What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steven Waugh - Best ever

Biglance

Bench
Dont give in now Steve. This bloke has about 2 years of cricket at the Top level i reckon. im all for the young guns coming through but i reckon u need this bloke. Again a saviour for the blues today. 8) The ice man in every situation.

Anonymous

Juniors
I reckon Simon Katich has got him covered.

By far the hero for NSW this week. 182* and 71* from 45 balls in the 2nd innings.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Steve Waugh,

the greatest cricketer to play for New south Wales and Australia.

You LEGEND !!!!

The Colonel

Immortal
PARRA_FAN said:
Steve Waugh,

the greatest cricketer to play for New south Wales and Australia.

You LEGEND !!!!

Does anyone remember DG Bradman??? :roll:

Steve is very very good but best ever............. ;-)

El Diablo

Post Whore
Colonel Eel said:
El Duque said:
Shane Keith Warne is the greatest cricketer of all time. There is no doubt about that.

How do you come to that conclusion El Duque????

Quite easily :lol:

There's never been another leggy like him. Wisden ranked him fifth, I rank him numero uno.

The Colonel

Immortal
True..... he is a great leggie but to rank him ahead of Sobers is a tough call. Over 8000 runs and 235 wickets is pretty hard to beat - without mentioning his first class statistics either. He did play against some of the strongest teams in the world too.

I'd rank Shane as arguably the best bowler of all time but not the best cricketer.

The Colonel

Immortal
El Duque said:
I'm a bit bias towards Warney ;-)

I'm going to throw a better bowler at you - Clarrie Grimmett. They laud Warne however Grimmett was twice the bowler and got lost amongst the accolades Bradman received.

Doctor

Bench
Wow, I'm liking the subject of this topic.

I see this topic as an ideal chance to inculate my theory that Steve Waugh is one of the great cricketers in sporting history - even if for his sheer longevity and stoicism at the top. He came through tough times, was dropped, faced the meanace of West Indian bowlers, survived and put together a remarkable career against top opposition.

The most successful captain in Test Match history (by a long way I might add) , a World-Cup winning captain and soon-to-be world record holder for the most test career runs. He need only average 38 in the coming few tests to eclipse Border's record in less innings than Border - I only hope Border, Hilditch and Boon remember what it is like to be dropped and don't give any satisfaction to Mr Hohns - the bearer of all evil selections.

Vendettas cannot be involved here I'm afraid. Waugh is scoring at Bradman-eclipsing levels, and his state form is simply stunning. Centuries in both forms of the game, two 50s against Zimbabwe, and still batting strongly - there is no cause for Hohns to get his way in sacking him.

Steve Waugh should be given another 12 months, especially given his long-service to the game, captaincy record, and the fact he is averaging higher than half the batting line-up at the moment.

If Hohns wishes to ignore Waugh's status as the number one captain in Test history, record holder and proximity to one final world record, then good on him.

But Hohns cannot argue with Waugh's 2003 average of 104.14, four centuries, two 50s, and all scored at a fast pace.

The Colonel

Immortal
He and Katich both peeled off centuries at Bellerive yesterday. Interesting to see that Steve scored 14 fours and 5 sixes in that innings.

However I don't agree with the twelve months you have given him Original Chook. I say let him decide when he feels its time. He will probably retire after India next year or maybe one last home series??? At home in Sydney two seasons after he was supposed to be flicked would really give Trevor Hohns the tom tits.

For a man whom, in the opinion of another of Australia's greatest ever cricketers - Bill Brown, stands second only to Bradman for his contribution to the game then such an honour should be afforded!

Doctor

Bench
Colonel Eel said:
However I don't agree with the twelve months you have given him Original Chook. I say let him decide when he feels its time. He will probably retire after India next year or maybe one last home series???

You misunderstand me. I'm not for one minute suggesting he should be given a 12 month time-limit. All I am saying is that I think within 12 months he will have had enough.

I am fairly sure he wants one final crack at India, in India. Body language in Perth suggests that he believed it was his last match there. Now whether he is thinking he will be dropped before next season or whether he plans to retire prior to then I don't know.

What is clear is that he deserves his spot in the side however long he wants it. Unlike other senior players (Boon, Border, Healy etc) in recent years, Waugh is on top of his game and is in every position to stake a claim for his right to decide his future.

A form slump during this summer may change that, but I neither wish it upon him, nor do I think he will go through a slump this season - he looks in stunning form, fit and seeing the ball like a fluro beach-ball at the moment - there is no way he is in any danger while he is batting like this.

If anything, the likes of Langer and Martyn would go first - and even they're not out of form and are in no real danger of being dropped.

Craig

Juniors
sullyfan said:
Steve Waugh is the best batsman since Bradman.

L Hutton, RG Pollock, Clive Walcott, Everton Weeks, GS Sobers, IVA Richards, BC Lara, SR Tendulkar, Zaheer Abbas, Javied Minidad, R Kanhai, GA Headly, G Boycott, RN Harvey, etc. would disgree to that.

It is hard to compare really. I mean Bradman had 8 ball overs, timeless Tests, rubbish bowlers (ok that has always been through cricket and not all were rubbish), and some poor fielders who lacked professionalism. On the other hand he did have uncovered wickets, no helmets etc.

Doctor

Bench
Craig said:
sullyfan said:
Steve Waugh is the best batsman since Bradman.

L Hutton, RG Pollock, Clive Walcott, Everton Weeks, GS Sobers, IVA Richards, BC Lara, SR Tendulkar, Zaheer Abbas, Javied Minidad, R Kanhai, GA Headly, G Boycott, RN Harvey, etc. would disgree to that.

It is hard to compare really. I mean Bradman had 8 ball overs, timeless Tests, rubbish bowlers (ok that has always been through cricket and not all were rubbish), and some poor fielders who lacked professionalism. On the other hand he did have uncovered wickets, no helmets etc.

Well those sort of figures can be debated - as you have already mentioned. I would argue that a guy like Tendulkar has inflated figures because Indian grounds are small - he doesn't bat as well on batsman-friendly wickets in Australia where grounds are larger (av 46 compared to 56 overall, and 61 at home). But in saying that the man is a pleasure to watch bat - I have a tremendous amount of respect for his abilities and his strokeplay and finesse is unbelieable at times.

West Indians play on smaller grounds too, English batsmen play on juicy grounds a bit, Australians play on large but batsman-friendly wickets, South Africans play on grassy wickets sometimes - these things are hard to gauge, especially when you add into the equation differences in the era - Bradman faced military mediums a fair bit, and ordinary fielding, yet he is that far ahead of everyone else there is no questioning his status as 'the best'.

I don't rate Steve Waugh as the best to ever play the game. But he survived some tough bowling, looked unorthodox when batting, but kept going. He is a great of the game for his longevity and his incredible batting record especially for a long-serving player - that doesn't even mention his captaincy.

Tendulkat is the best batsman since Bradman. Lara has the best technique I've ever seen, but he's a bit too inconsistent.