What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standing up wobbly after being hit high

oldmancraigy

Coach
I really really really hope the coaching staff are all over this new rule Brian Smith style.

When a prop gets contacted in the head around the 20 minute mark, they need to stay down. The trainer then needs to get them up all wobbly on their feet and acting drugged out. Seeming "unlikely to return"
Free interchange
Penalty
Opposition player in the bin for 10
Prop miraculously recovers and passes the HIA and comes back on after 15m.
Another free interchange.

We are morons if we don't exploit it.

I really really really hope the coaching staff are all over this new rule Brian Smith style.

When a prop gets contacted in the head around the 20 minute mark, they need to stay down. The trainer then needs to get them up all wobbly on their feet and acting drugged out. Seeming "unlikely to return"
Free interchange
Penalty

I think that's one area we've been all over for a while.

strider

Post Whore
I genuinely think it is a ridiculous rule to run with .... yes that was a penalty and yes put him on report .... but he fell into that ... it was not reckless in any way

Taking a player out of the game for 10 minutes is enormous these days .... happy for it to be done on a border line send off but theres no way that was one today

Its another dumb rule from the imbeciles running the game that will see referees feel they MUST rule that way just because the rule has been put there

Free interchange
Penalty

Oh we will exploit it. We are the masters of HIA exploitation.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I genuinely think it is a ridiculous rule to run with .... yes that was a penalty and yes put him on report .... but he fell into that ... it was not reckless in any way

Taking a player out of the game for 10 minutes is enormous these days .... happy for it to be done on a border line send off but theres no way that was one today

Its another dumb rule from the imbeciles running the game that will see referees feel they MUST rule that way just because the rule has been put there

Agreed.

It's the only reason Penrith scored 12 points today, tbh.

strider

Post Whore
Its a rule thats really dangerous .... you could sacrifice a plodder forward late in a game to get an opposition player binned

Basil Brush

Juniors
The refs were pretty good this weekend, but that Jennings sin bin was one of the worst decisions in a long time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
its not what the sin bin is for,

he should have been penalised or sent off, it wasn't a professional foul

Noise

Coach
its not what the sin bin is for,

he should have been penalised or sent off, it wasn't a professional foul

I think the rule has changed this year and the sin bin is used for this kind of thing now as well.

eel01s

Bench
More players will stay down and cop a free interchange if it means the opposition get a player in the bin.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Its a rule thats really dangerous .... you could sacrifice a plodder forward late in a game to get an opposition player binned

Only if he gets hit in the head though, percentages are pretty low

in the mean time you hope the plodder forward doesn't miss 3 tackles leading to tries lol

strider

Post Whore
Only if he gets hit in the head though, percentages are pretty low

in the mean time you hope the plodder forward doesn't miss 3 tackles leading to tries lol
Im not meaning plodder in the sense of someone you wouldnt play other than to take a dive .... i mean a forward who has done his work and with 15 mins to go you are content to take him off and not return ... IF he gets hit high, and yes its a fair IF, then you rort it for all its worth

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not the refs fault that one. Poorly thought response to the perceived penalty of the head bin.
A head bin substitute would make more sense

But the rule isn't even compulsory. It is an option.

Seemed ridiculous to suggest Jennings was aiming to take the guy out of the game....

Strider is right. Get an interchange forward to lead low with his head when he is ready to end his shift. Good chance someone touches his melon, and he can lay down.
If they fail to graze his sconce, he is fallimg forward onto.his belly for a quick play the ball anyway.

Heck, have all the forwards run the ball that way. Any head contact all game is a 15 minute breather and a 10 minute sin bin. Just stand up wobbly and dazed. And act like you have no idea. If they need help, hindy111 can tutor them on that front.

84 Baby

Referee
But the rule isn't even compulsory. It is an option.
So you're saying not only do we have the subjectivity of whether it was a high tackle, whether it's reportable and whether the head binned player will return but also discretion on whether to bin the offender.... FMD why do the NRL even bother writing rules

strider

Post Whore
Latrell Mitchel wasnt binned on friday .... surgess had to go to the head bin .... does it require an inability to walk unaided to judge it binnable?

I said it earlier .... to me it will end up one of those very grey rules where refs will go looking for excuses to use it

Don't you already get a penalty and a free replacement under the HIA rules? It may not always entirely make up for the infringement, but sending a player to the bin tips the balance way too far in the opposite direction.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Latrell Mitchel wasnt binned on friday .... surgess had to go to the head bin .... does it require an inability to walk unaided to judge it binnable?

I said it earlier .... to me it will end up one of those very grey rules where refs will go looking for excuses to use it

It is "if the player seems unlikely to return".

Clearly the rule was put together by a couple of halfwits, or ex players who had been hit in the head too many times.

Just seem "unlikely to return" - fake a vomit or something.

Latest posts