What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stamped never to play origin again

I don't recall Stewart gifting any tries to QLD wingers last night.
And never looked like scoring one either. Or doing anything else of note. There were two fullbacks on the field in blue jerseys and the one with number one on his back was the second best of them... by a mile.

Glen

Bench
And he played better than Stewart did last night.
I think you need to go back and watch it again. Mini choked in game three and had a shocker. It was nice of his mate Ricky to do him a favour though and give him another run.

I'm a big fan of giving Hayne the fullback spot, but I don't think our boring, uncreative attack gave Stewart much opportunity last night. Hayne did a lot of great dummy half running and worked well with Jennings on the edge

That's right. Hayne created chances. Stewart did nothing. If he's not chasing grubber kicks in a club game he doesn't know what to do. And although we didn't see it last night he is also a turnstile one on one. usually doesn't even try and make a tackle if he is caught in that situation. My point about Mini was that he would have done a better job, not that he should be the fullback.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
And never looked like scoring one either. Or doing anything else of note. There were two fullbacks on the field in blue jerseys and the one with number one on his back was the second best of them... by a mile.

You were comparing him to Mince, not Hayne. Stewart may not have scored any points, but he sure as shit didn't give tries away.

He ran for 126m, made 3 tackle breaks and no errors last night.

Meanwhile Mince's last game in the sky blue saw only 78m, 3 tackle breaks and 2 errors (one leading directly to a QLD try).

I fail to see how he would have done better last night based on history.

^_^

Juniors
NSW could not get one try through the hands last night.....i wouldnt blame the fullback for this fact. Halves need to step up for game 2 and get the ball to the outside men early or go for an overlap either through the hands or via a run. Pretty sure Trex and Glenn often get the ball from the Manly halves while running set plays which works great, Pearce/Carney need more game time with these players, just think Ricky needs to sort out his bench which he f**ked up for game 1.

chrisD

Coach
Hayne is always the best back in NSW, but I'm not sure how that doesn't mean Mini isn't f**king long past SOO.

^_^

Juniors
That's right. Hayne created chances. Stewart did nothing. If he's not chasing grubber kicks in a club game he doesn't know what to do. And although we didn't see it last night he is also a turnstile one on one. usually doesn't even try and make a tackle if he is caught in that situation. My point about Mini was that he would have done a better job, not that he should be the fullback.

Wow your talking about a player who threw his body at Lote one on one to stop a try and f**ked his knee... If anything he is right up there with last line of defence, one on one tackles.

Nope. If you watch him one on one when a bloke makes a break he takes the Puig Aubert approach - if the line can't stop 'em I'm not going to bother.

The right side defence might have been caught out a couple of times last night but there was certainly no sign of any last ditch efforts from the fullback to get across, even when it was clear Qld were going to go in at the corner unless some came across. Compare that to the scramble in the Qld defence.

I had my doubts that he would step up and play with the intensity required for Origin but thought he deserved a chance to show he could seeing as he's been good at club level for a long time without being given a go. But he didn't add any spark or show near enough urgency at times and that is what was required. It's not as if he was on the end of a side that didn't dominate field position or possession either. The halves might not have fired but it didn't prevent the likes of Hayne or Jennings or aven some of the forwards making an impression.

chrisD

Coach
Hayne at FB will cover for the inevitable failing of either(possibly both) Pearce or(and) Carney.

NSW could not get one try through the hands last night.....i wouldnt blame the fullback for this fact. Halves need to step up for game 2 and get the ball to the outside men early or go for an overlap either through the hands or via a run. Pretty sure Trex and Glenn often get the ball from the Manly halves while running set plays which works great, Pearce/Carney need more game time with these players, just think Ricky needs to sort out his bench which he f**ked up for game 1.

that's a bit difficult when the dummy half intends on taking it himself for a bit of a run before distributing it.

Farah looked good and deserves to be there. stole good metres from dummy half in the opening 10-15 min on the back of good go forward from Tamou in particular. has a good kicking game which led to a try, albeit a field kick that can land either way. but otherwise, he needs to get the ball out of dummy half to allow the 2 blokes NSW have selected as their main halves the opportunity to put on attacking plays instead of going for a diagonal jog then handing over the ball once the halves have the defensive line in their face. this doesn't help the halves to threaten the line or orchestrate attacking forays.

watch smith and QLDs first two tries. the dummy half doesn't have to be 'the main show' to be effectively doing their job.

