What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Team Please!!

thickos

First Grade
Harsh to say Thommo is a second rower, his past two seasons at prop have been truly outstanding.

Also Timbo, if Purtell is the back who sparkles the most in the trials, is it really "Elliott all over again" if Henry picks him? It would seem to be a logical choice based on form if you ask me. Compared to all our rookies, Purtell has experienced and had a very good end to the season, showing a lot of improvement.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
thickos said:
Harsh to say Thommo is a second rower, his past two seasons at prop have been truly outstanding.

Also Timbo, if Purtell is the back who sparkles the most in the trials, is it really "Elliott all over again" if Henry picks him? It would seem to be a logical choice based on form if you ask me. Compared to all our rookies, Purtell has experienced and had a very good end to the season, showing a lot of improvement.
Word!! I think the turtle might become a hare this season, although I won't hold my breath. I just feel that a rookie season doesn't always become the benchmark for the years to come.

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
And thickos, I think we will all be patient with the new banner, but Schif certainly doesn't happen to captain anymore.

Chachi

Bench
Apart from fullback, the three-quarters are clearly our big question mark. IMO Graham is the only certain starter, with Colin Best probably not far behind (even with his well known defensive frailties).

I agree that Purtell is quite safe with his hands and has a solid defence, but he really needs to work on a step or being more agressive at the line to become a real asset in attack. Unfortunately with that comes a much higher risk in the handling department. Wingers are paid to finish and he didn't do enough of that last season I'm afraid.

I still think Frawley could be the key to making an average three-quarter line into quite a very solid one. If Henry can help him get his attitude right then I still hold high hopes for Frawls. Fingers crossed he has an injury free season to give him every chance to play to his ability...and if Adam Mogg is good enough to play for Queensland, then Craig Frawley is good enough to represent Australia, full stop.

Personally I think Howell could also have an outstanding season outside the likes of Dobson and Carney. From all accounts Kelly could also be a bargain pickup and considering he been picked from reserve grade at Cronulla there is a good chance he could play Origin football in the next year or so!

This pack of forwards is dead set the best I have seen at the club in the last 15 years and if they can lay the platform our young backs will have no better chance to impress. Henry has been quite public in his plan to bring back the Green Machine of old and with that comes a lot more opportunities for these fellas. Can't wait.

thickos

First Grade
TiTTieS_[CNTDN] said:
And thickos, I think we will all be patient with the new banner, but Schif certainly doesn't happen to captain anymore.

Have an idea for a new banner, but this ol' chestnut will do for a while :cool:

woodgers

Bench
Chachi said:
Apart from fullback, the three-quarters are clearly our big question mark. IMO Graham is the only certain starter, with Colin Best probably not far behind (even with his well known defensive frailties).

I agree that Purtell is quite safe with his hands and has a solid defence, but he really needs to work on a step or being more agressive at the line to become a real asset in attack. Unfortunately with that comes a much higher risk in the handling department. Wingers are paid to finish and he didn't do enough of that last season I'm afraid.

I still think Frawley could be the key to making an average three-quarter line into quite a very solid one. If Henry can help him get his attitude right then I still hold high hopes for Frawls. Fingers crossed he has an injury free season to give him every chance to play to his ability...and if Adam Mogg is good enough to play for Queensland, then Craig Frawley is good enough to represent Australia, full stop.

Personally I think Howell could also have an outstanding season outside the likes of Dobson and Carney. From all accounts Kelly could also be a bargain pickup and considering he been picked from reserve grade at Cronulla there is a good chance he could play Origin football in the next year or so!

This pack of forwards is dead set the best I have seen at the club in the last 15 years and if they can lay the platform our young backs will have no better chance to impress. Henry has been quite public in his plan to bring back the Green Machine of old and with that comes a lot more opportunities for these fellas. Can't wait.

