What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STAND UP or SHIP OUT

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Mathew Hayden , Ricky Ponting , Micheal Clarke and Jason Gillespie all need to have a flaming good look at themselves. Honestly Mathew Hayden and Ricky Ponting can get starts, but honestly going on with it is a major concern for both of them. While those two wont be dropped, they really need to stop going for it so early.

Micheal Clarke unfortunately has to go. Micheal Hussey is the most prooven man on English wickets in the world almost and has to be in the side. Tough decision but Clarke ure time will come.

Jason Gillespie is skating on thin ice , and if Micheal Kasprowitz can show me he can bowl in the next 2 matches I would be picking Kasper over gillespie for the first test. Gillespie hasnt done much in a WHILE now, not just this series.

Another change I would make to our side is get some stability at the top of the order. Hussey or Katich should go up to 3 and Ponting can drop down to 4 , 5 or 6 (Honestly anyone whose played cricket will know that if ure good enough to play Test match cricket you should be good enough to go down).

When youve got Hayden and Ponting going so hard early the risk is huge. Get Katich in there to stabalise (like in india) or even Hussey up there to carry us through. Get Ponting in when its a little easier.

Timbo

Staff member
I agree with Katich at 3. He's a natural there, proved it in India.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan said:
Mathew Hayden , Ricky Ponting , Micheal Clarke and Jason Gillespie all need to have a flaming good look at themselves. Honestly Mathew Hayden and Ricky Ponting can get starts, but honestly going on with it is a major concern for both of them. While those two wont be dropped, they really need to stop going for it so early.

Micheal Clarke unfortunately has to go. Micheal Hussey is the most prooven man on English wickets in the world almost and has to be in the side. Tough decision but Clarke ure time will come.

Jason Gillespie is skating on thin ice , and if Micheal Kasprowitz can show me he can bowl in the next 2 matches I would be picking Kasper over gillespie for the first test. Gillespie hasnt done much in a WHILE now, not just this series.

Another change I would make to our side is get some stability at the top of the order. Hussey or Katich should go up to 3 and Ponting can drop down to 4 , 5 or 6 (Honestly anyone whose played cricket will know that if ure good enough to play Test match cricket you should be good enough to go down).

When youve got Hayden and Ponting going so hard early the risk is huge. Get Katich in there to stabalise (like in india) or even Hussey up there to carry us through. Get Ponting in when its a little easier.

I agree with some points.

Hussey for Clarke is a must in my book. It is not just the fact that Michael Clarke has struggled in the UK at the moment he did for his county and he struggled out here last summer after his ton at the GABBA.

Kasper has been ordinary over there as well. Dizzy has bowled very poorly over there. Maybe we take a punt on Shaun Tait.

Ponting has got starts as has Hayden. Actually Hayden has got some scores as well. The three day games leading into the tests will give more of a clue. Langer will be over there by then and I rate him very highly. There is no need to move Ponting to 4. Martyn has been very solid for Australia in the 5 day game for a while now at test level so stick with him. I'd be inclined at present to go with.

Hayden
Langer
Ponting
Martyn
Hussey
Katich
Gilchrist
Warne
Lee
Tait
McGrath

The only problem is that Lee and Tait could be very erratic. Although Lee has bowled very well over there at present. But the 3 day stuff is where the real tour begins. The little URN is what it's all about.

Lee only poses as a real threat with the new ball, so I think that if England survive his early onslaught, he will be useless. McGrath will bowl line and length with or without the new ball.

As for the other bowling spot, we need someone who can move the old ball and still have an effect. If the wicket will turn, take MacGill, he is a threat to the poms, someone they haven't seen alot of this tour or in the past. Also Tait is a real goer. In fact, I'd have confidence in him being a stand out on debut, simply because he can bowl well with an old or a new ball. He has the ability to damage batting attacks with reverse swing, and has a very effective yorker. The lack of form from dizzy and kasper this tour points towards taking a gamble with the 4th bowler.