What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

starch in rugby league

as you may or may not know when i played the game i was one of those players with a mediocre skill level but outstanding levels of starch, this allowed me to compete on the field and i made me players better, theres no question about that, from the starch i bought to the team

This leads me to the current footballers, we see alot of emphasis on athleticisim, strength, speed, skill level and fitness. This is fair enough but nobody can teach players to have starch, it is perhaps the greatest aspect a footballer can bring to the table.

i have identified my top 10 players with just terrific levels of starch in the nrl after scribbing some notes in my scrapbook

Danny Nutely
Tony Grimaldi
Simon Woolford
Peter Cusack
Steve Southern
Shaun Berrigan
Chris Heightington
Paul Gallen
Dean Young
Steve Price

you will notice these players dont have the "model footballer" skill aspects but they have bucket loads of starch and week in week out they do the job for their team. Darren Senter and Scott Sattler also had great starch levels and their leadership around the ruck is missed by wests tigers who capitulate in any games where the pressure is on and they look around and they cant find any starch.

im sure you will all agree with my views. i invite you all to suggest another player with starch and i will review the situation and decide whether your suggestion was decent or rubbish.

lego man thats a interesting suggestion although at times i question whether monty crosses the line from starch to pure madness. players with starch are often lower profile players, sometimes monty goes out of his way to bring ill discipline to the game and thats not true starch, you may say the same could be said for simon woolford and darren senter, but if you look closer you will find these players are quite discipline and have good leadership qualities, betham was sacked as a captain.

Lego_Man

First Grade
croydon Dog food said:
lego man thats a interesting suggestion although at times i question whether monty crosses the line from starch to pure madness. players with starch are often lower profile players, sometimes monty goes out of his way to bring ill discipline to the game and thats not true starch, you may say the same could be said for simon woolford and darren senter, but if you look closer you will find these players are quite discipline and have good leadership qualities, betham was sacked as a captain.

I knew you'd say that...

But i do agree with you sort of. Monty does have good levels of starch, its just that often the starch is overshadowed by rampant and unnecessary aggression.

Tony Carroll would be another player. i reckon if someone asked Tony what qualities be bought to the table he would simply say starch and thats a great thing to be able to say.

Steve Folkes is an outstanding suggestion. id agree that chirs walker is one of the most starchless players in the nrl, there are also starchless posters in here, there not hard to identify, but lets not talk about these people, lets keep the discussion on players with high levels of starch

Lego_Man

First Grade
Sharky Mullens said:
What is Starch?

starch (stärch)
n.
  1. A naturally abundant nutrient carbohydrate, (C[size=-1]6[/size]H[size=-1]10[/size]O[size=-1]5[/size])[size=-1]n[/size], found chiefly in the seeds, fruits, tubers, roots, and stem pith of plants, notably in corn, potatoes, wheat, and rice, and varying widely in appearance according to source but commonly prepared as a white amorphous tasteless powder.
  2. Any of various substances, such as natural starch, used to stiffen cloth, as in laundering.
  3. starches Foods having a high content of starch, as rice, breads, and potatoes.
    1. Stiff behavior.
    2. Vigor; mettle: “Business travel can take the starch out of the most self-assured corporate titan” (Lisa Faye Kaplan).
tr.v. starched, starch·ing, starch·es
To stiffen with starch.

[Middle English starche, substance used to stiffen cloth (sense uncertain), from sterchen, to stiffen, from Old English *stercan. See ster-[size=-1]1[/size] in Indo-European Roots.]

Latest posts