What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2021

JJ

Immortal
Maybe I am just getting old, but I don't enjoy Origin as much as I did - sad about Mortimer, but those were the days - Lewis, Miles, Mortimer, Kenny, Sterling, Dowling, Tunks, Cleal, Niebling, Close etc etc

Go the Blues

Blair

Coach
Maybe I am just getting old, but I don't enjoy Origin as much as I did - sad about Mortimer, but those were the days - Lewis, Miles, Mortimer, Kenny, Sterling, Dowling, Tunks, Cleal, Niebling, Close etc etc

Go the Blues

I'll always appreciate how it raised the profile of league in NZ.

'88, '89, we only had two TV channels, and one of them broadcast Origin live. This continued into the early-'90s, when we had three TV channels!

The thing is people were talking league, they were loving it.

Big Marn

Juniors
It was fascinating seeing how long Queensland could keep their streak going (8 series in a row was it?) but after all the retirements happened, Origin has kind of petered out for me.

Blair

Coach
It was fascinating seeing how long Queensland could keep their streak going (8 series in a row was it?) but after all the retirements happened, Origin has kind of petered out for me.
Same, I live in the past, mostly. I'm thinking this could be Origin's first 50-pointer? The Blues look that good.

I'm particularly keen on seeing how Brian To'o goes, he's a good story about a local junior.

stryker

First Grade
Same, I live in the past, mostly. I'm thinking this could be Origin's first 50-pointer? The Blues look that good.
There has already been 50 pointers.
In 2000 NSW put 50 on the Maroons in a dead rubber. From memory Ryan Girdler scored most of them.
In 2015 NSW came up to Brissie spruiking they would seal the series win on enemy territory. They were smashed and QLD hit 50.

Meth

Staff member
I'm past caring about Origin. Last year was probably the nail in the coffin.

Will probably watch it, but not live.

Matua

Bench

I've watched 20 minutes of one game in the last 6 years ... I've also lived in Australia that entire time. I just realised one day a few years back that I don't care. Then when I thought about it more all Origin does is ruin the international game and I actually care about the Kiwis so I've actively disliked it since then.

If eligible Kiwis were able to play I probably would back down from my stance and watch it.

Meth

Staff member
I'm probably getting old. If I stay up until midnight, I am a write off the next day

SmashEmBro

Juniors

What do you mean? Queensland with a victory when dubbed “the worse team ever”. How was that a nail in the coffin? Unless you’re a bitter NSW supporter, to me it showed that those fuc*kin Queenslanders never say die, which is one of the things I love about origin…

Meth

Staff member
What do you mean? Queensland with a victory when dubbed “the worse team ever”. How was that a nail in the coffin? Unless you’re a bitter NSW supporter, to me it showed that those fuc*kin Queenslanders never say die, which is one of the things I love about origin…

More the time of the year/the unavailability of players. I was well ready to move on from the Rugby League season by then

Blair

Coach
It's lucky the game isn't at the MCG with this polar blast sweeping through!

As always I'm keen on some Gus poetry before kick-off, he'll stand under the goalposts to deliver it.

'Origin. It's about four simple words. In what order they're used depends on the character of each man, each team. It's about will, it's about skill, it's about strength, it's about fear.

'Will strength conquer fear? Will skill combine with will?...' In Origin, when does each man, each team, know? As a former Origin player and coach I can tell you when.

'It happens ten minutes before kick-off, when you're seated in the change room, with what seems like the entire world outside, waiting for you to run out. Your coach is saying his last words, and by looking deep into your teammates eyes you know, you know what lies ahead, glory or heartache, it's that simple...'

I can't wait.

Doesn't look like rules are being applied tonight. Few accidental high shots let go, 10m not policed, Teddy can knock on, late shot allowed on Mitchell. Only rule being applied is getting in way of chaser, which I have seen way worse let go.

Last edited:

Latest posts