Superb post :clap: :clap:

dubby

Bench
1.Chalk
2.Best
3.Graham
4.Frawley
5.Howell
6.Carney
7.Dunemann
8.Logan
9.Withers
10.Tilse
11.Bickerstaff
12.Costigan
13.Tongue

14.Weyman
15.Thurling
16.Williams
17.Zillman

It goes without saying that TLL and Thommo will walk back into the pack when fit. IMHO its guys like Rothery/Jones/Williams/Campese who will have to step up.

As much as I wanted to, I couldnt find a spot for Dobbo. Its either him or Zilly in the team, and I cant see both there in the early stages of the season. I believe we will see Dunny there in lieu of Dobbo or Zilly, but then again I am used to Elliots selections :p

I would like to see Dobbo at 7, and Dunny on the bench with Zillman used somehow...:crazy:

edabomb

First Grade
The problem with Frawley is he hasn't shown any promise in the past two years. Not even more than one hint of being a semi decent first grader in 20+ games.

I can't wait for his contract to expire.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
edabomb said:
The problem with Frawley is he hasn't shown any promise in the past two years. Not even more than one hint of being a semi decent first grader in 20+ games.

I can't wait for his contract to expire.

Yeah well that's just it, his contract will be up so he'll have a blinder this season.

woodgers

Bench
Hold your horses there Ed, he did pull off one of the best length of the field cover tries ever seen at Bruce.......:) Cant recall who it was against though.

Besides that he might keep his locker tidy...thats about it!

The potential is there though. I just remembered another good moment, a superb try scored against the Knights in the 1st home game of 04 where he got in space and chipped over the fullback to regather and score. He could be a very good player, he has raw talent but doesn't seem to use it. As above, he could be a big key if he gives it a red hot go. If he doesn't then it will be the same old story of a player being bought because he played for a big club where he got talked up. Imagine what the League community would think of Phil Graham if he played for St George or the Broncos?

Chachi

Bench
woodgers said:
Hold your horses there Ed, he did pull off one of the best length of the field cover tries ever seen at Bruce.......:) Cant recall who it was against though.

The potential is there though. I just remembered another good moment, a superb try scored against the Knights in the 1st home game of 04 where he got in space and chipped over the fullback to regather and score. He could be a very good player, he has raw talent but doesn't seem to use it. As above, he could be a big key if he gives it a red hot go. If he doesn't then it will be the same old story of a player being bought because he played for a big club where he got talked up. Imagine what the League community would think of Phil Graham if he played for St George or the Broncos?
Wasn't it on Todd Byrne vs Warriors?? Gave him a good 15+ metre head start too...poor b@stard!! :lol:

Bingo. Those are the exact two instances which lead me to believe he has the potential if he gets his head (and body) right.

dubby

Bench
Frawley has a reputation at the club for being lazy and unmotivated.

IMHO, it comes down to being purchased as a centre and being used as a winger/utility forward.

It is upto Craig to make the most of his opportunities though and work toward being a centre. 06 was a tough year to be a Raiders centre with Mogg and Graham in fine form for the most part.

*ignores Howells selections in the centres*

julian87

Juniors
I think frawley could be very good in the centres, his size and speed suits that spot. Also at the back end of last season, my heart went in my mouth every time he had to take a high ball on the wing. Him and graham should start in the cntres for mine.

edabomb

First Grade
woodgers said:

'04? You must be thinking of Monaghan ;-):lol:

Frawley has had heaps of chances to cement a spot but has never delivered. As Walt says though, tis contract year.

Chachi

Bench
Yeah, I suppose its a bit of a win-win for us. If he plays well, then great, if not then there's $200K extra in our kitty for next season.

1. B.Goodwin
2. C.Best
3. M.Chalk
4. C.Frawley
5. P.Graham
6. T.Carney
7. W.Zillman
8. D.Tilse
9. L.Withers
10. T.Thompson
11. T.Leahroys-Lahrs
12. N.Costigan