What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard Liege banner

Big Sam

First Grade
I know we have a banner/tifo thread but I thought this one deserved its own thread because it's one of the worst I've seen.

The match was Standard Liege v Anderlecht in Belgium on Sunday - a national rivalry - and the head in question is Steven Defour's, formerly of Standard but now of Anderlecht (after a stint in Porto).

I have no idea why he in particular is so hated other than changing to Standard's main rival. I recall him being booed heavily when playing for the Belgium national team in Liege against the Socceroos.

Apparently the fans of Standard had shown the club a different preview banner hence how they were able to get it into the ground.

With all the crap going on in the Middle East currently, how could anyone think this was a good idea?

1422230016033.jpg

Mong

Post Whore
I lol'd a little when I saw it and thought it was well done, although in bad taste.

Big Sam

First Grade
I'm not sure how any normal person could see anything funny about it

Don't get me wrong - just because I think it's vile doesn't mean they shouldn't have a right to do it. Even if it does depict a violent act.

Jimbo

Immortal
Don't get me wrong - just because I think it's vile doesn't mean they shouldn't have a right to do it. Even if it does depict a violent act.

Of course

Real freedom of speech naturally includes the right for people to make offensive statements and be judged accordingly

Jack_Napier

Staff member
It's a ridiculous thing to do. Actually saw someone comment on the pic on FB saying "it's Jason Voorhies, what's the problem?" Talk about missing the freaking point.

Wonder what Defour's opinion on it was?

WireMan

Bench
Can't really blame him for reacting to it.

Awww poor lad.

You get a French magazine insulting millions but that is ok, we all have to stand by them with regards to free speach, but put a banner which upsets one footballer and some precious fans and bans and fines need handing out!?
Hypocrisy at its finest.

Football fans are not PC, never have been. Deal with it or gtfo.

Big Sam

First Grade
Awww poor lad.

You get a French magazine insulting millions but that is ok, we all have to stand by them with regards to free speach, but put a banner which upsets one footballer and some precious fans and bans and fines need handing out!?
Hypocrisy at its finest.

Football fans are not PC, never have been. Deal with it or gtfo.

Yep, 100%.

Jack_Napier

Staff member
Belgian football league are talking about a 5 year ban now as well for the group that organised it.