What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach
Also ‘The Cage’ establishes that the helmsman under Pike was a Lt. Jose Tyler and the CMO was a Dr Phil Boyce, who was then followed by a Dr Mark Piper for the first few episodes of The Original Series before McCoy becomes the doctor.

Dr M’Benga was the deputy CMO under McCoy - he’s present in a few episodes where McCoy is incapacitated and has to act as the doctor.

Why would he be the ships doctor under Pike only to return three doctors later and be the deputy?

Dude at this point if you continue watching you are just going to have to accept that continuity has gone completely out the window and that these are Star Trek "inspired" television shows.

You pretty much know that a multiverse is coming too.

Oh wait, I forgot there pretty much already is one.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Rebooted on the CW?

Looking forward to Londo and G’kar to be gender flipped and de-aged and be the full of angsty sexual tension.

bileduct

Coach
Rebooted on the CW?

Looking forward to Londo and G’kar to be gender flipped and de-aged and be the full of angsty sexual tension.

Yeah, well that's the risk I suppose. The fact that JMS is writing it gives me hope however. If they do gender flip some roles I hope it's more like Battlestar Galactica 2004 and not Ghostbusters 2016.

I'm betting Garibaldi and Franklin get the gender flip. Cameo appearance by Peter Jurasik.

jargan83

Coach
Season 4 trailer for Discovery is out and surprise surprise the universe faces destruction again.

Timbo

Staff member
Season 4 trailer for Discovery is out and surprise surprise the universe faces destruction again.

I was literally logging in to post this and to say the exact same thing when you posted it.

This looks absolutely dire. The entire universe being threatened by a macguffin again, Burnham is whisper-crying, we're straight up told how brave she is in case we missed it the first fifty times they've said it, f**king Gray and Adira staring into each others eyes longingly, Tig Notaro quipping while manning an engineering console, Starfleet once again sending it's most out-dated ship to tackle the galaxy-threatening anomoly, etc. etc. etc.

How do the writers of this show not get it - if every threat is an apocalyptic one, then none of them are. Guess what geniuses, your audience knows you aren't going to blow everything up and kill everyone so there are literally zero stakes when you do this every f**king season. It's maddening.

I think I'll watch the first episode and see how it goes, but it occurred to me today that if this wasn't 'Star Trek' and was just a generic sci-fi show, I'd have given up on it by now. It's just really not very good and the writers seem hell bent on doubling down on all the shit it makes it bad with each passing season.

Eelectrica

Referee
Who needs story when you've got cool VFX right.
Could the current writers watch classic episodes like 'Inner light' or The Storyteller from DS9 I think it was. Just great stories. I can give plenty more examples given time. Can't think of the name but the original series ep that Harlan Ellison wrote. They should watch some of that.

Not saying they all need to be like that, they can still have their barn burners like the Borg eps and Yesterdays Enterprise. They also told great stories as well though, so that was cool.

bileduct

Coach

"Today we seek to understand a threat like none our galaxy has faced before..."

Oh, you mean like the last two seasons of Discovery and the first season of Picard.

Also, is this a CW show now? I couldn't help but notice that almost every person in this trailer is female.

Timbo

Staff member
Just watched the Season 2 finale of Lower Decks.

It’s comfortably the best Trek show running at the moment. It’s amazing how good it is when it has no right to be.

bileduct

Coach
Just watched the Season 2 finale of Lower Decks.

It’s comfortably the best Trek show running at the moment. It’s amazing how good it is when it has no right to be.

Ok asshole, I'll watch the f**king show for f**ks sake.

Timbo

Staff member
Season 4 of Discovery is out.

Except it’s moved from Netflix to Paramount+. I really don’t think I can justify another streaming service for a show that at this point I’m straight up hate-watching.

jargan83

Coach
Haven't seen any of Lower Decks season 2 yet, I assume all of the Star Trek series will move to Paramount + eventually?

Timbo

Staff member
Haven't seen any of Lower Decks season 2 yet, I assume all of the Star Trek series will move to Paramount + eventually?

The old stuff is still on Netflix but you'd have to assume.

If you've got Prime I'd watch S2 of Lower Decks. It's been my favourite series of any of the new treks that have launched over the last few years.

jargan83

Coach
The old stuff is still on Netflix but you'd have to assume.

If you've got Prime I'd watch S2 of Lower Decks. It's been my favourite series of any of the new treks that have launched over the last few years.

I'll harass my brother for his Amazon log in again, it was how I watched Season 1 of Lower Decks and was able to tear through it in under a week.

I've just started Season 4 of TNG on Netflix but my question was more along the lines of future thought, I just assumed it will move as deals with Netflix expire.

Also Paramount/CBS appear antagonizing the fan base in regards to Discovery due to Paramount+ not being available in a lot of countries until 2022, including the UK.

Timbo

Staff member
I'll harass my brother for his Amazon log in again, it was how I watched Season 1 of Lower Decks and was able to tear through it in under a week.

I've just started Season 4 of TNG on Netflix but my question was more along the lines of future thought, I just assumed it will move as deals with Netflix expire.

Also Paramount/CBS appear antagonizing the fan base in regards to Discovery due to Paramount+ not being available in a lot of countries until 2022, including the UK.

This franchise is so good at shooting itself in the foot it isn't even funny.

How do they not process that of all the genres, the ones who are most likely to be tech savvy and able to pirate this are sci-fi fans?

bileduct

Coach
Ok... I must confess that I hate watched it...

The writers of Discovery have got some real f**kin' nerve, man....

What a load of shit, putting Michael in a Kobayashi Maru situation and then have her beat it without cheating. If the point of the episode was to show that Michael is too confident in herself it kinda fails spectacularly given that she got (almost) everyone out alive and we've already had three seasons of her with her head stuck firmly up her own ass that it's kinda redundant by now.

Also, I'm calling it now. The new Voyager is going to be the cause of the YAGDSA.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Read your spoiler. As soon as I saw the episode title I knew what was going to happen.

Remember, she's Spock's hero. He literally never would have become who he is without her. For f**ks sake.

Unsurprisingly, the reviews I read have that episode rated 'C' '5.5/10' and similar. Even Reddit, which is normally full of people who will defend the shit out of this is packed with comments saying they're really not too sure about this.

I can't even be bothered to pirate it to be honest. I just really don't think it's a very good show at all.