What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Staying down for the penalty.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
What's with all the souths fans on this board acting like dick heads? Is it a prerequisite?

I can't speak on behalf of other Souths fans but I just take umbrage over being labelled a supporter of a club whose players cheat. Clearly this accusation is in response to the fact that your team lost the game and it has no basis. In the same breath that our lad supposedly dove you turn a blind eye to 2 instances where your players did the same thing. Blame the system, don't blame the player. I don't blame Ennis for doing the same thing. He got hit in the head - which I reiterate is against the rules in rugby league - and knew he would get a deserved penalty if he stayed down. Our bloke staying down had no bearing on the result - we were the better team last night. The next time we play maybe we won't be.

rnb11

Juniors
Reyonlds milked a penalty yes, 2 minutes later Tolman milks one off Asotasi. Get over it Bulldogs you whinging pricks, you're no better.

Grapple

Bench
It's like a broken record in here. lol.

Yes, Souths won.... well done and congrats to you from a Bulldogs supporter. But try and think of the bigger picture here for a second - taking a dive is a stupid damaging act ruining the game regardless of who's doing it.

BunniesMan

Immortal

Yes, Souths won.... well done and congrats to you from a Bulldogs supporter. But try and think of the bigger picture here for a second - taking a dive is a stupid damaging act ruining the game regardless of who's doing it.
FFS. I've never seen a rugby league player take a dive in my life.

/thread.

P.S. Incase dumb people don't get it, the penalty Asotasi gave, the penalty Ennis gave, neither incident was because of a dive. A dive tries to get a ref to give a penalty that shouldn't be given. Staying down tries to get a penalty that SHOULD be given but was missed.

I've watched thousands of hours of Footy in my life, I have never seen a single case of soccer style diving.

The_Savage_1

Juniors
to try and stop diving they introduced the rule that if the refs missed a head high and the player stayed down that it could only be a penalty if the tackle was worthy of being put on report. however, as perth reds said, the problem is that the refs are now placing every tackle worthy of a penalty on report just to justify giving the penalty.

i do like the idea of players who stay down being forced to go off for a period, however i don't believe you should put the onus on the players to change the spirit/application of this rule as there's always ways around it. for example, it's the last minute, you're down by one 20 out and you cop a high shot. the divers are still going to stay down to get the penalty in this scenario. they'll happily miss the last two minutes to win the game!

the refs are the ones that have changed the interpretation of this rule and the onus should be on them to fix it. my suggestion is that in this scenario, if a player is put on report then he will be sin binned for five minutes (i personally would make it a power play so that they would come back on after five minutes or when the other team scores, whichever is first). the refs will then have to be more careful in deciding which tackles they put on report, and therefore penalise, because the ramifications of doing so are far greater.

it would be nice if they could stop putting pussy shit on report, it would be a lot simpler, but that doesn't look like happening does it?

Grapple

Bench
FFS. I've never seen a rugby league player take a dive in my life.

/thread.

P.S. Incase dumb people don't get it, the penalty Asotasi gave, the penalty Ennis gave, neither incident was because of a dive. A dive tries to get a ref to give a penalty that shouldn't be given. Staying down tries to get a penalty that SHOULD be given but was missed.

I've watched thousands of hours of Footy in my life, I have never seen a single case of soccer style diving.

Are you telling me you've never seen Scott Prince play? I've seen him go down without even being touched on a kick, and get the penalty. That's the very definition of a dive. (I think against The Storm?!)

Either way, it's clear that you don't watch league mate or you're blind.

/thread.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench

F@ck off idiot. Your bitching has nothing to do with the greater good of the game. If it did you would have happily noted the instances where your lads did the same thing. Move on.

Grapple

Bench
F@ck off idiot. Your bitching has nothing to do with the greater good of the game. If it did you would have happily noted the instances where your lads did the same thing. Move on.

244901-issac-luke.jpg

:lol:

eozsmiles

Bench
We don't see blatant dives every game but they stand out like dogs nuts when we do see them. What we also see nearly every game is a player claiming a try that they know they haven't grounded. Still cheating, still sh!t.

haha

Juniors
Asotasi was put on report after Graham stayed down, does that make Graham a soft merkin?