What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sth-East Qld Residents (Current or former) - Feedback please

Incorrect

Coach
Hey all,

Recently I've started giving some serious thought to re-locating from Sydney to Queensland, in particular south east QLD. I'm married with a couple of primary school aged kids... The wife's sister lives up there with her family, and have done so for the past 7 or 8 years after selling up in Sydney. We've been there a few times and stayed with them and I'm now starting to think I could easily make a permanent move.

I guess I'd like to hear people's thoughts, especially anyone who has made a similar move recently. Pros/Cons etc .

We're looking at the Coomera area to move to. Firstly though I need to get a job up there and it's almost a given that I'd be working in Brisbane if I was to land a job (I'm in IT), so I'm prepared for a commute. The missus might be able to keep her current job and work remotely so that's kinda handy... We've got a 6 week overseas family holiday starting in September so I'm kind of in a jam at the moment Re applying for jobs, I don't suppose too many prospective employers would be enthused about hiring someone right now who needs to take 6 weeks leave 2 months after starting!

Thanks in advance

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
What do you find attractive about Coomera ?

Any where else in SEQ would be more appealing for mine. Long way from the beach if you have kids.

Incorrect

Coach
What do you find attractive about Coomera ?

Any where else in SEQ would be more appealing for mine. Long way from the beach if you have kids.

I guess house prices and there's a train station for commuting to Brisbane...

But I'm open to any ideas and advice. The sister in law is at Robina and I don't want to be that far down. What sort of areas would you recommend out of interest?

Currently residing on the western side of Pirtek Stadium so by comparison, a place like Coomera is almost waterfront!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Depends what your priority is I guess, if you work on the Gold Coast there will be much better places. May be best to sus out work before you get here, lots of work on the GC atm working on the Comm Games infrastructure and its still 2 years away.

Dogs Of War

Coach
It's a long train trip. Forget about driving to/from the gc to Brisbane. I tried it and it's not great. Datacomm has offices in the Gold Coast so they could be a good bet if you want a job on the gc. Fuji has the Gold Coast council it contract so they may be another way in.

Another option if you good at what you do is ask your boss about shifting your job there. That's how I got up here.

Incorrect

Coach
It's a long train trip. Forget about driving to/from the gc to Brisbane. I tried it and it's not great. Datacomm has offices in the Gold Coast so they could be a good bet if you want a job on the gc. Fuji has the Gold Coast council it contract so they may be another way in.

Another option if you good at what you do is ask your boss about shifting your job there. That's how I got up here.

Unfortunately I am a NSW govt employee so no chance of shifting my job up to QLD... thanks for the tips on Fuji and DataCom.

Yeah the train ride from Coomera alone to Brisbane Central is an hour... it doesn't look like there are any express services from what I can see... I used to commute from western Sydney to Pyrmont. so that was an hour and a half each way give or take...on bad days it could be an hour 45+.

Is peak hour traffic in and around Brisbane in any comparable to Sydney? I wouldn't have thought so right? Sydney is a mess

no name

Coach
Unfortunately I am a NSW govt employee so no chance of shifting my job up to QLD... thanks for the tips on Fuji and DataCom.

Yeah the train ride from Coomera alone to Brisbane Central is an hour... it doesn't look like there are any express services from what I can see... I used to commute from western Sydney to Pyrmont. so that was an hour and a half each way give or take...on bad days it could be an hour 45+.

Is peak hour traffic in and around Brisbane in any comparable to Sydney? I wouldn't have thought so right? Sydney is a mess

Move to the Far North Coast, get the GC weather without the terrible drivers.

Springfield/greater springfield/ ripley valley are huge growth suburbs here. Housing is still quite affordable there. There is a lot of investment into these suburbs including hospitals, shopping centres and university. Train stations both at springfield and springfield central will have you in the city in about 35 minutes.

Its a big no for coomera from me.

Incorrect

Coach
Springfield/greater springfield/ ripley valley are huge growth suburbs here. Housing is still quite affordable there. There is a lot of investment into these suburbs including hospitals, shopping centres and university. Train stations both at springfield and springfield central will have you in the city in about 35 minutes.

Its a big no for coomera from me.

So that's 2 respondent's now advising to steer clear (more or less) from Coomera. Apart from its somewhat inconvenient location in relation to Brisbane, is there anything particularly unsavoury about the area??? eg radicalised muslim youths are running rampant in the area, bikie clubhouse stronghold????

Thanks for all the replies too by the way!

Dogs Of War

Coach
As for Coomera. If you have to live in the gc. Just don't go further north than Helensvale. There are express trains from Helensvale that skip a lot of stops. Not sure how much cash you have for a house. Robina/varsity lakes are very nice.

Incorrect

Coach
I just stumbled on to a website which has feedback on suburbs... seems to be a lot of complaints about hoons and dogs where Coomera is concerned.... :lol:

Incorrect

Coach
As for Coomera. If you have to live in the gc. Just don't go further north than Helensvale. There are express trains from Helensvale that skip a lot of stops. Not sure how much cash you have for a house. Robina/varsity lakes are very nice.

I'm looking to spend around 550-600K

no name

Coach
So that's 2 respondent's now advising to steer clear (more or less) from Coomera. Apart from its somewhat inconvenient location in relation to Brisbane, is there anything particularly unsavoury about the area??? eg radicalised muslim youths are running rampant in the area, bikie clubhouse stronghold????

Thanks for all the replies too by the way!

High density cheap housing.

Dogs Of War

Coach
Labrador on the government Rd side that's close to the water. That's going to go up and is well situated. About 15mins to the train station. Same to surfers etc.

hellteam

First Grade
If you want to check traffic get on Google maps around the time you would be driving home and type out the route... It will show you the traffic and how long it would take to get home. Pretty accurate.

Never really seen Sydney traffic but the commute to the coast can get pretty bad from what I've seen

hellteam

First Grade
As for the peak hour traffic around Brisbane, there are a lot of shortcuts if you know your way round. Only one way to get to the coast

Dogs Of War

Coach
That Logan area 10km stretch is the killer. It seems to not even need an accident. Just always a slow drive through that section.

Latest posts