, the Illawarra Labor MPs must be very worried. Their only hope is that they face no credible opponents (which is a fair chance).

watatank

Coach
I don't know about that.

For some odd reason I thought you were talking about the federal seats. It could happen (as said it's happened before) but i can't see us losing it for a while. State level it's definitely very open.