What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steelers Racial Slur to Dragons Player

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
https://archive.md/2a2yZ

NSWRL investigating alleged racial slur in Harold Matthews Cup U17s local derby​

The NSWRL will look into an allegation of a racial slur during a Harold Matthews Cup game between the St George Dragons and Illawarra Steelers on Saturday.
A Dragons player has accused a Steelers player of calling him a “coconut” during the under-17s junior representative match at Netstrata Jubilee Oval in Kogarah.
The NSWRL is yet to receive the report from the ground manager but will do so on Monday morning and it will then be determined what course of action will be taken.
The latest incident comes after Sydney Roosters prop Spencer Leniu was banned for eight matches after calling Brisbane’s Ezra Mam a “monkey” during the season opener in Las Vegas.
Like in the NRL, racial vilification is a matter that will be referred straight to the NSWRL judiciary. A decision by the state’s match review committee will come on Monday over the issue.
Matches in NSWRL competitions are recorded for judicial reasons, but audio will likely hinge on how close the referee, who is mic’d up, was to the alleged incident.

The NSWRL were contacted about the allegation but are unable to make an official comment on the matter at this stage.
Given the players involved are under the age of 18, their names will not be made public.
The St George Illawarra Dragons and St George District Junior Rugby League have been contacted.
Last week, star Manly backrower Haumole Olakau’atu revealed he has been called “coconut” numerous times throughout his career in the wake of the Leniu controversy.
“I have been called everything on the field. It is just words to me. I have been called coconut many times in the NRL.
“That is part of the game – the heat of the moment. At the end of the day they don’t really mean it. It is just words to me.
“I was even called coconut growing up in school. I got used to it. To me they are just words now.”

TheRev

Coach
Glad its in the U17's and not SG.. the game was televised so there might be a microphone out there..

I did feel there was quite a bit of rivalry between the 2 clubs yesterday.. lots of niggle..... despite the fact they are going to be team-mates in years to come.

itsme

Juniors
The boy who was called a coconut was not a pacific islander, but actually middle eastern.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The boy who was called a coconut was not a pacific islander, but actually middle eastern.
So i would assume Ahmad Assaad is the Saints player who was "racially" abused, unless there is another player with middle eastern heritage.

Latest posts