What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

STARTING 13

weretiger

Juniors
After watching today's ANZAC day match between the rorters and dragons which was a pretty good game ,I started going though the roosters side and thinking would we have one player from our starting 13 that would get a start in their side the answer i think is no, i then looked at the dragons i was thinking one of our second rowers could get a run on the bench but it was the starting 13 I was concerned with , I can understand the rorters because they seem to be working to a different set of rules to most teams but our squad is very poor when you start to compared players in each position .just putting this out there which of our team would get a run in one of the better side in the comp.

Tiger05

First Grade
Mbye, Brooks, Thompson, Twal, Marsters, Matterson and Lawrence (if he comes back) are all quality players that could fit into a lot of teams.

Reynolds when on form but he is inconsistent. Packer, Matulino, Nofo are all decent players.

Aloiai, Chee-Kam, Mikaele are great bench options.

I reckon we aren't that far off. We just need some quality players in specific positions and some good coaching.

We really need a 6 and a 9. We need quality in these positions. I'm not sure that Reynolds, Benji and Robbie are the answer in these positions.

We also need a left centre and potentially a winger or two that are quality players. Jennings doesn't seem to be up to it. Fonua is too slow although he has the up-side of being one of the best first hit-up players in the comp.

I think another issue we have is that two of our potentially best players in Brooks and Marsters are mistake prone and inconsistent. When they fire they are as good or better than any player in the comp in their spots but they have off games all the time.

Heaps of work to do but it could be worse.

Shredder

Juniors
Pretty much agree with you 05.

For once, I think we are actually close.

Our pack does OK when they are on. Perhaps a strong hard headed forwards leader in 8 or 10 would make a real difference there in terms of consistency.

We have the Daly M half of the year. And like him or not Reynolds is on the books for a while yet and at least plays with passion.

Its our outside backs which are god awful. What the f**k do we do with MBye? He played great last year. I would still like to see Gamble get a decent run in the centres to. Other than that, we still havent recovered from losing three centres within two weeks a few years ago and we need some pace on the wings.

Vic Mackey

Referee
We have a team of solid players but are missing a strike back or genuine game breaker. IMO 1 out and out star would make us a pretty certain top 8 side.

Tiger Ted

Bench
We r a fair distance away from being a finals aspirant.

We r carrying a no. of players on very good money who r substandard & whose contracts don’t end soon enough.The kiwi props the avg duo from the dogs & the dally m half(geez this makes me chuckle what a subjectively determined joke the dally m’s are).The test is how many opposition halves would u swap for this lemon? Fact is the majority.If u want to b successful u MUST have a decent organiser & Fact is there’s teenagers playing Harold mats & sg ball who’d do a better job at game management.An administration with a shred of rugby league IQ would not have re-signed Brooks to b the long term organiser.Maybe as a 5/8 playing outside a quality organiser.To b the game manager we desperately require he is deadset uncoachable.

Additionally we have the worst backline(the less said the better)in the NRL we don’t have a recognised goalkicker & forwards who u can put ur life on will go missing when the going gets tough.

Good luck rebuilding Madge.I know u can do it but geez ur hamstrung in short term by a no. of factors including a limited salary cap position.

Finally I hope pissant Cleary causes an irreparable implosion at Penrith 4 recklessly pissing our salary cap money on garbage !

Supporter 69

Juniors
Mbye, Brooks, Thompson, Twal, Marsters, Matterson and Lawrence (if he comes back) are all quality players that could fit into a lot of teams.

Reynolds when on form but he is inconsistent. Packer, Matulino, Nofo are all decent players.

Aloiai, Chee-Kam, Mikaele are great bench options.

I reckon we aren't that far off. We just need some quality players in specific positions and some good coaching.

We really need a 6 and a 9. We need quality in these positions. I'm not sure that Reynolds, Benji and Robbie are the answer in these positions.

We also need a left centre and potentially a winger or two that are quality players. Jennings doesn't seem to be up to it. Fonua is too slow although he has the up-side of being one of the best first hit-up players in the comp.

I think another issue we have is that two of our potentially best players in Brooks and Marsters are mistake prone and inconsistent. When they fire they are as good or better than any player in the comp in their spots but they have off games all the time.

Heaps of work to do but it could be worse.
I reckon Robson could be a Smokey for the 9, if given the opportunity he has been going pretty good in reserves

gordsy

Juniors
I think we need to forget Liddle. He's still not an 80 min player and every time he sneezes he breaks a rib.

super_coach

First Grade
After watching today's ANZAC day match between the rorters and dragons which was a pretty good game ,I started going though the roosters side and thinking would we have one player from our starting 13 that would get a start in their side the answer i think is no, i then looked at the dragons i was thinking one of our second rowers could get a run on the bench but it was the starting 13 I was concerned with , I can understand the rorters because they seem to be working to a different set of rules to most teams but our squad is very poor when you start to compared players in each position .just putting this out there which of our team would get a run in one of the better side in the comp.

Nothing new..been like that for a long time now. It’s very hard to attract top quality players to a struggling franchise. In the past we seem to have targeted players who are half way down the other side of the hill, hopping they might recapture the glory days. This year we were smarted and targeted bench and fringe players from successful clubs. To me that is the smart way to go. I doubt we will get any where near the eight this year but we are heading in the right direction

macnaz

Staff member
Oddly enough I think if the Storm got a hold off Brook's he would turn into a brilliant player . He has all the attributes of a great player just needs polishing.. kinda of like JAD who half the fans thought playing Jordan Rank was a better option because he had less errors. But anyway our marquee player is on 700k whilst the rorters have 3 at a $Mill each so with that sort of money to throw around there is no need to gamble on potential as most clubs have to, just buy the BEST without waiting to see if they are any good.
Edit.. Twal and Materson would be the only others a club would take of our hands

Last edited: