What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky or Flanno ???????

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
anticipation

it was trained for clearly whereas before if an offload happened it was a total surprise - when a long pass happened no one was there
& just on that, I totally agree. it seems that on some recent performances, everything they have trained for since the off season is finally starting to come together. If they can maintain that consistency then perhaps they can make the finals. But I a mstill of the belief that we are still at least 2 quality players short on our left hand side, to be consistent & maintain confidence.

With the change of style who has been coaching us for the last month Sticky or Flanno?
I hope Gus is eating his words.
Plenty of people would pay to watch the Sharkies on tonights performance.

newysharksfan,

All jokes aside Stuart is obviously still the coach.

But it is quite obvious that our style of play changed remarkably from that Parramatta match. Everyone is saying it apart from the usual dopes of the forum like BTR. Just listen to any sporting commentator since the Parra match and they say why have they taken so long to play like this?????

The style of play Ricky was implementing had to change. It was so f**king negative and boring. It was never going to get results and was as outdated as Ricky Stuart.

Even Gallen made comments in an interview about trying to break out into what we are seeing now but they were being pulled into line by the coach.

Well Sticky finally caved in after handing his notice to the board in the lead up to the Parra game. He basically said to the players "ok I give in play the way you want to play throw it around and get expansive and adventurous and have fun."

And the rest is history.

So in summing up Ricky is the coach and selector and the players are playing the way they have wanted to since Stuart became so dire with his game plans. Ricky is still hampering the team with some shytehouse selections but hey at least the players are enjoying their footy again and we enjoying watching it again!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dragon Slayer. Number of games in senior rugby league= 0

Number of offloads cronulla V Rosters rnd 13 =8
Number of offloads Cronulla V Sotuhs Rnd 3 =12

Last edited:

millersnose

Post Whore
i spoke briefly to an ex roosters lower grader at the ground the other night

training was being discussed

he said rickies was very physical - up -back -up - back- up - back -up -back....................

The Dodger

First Grade
Dragon Slayer. Number of games in senior rugby league= 0

Number of offloads cronulla V Rosters rnd 13 =8
Number of offloads Cronulla V Sotuhs Rnd 3 =12
lol

im glad someone could be bothered looking for this stat and showing it to millers.

so millers, do you still think they are throwing the ball around alot more?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The passing game Millers is dependent on the conditions & other variables. Most obviously is when a team gets out by more than 12 points you see them open their shoulders up a bit more.
Offloads are a good indication of how much passing is going on. or a willingness to pass.
Have a look at the games we have won & the main differences are the error rate & therefore the completion rate.

millersnose

Post Whore
dodge - frankly blind freddy can see there is more passing - i made no comment at all on offloads

go on

just admit you have no f**king idea and made a mistake

millersnose

Post Whore
The passing game Millers is dependent on the conditions & other variables. Most obviously is when a team gets out by more than 12 points you see them open their shoulders up a bit more.
Offloads are a good indication of how much passing is going on. or a willingness to pass.
Have a look at the games we have won & the main differences are the error rate & therefore the completion rate.

1. handling is dependant upon many things - anticipation and expectation being most important

2. the offload rate is totally and utterly unrelated to the overall passing rate

The Dodger

First Grade
if you think that they have thrown all game plans out the door and are now just "throwing the ball around", then it is you that has no idea.

millersnose

Post Whore
if you feel the need to rewrite my posts in order to criticise them then go for it

i understand your frustration at not being able to counter anything i actually wrote

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
2. the offload rate is totally and utterly unrelated to the overall passing rate

You are very wrong on that point. The offload rate is directly related to it because of where most offloads occur .
Few offloads happen in the middle lanes. majority of offloads happen on the 30% target, left & right, or what is often mistakenly called the fringes. To get to this point, the ball needs to be passed or the player needs to run to that target. The Sharks have been attacking the 30's all year but just could not complete the set to get there, coming up with fumbles or poor support play/anticipation.
The other typical place offloads occur is the short blind, but still usually 2 wide, even though the space is is restricted. Again, passing game is required to get there.
One place you do not see offloads is on hitups, in the centre lanes.
Nothing has changed majorly in anything the Sharks are doing except for better execution, better awareness & more enthusiasm. The one constant is that when we surpass 80% completions, we win.

millersnose

Post Whore
with due respect reefy it is you who is very wrong

the offload rate has nothing to do with the overall passing rate

often a high offload rate is a sympton off poor attempts at catch up footy

you see it every week

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
with due respect reefy it is you who is very wrong

the offload rate has nothing to do with the overall passing rate

often a high offload rate is a sympton off poor attempts at catch up footy

you see it every week

So when a player says throw it around & the coach says stick to the game plan because they need to play catch up footy, on this occasion , because it suits your argument, the players didn't offload, they passed it. This is despite you saying that the game plan was better in the 2nd half against the broncs rnd 4 where we had 24 offloads & Gallen came up with the line, you keep quoting. Seems like your having 2 bob each way on that one.

millersnose

Post Whore
So when a player says throw it around & the coach says stick to the game plan because they need to play catch up footy, on this occasion , because it suits your argument, the players didn't offload, they passed it.

no

an offload is clearly defined

an offload is a pass that happens after a tackle has been started and the attacking player has managed to take at 2 defenders out of the line producing a numerical advantage

why did you make me explain something you already know?

you arent dodger!

This is despite you saying that the game plan was better in the 2nd half against the broncs rnd 4 where we had 24 offloads & Gallen came up with the line, you keep quoting. Seems like your having 2 bob each way on that one.

this is a pointless and futile excercise because you are never going to agree but here i will attempt to explain my pov in 3 levels

1. where the passes are minimal due to a bash it up the guts for 4 game plan

2. where a passing game is utilised in a controlled but riskier than 1. way in an effort to seek lazy defenders or people coming up out of the defence line producing holes

3. where the game is all but lost and your only hope is extremely riskier passing that is more likely to end in a turnover due to a drop

where i beleive the sharks were in round 1 was 1.

where i beleive they are now is at 2

were they probably were in the second half v the broncos rd 4 was at 3

but the success of that half -which was confirmed by gallen - was contrary to the game plan

but the wild passing in that game exposed some of the sharks are actually quite talented

that is were i and i beleive others saw the way forward

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
1. where the passes are minimal due to a bash it up the guts for 4 game plan

2. where a passing game is utilised in a controlled but riskier than 1. way in an effort to seek lazy defenders or people coming up out of the defence line producing holes

3. where the game is all but lost and your only hope is extremely riskier passing that is more likely to end in a turnover due to a drop

I completely agree with that. But the breaks are created around tackles/tacklers. Teh team plays to the offload point, usually at the 30% lane. Hoffman, Toops , Baz Gal, Thaiday etc are the guys/offloaders they look for. If the team does it job passing, it will get to the offload area. Rarely are tries scored with players untouched.

But since we agree on passes & offloads, do you really think that the entire game plan is changed, just to introduce those variations? I have played in games where we used all of those scenarios. In fact, I think every game I played in was like that.