What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stewart, Watmough and Matai

Michael Bishop

Juniors
Manly is holding back players from becoming true superstars of the code. ???

You look at the Manly roster and realise the waste of great players all trying to make a name for themselves, yet all bundled up in a Manly team where they dont look like superstars individually.
So by playing at Manl;y and apparently being paid peanuts to do so, they have wasted a career at top level and being paid superstar wages.
Cherry Evans, Queensland and Australian halfback in waiting, Forun, Kiwi half and hardly gets noticed. Watmough, Stewarts and Ballin, all just Manly players. Lyons and Matai, now unwanted except at Manly where they grow older without much fanfare, only by Manly fans, they will never go down as all time greats of anything. Forgotten when the next lot of kids take their spotlight, all because they got caught up in the Manly bubble. There stature has been diminished because they all wish to stay at a club where their true value and status is being undervalued because of the talent this club refuses to let go to get true value for the players.
Nobody wants old Manly rejects now on their last legs, and the only player wanted by clubs is Cherry-Evans. If he stays at Manly he will forever flog a dead horse because other clubs are bigger, stronger, and growing at twice the pace of Manly and their bubble.

Manly as a club seem to be selfish with players, and promise them the world with back-handed deals, ? what, for pensioners.
This club needs to fall in line with other clubs and stop doing backhanded underhanded deals.

Instead of editing perhaps you should have just deleted. Probably the dumbest post I've read on here in ages.

Keffola

Juniors

You look at the Manly roster and realise the waste of great players all trying to make a name for themselves, yet all bundled up in a Manly team where they dont look like superstars individually.
So by playing at Manl;y and apparently being paid peanuts to do so, they have wasted a career at top level and being paid superstar wages.
Cherry Evans, Queensland and Australian halfback in waiting, Forun, Kiwi half and hardly gets noticed. Watmough, Stewarts and Ballin, all just Manly players. Lyons and Matai, now unwanted except at Manly where they grow older without much fanfare, only by Manly fans, they will never go down as all time greats of anything. Forgotten when the next lot of kids take their spotlight, all because they got caught up in the Manly bubble. There stature has been diminished because they all wish to stay at a club where their true value and status is being undervalued because of the talent this club refuses to let go to get true value for the players.
Nobody wants old Manly rejects now on their last legs, and the only player wanted by clubs is Cherry-Evans. If he stays at Manly he will forever flog a dead horse because other clubs are bigger, stronger, and growing at twice the pace of Manly and their bubble.

Manly as a club seem to be selfish with players, and promise them the world with back-handed deals, ? what, for pensioners.
This club needs to fall in line with other clubs and stop doing backhanded underhanded deals.

Hilarious for so many reasons.

"All just Manly players" ???? You mean all premiership winners (some multiple) because they played for Manly. Something that most players don't achieve in their entire career.

Patorick

Staff member
They'll have cash to spend on another halfback, or they'll just find one. They won a comp with Orford ffs, developed Tooves, found Hasler, and now they found DCE. Manly are a winning club, they get shit done. Sad but true.
1997-2004 notwithstanding.

:sarcasm:

Danny-Boy

Juniors

stupid-people.jpg

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Just for the record, how many current rep players are playing at Manly compared to most other clubs? We have 3. Watmough and DCE, both came off the bench for most of SOO. Foran for NZ. Although injured for the last test match, would have been selected as captain. There are a number of former rep players, but only 3 current state or better reps.

The club has to make tough decisions. I don't particularly like seeing club champions leave, but it happens. It isn't the first time either. Former premiership winning captains Vautin and an immortal Fulton were allowed to leave. When your time is up, it is up. I hope Stewart has a good remainder to his career at Souths, meanwhile I hope we send him out in a manner fitting a club legend this year.

Who've you got to replace them if they go?? Gutherson looks a likely type, perhaps symonds for watmong, moving hiku to the centres to replace matai, don't envy manly if any of this release talk is true.

eozsmiles

Bench
1997-2004 notwithstanding.

:sarcasm:

haha only 7 years for your mob, not 43 and counting, or 20 odd like Parra. That period of time (95- onwards) buried my team and almost buried Manly. They survived, then thrived. We died.

Something these current players and plenty of fans don't recognise or comment on is that Manly found all these guys while in the sh!t heap, and while most of those players were in the sh!t heap too. Stories are long told about how Glenn only got signed because he was Brett's brother. Then they got a benefactor/s (Delmege/Penn's) on board, signed a couple of leaders (Orford, Kite, Lyon, plus coaches Hasler and Toovey), and within a few years they were rolling. If the crap hits the fan over there, they will probably just take 5 years to find some young gun rejects from other clubs and it all starts rolling again...history says that.

My club never managed that, gotta respect those that can.

*sarcasm eyeroll noted lol

Cletus

First Grade
Who've you got to replace them if they go?? Gutherson looks a likely type, perhaps symonds for watmong, moving hiku to the centres to replace matai, don't envy manly if any of this release talk is true.

Sounds about right. There's also Hassan who looks pretty good, I think he was a Canberra poach:D. Anyway I'd love to keep Watmough and Matai but the Warriors look to have made Matai an offer he can't refuse so I really think we should release him rather than sign him to a similar contract. Don't get me wrong he's been a great player but if the Warriors want to pay that much let him, and he'll be able to spend time with his family.

As far as Glenn Stewart leaving is concerned I'd much rather build a culture around Lyon and Cherry Evans than Glenn. I think he's very much part of the us against them thing that has been going on for a while between the players and management. As well as that his form has been well down in the last couple of years and he would have been able to get a lot more from Souths than us. I notice that Lyon hasn't been seen bagging out management.

t-ba

Post Whore
I'd be sad to see Matai go but he's earnt a big pay day and I wouldn't begrudge him going home to collect.

The other two are engaging in Zorba like theatrics. God if ever there was a man who should have been completely removed from the club, it's him.

All three and Glenn Stewart are absolute club legends however.

Patorick

Staff member
Sounds about right. There's also Hassan who looks pretty good, I think he was a Canberra poach:D. Anyway I'd love to keep Watmough and Matai but the Warriors look to have made Matai an offer he can't refuse so I really think we should release him rather than sign him to a similar contract. Don't get me wrong he's been a great player but if the Warriors want to pay that much let him, and he'll be able to spend time with his family.

As far as Glenn Stewart leaving is concerned I'd much rather build a culture around Lyon and Cherry Evans than Glenn. I think he's very much part of the us against them thing that has been going on for a while between the players and management. As well as that his form has been well down in the last couple of years and he would have been able to get a lot more from Souths than us. I notice that Lyon hasn't been seen bagging out management.
Cronulla champ.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
It has been years since we purchased a quality player. It would be nice to see the club fill any vacancies cheaply, and get out of the back ended contract saga. If we lost a couple, it might help retain DCE next year.

I haven't seen many (if any) Manly fans saying anything except sign DCE long term. We all know he is the gun to deliver more premierships. Having his signature at the club alone will bring a wealth of talent to the club. He must be signed. Anything less is a failure by our clubs management.