^_^

Juniors
that's a bit difficult when the dummy half intends on taking it himself for a bit of a run before distributing it.

Farah looked good and deserves to be there. stole good metres from dummy half in the opening 10-15 min on the back of good go forward from Tamou in particular. has a good kicking game which led to a try, albeit a field kick that can land either way. but otherwise, he needs to get the ball out of dummy half to allow the 2 blokes NSW have selected as their main halves the opportunity to put on attacking plays instead of going for a diagonal jog then handing over the ball once the halves have the defensive line in their face. this doesn't help the halves to threaten the line or orchestrate attacking forays.

watch smith and QLDs first two tries. the dummy half doesn't have to be 'the main show' to be effectively doing their job.

Yeh definitely agree, although it was great work maybe Farah overplayed his hand as it seemed by the time the backs got the ball they were jammed with the defense in their faces. This doesnt suite 2nd man plays etc which Carney, Stewart bros are good at. Hopefully they change it up in game 2. I think these guys have the skill to win, just like i said throw another prop on the bench and add Watmough for Buhrer/Creagh.

East Coast Tiger although i agree Brett had a quiet game i think your way off in saying he does not attempt tackles if they break the line, i mean everyone has their bad days but one of his best assets besides his passing/support is his defense. I also ask how many tries did Slater lay on for QLD yesterday, how many errors or metres did he make compared to Stewart, neither were flashy but with players like Hayne, Jennings, Uate who are flashy does it really hurt NSW to have a safe fullback who can slot in very well with backline raids if the halves can organise it.

Look as a Manly fan I'd love if he came back to play for Manly, just like Choc did on the weekend and played out of his skin...but I also want NSW to finally build a solid team and I have seen enough of Brett to know he has what it takes (i just f**king hope he proves it cause i hate losing to QLD)

macnaz

Staff member

Farah made the attacking plays, if players supported him you wouldnt need to be saying he ran on his f**king own.

Tiger Hawk

Bench
The last couple of posts criticising Farah are confusing to say the least. NRLstats indicate he made 8 dummy half runs for 76 metres and 1 hitup for 0 metres from his 87 touches. He didn't drift sideways and hand off to either of Pearce or Carney once. He also didn't jog at the line. He made 8 great runs from hooker and stole almost 10 metres a run. Those runs amount to less than 10% of his overall touches.

He may be guilty of doing that in club footy but you were watching a different game Wednesday night if you accuse him of hogging the ball or drifting sideways at the expense of Carney or Pearce. Or you just dislike Farah.

Hutty1986

Immortal
How the f*ck can anyone have a go at Farah's performance? He was very, very good & I was happy for him to show his critics that he has what it takes. What's a better alternative, go back to the worst hooker in the NRL, Mick Ennis? FFS, the bloke deserves some credit.

betcats

Referee
How the f*ck can anyone have a go at Farah's performance? He was very, very good & I was happy for him to show his critics that he has what it takes. What's a better alternative, go back to the worst hooker in the NRL, Mick Ennis? FFS, the bloke deserves some credit.

+1

Farah was very good.

I'm not saying he wasn't any good.

You blokes need to learn how to comprehend a bit. Have I said that he should be replaced?

I've commended his performance in where it was good, and criticised where it was selfish or not disciplined.

He made lots of metres on the back of great forward momentum from the NSW middle men in the opening exchange, and got through a lot of defence. He was exceptional in these areas.

But the selfish play was there to see - he made sideways darts from dummy half and got into the road of Pearce on a couple of occasions, and he also tried to steal a try from dummy half on a 4th tackle when the NSW attack was all ready to put on a move.

Cam Smith can play the same way and would be just as capable at doing exceptional things a lot of the time and take the glory. But then there is team discipline and distributing the ball to the halves quickly and cleanly to give the halves the time for the attack. Farah just needs to fine tune his decisions on when to do it himself and when to distribute - the latter should be the majority of the time.

He can't let the personal shit about any threat to his position get in the way of the team objective.

firechild

First Grade

idiots.jpg