What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin - Cleary hits Uncharted Territory

mxlegend99

Referee
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/22...-cleary-hits-uncharted-territory-in-origin-i/

Blues halfback Nathan Cleary's work rate in Origin I showed a massive lift on what the young playmaker is regularly required to put himself through at club level, according to Telstra Tracker data.

Measuring Cleary's match intensity in terms of metres covered per minute, the GPS and tracking technology showed Cleary covered 7.8 kilometres in the 80 minutes – more than any other player.

Incredibly, his match-time intensity – his metres per minute while he was on the field – was also the highest in the match, registering 96.0 metres per minute ahead of interchange players like Angus Crichton (second at 94.1 metres per minute) and Paul Vaughan (fifth at 93.3 metres per minute).

Tom Trbojevic (third at 93.7) and James Maloney (fourth at 93.7) ensured all the top five players for match intensity were from the victorious NSW team.

Cleary's match-time intensity was greater than the 2017 averages of Blues halves Mitch Pearce and James Maloney (94.5) and the Maroons halves – Cooper Cronk, Johnathan Thurston, Anthony Milford and Cameron Munster (87.5 combined across three games).

The average match intensity of all NRL halves this year is 76.6, well below Cleary's Origin I mark of 96.0.

Statistically, Cleary was impressive for a debutant 20-year-old halfback too, getting through 25 tackles at over 80% effectiveness despite being heavily targeted, clearing 377 metres from 11 kicks and running 48 metres with the ball.

Cleary told NRL.com that while he could feel the fatigue afterwards, he didn't specifically notice the increase in his workload during the game.

"The fact that Origin is so much faster, you do have to do a lot more running and covering," Cleary said.

"I didn't really feel it too much. I obviously felt buggered but that was just how the game was going, it's never so much the running but all the tackling. [The data] pretty interesting.

"You definitely feel rooted after the game, everyone kind of feels like that. I think it's the physical aspect as well, it's so fast but so physical at the same time, it's pretty hard to combat."

stat-attack_cleary_20180620.jpg

Pretty crazy. Hopefully after Origin 2 he's able to do that for us on our run to a grand final.

TheFrog

Coach
Hopefully Hook has learned from this. At the minimum id like May to play in the Warriors game and give Cleary/Maloney only 40mins
You meant the Manly game, right? The Warriors game they'll both be out, and Peachey too, unless they get dropped from the NSW side.

mxlegend99

Referee
Queensland finally know what it's like to have a Mitchell Pearce in the halves. Ben Hunt is copping it hard snd he was honestly not as bad as the average Mitchell Pearce Origin match.

Kalyn Ponga though. Wow. This kid is a freak. Everything looks so f**king easy for him. No one has a right to be that good at such a young age.

Wouldnt look out of place in the Australian side. If not starting put him on the bench for sure. This kid is special.

Cleary busts his ass for a team with work that is barely noticeable. (Though his win rate shows how vsluable his work is). While Ponga looks like he's in second gear with every touch looking highlight reel worthy.

MrBlack

Juniors
You meant the Manly game, right? The Warriors game they'll both be out, and Peachey too, unless they get dropped from the NSW side.

In previous years players have been allowed to play for their clubs if the 3rd game is a dead rubber (sp)