What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sticky or Flanno ???????

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
those stats can say lots of things, but basically show that there is very little difference in passing amounts when you look at them. Something of note is tha both times we played the Broncs Sticky gave Cuthbo & Toops the order to offload.

Frenzy.

Post Whore
They do say lots of things. interesting to see how they get interpreted.

They don't say Ricky told Cuthbo to offload against the Broncos though.

He didn't play against them in the 44-16 loss :lol: :lol:

sticky ricky

Juniors
Unless I am reading it incorrectly it appears that we are definitely passing the ball more in the past few games but the play the balls are up over the same period as well. If you look at the games with the highest passes they are also the games with the highest number of play the balls. This would indicate it is the improved completion rate that is resulting in the additional passes...

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Unless I am reading it incorrectly it appears that we are definitely passing the ball more in the past few games but the play the balls are up over the same period as well. If you look at the games with the highest passes they are also the games with the highest number of play the balls. This would indicate it is the improved completion rate that is resulting in the additional passes...

noice!

Frenzy.

Post Whore
What about if we add errors into the equation?

817a85c6.jpg

What about if we add errors into the equation?

817a85c6.jpg

Very interesting table you have there Frenzy.

There are stats here that supports the "we are passing and attacking more side of things" and stats that support the Reefy side "we are playing the same but just executing better." And then there are stats that go against both sides of the argument.

We had two wins with an error rate that was our 2nd and 3rd worse of any match. But what was the error rate of our opposition? I bet it was worse.

We have had our biggest win when we had our least amount of errors however.

Our error rate has improved in the last 4 matches compared to our first 4 matches.

Definately our passing rate is up in the last 4 games which has resulted in more enjoyable footy to watch and more "in" the game but poor ref decisions and poor playmaking decisions cruelled us against the Panthers and Broncos unlike our thrashings earlier in the season where we just played boring defensive football and quickly lost touch and showed little enthusiasm.

There is definately no correlation to offloads compared to passing rates. You may say it does when you look at the last Broncos and Eels games but then look at our wins against the Roosters and the Knights. Low offload rate and a high passing game.

Most of our biggest losses also correspond with a very low passing game.

So my final verdict from all this would be play an adventurous but calculated passing game and have fewer errors than the opposition and you have a bloody good chance of being competitive and bloody winning.

Last edited:

Surely

Post Whore
Our lowest passing game was against manly where we got pizzled in the penalties and had to kickoff numerous times in the first half

you also have to take into account at what stage in the tackle count was the error made.

The Dodger

First Grade
thats an interesting point you birng up there sticky dicky.

but do you believe the team has thrown all game plans out the window and are just "throwing the ball around"?

Can you add the penalty counts as well Frenzy?

Thanks mate.

Nah just joking....haha.

You've outdone yourself compiling all that.

Much appreciated.

And wow more of the puzzle is pieced together.

The most telling is the time in possession.

We have had more possession than the opposition in only 4 of our 12 games. And guess what. They were the 4 we won.

FMD.

It's not rocket science is it.

Keep possession of the ball. Whether it's repeat sets, high completion rates or winning the penalty count and your well on the way to winning the game.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Very interesting table you have there Frenzy.

There are stats here that supports the "we are passing and attacking more side of things" and stats that support the Reefy side "we are playing the same but just executing better." And then there are stats that go against both sides of the argument.

We had two wins with an error rate that was our 2nd and 3rd worse of any match. But what was the error rate of our opposition? I bet it was worse.

We have had our biggest win when we had our least amount of errors however.

Our error rate has improved in the last 4 matches compared to our first 4 matches.

Definately our passing rate is up in the last 4 games which has resulted in more enjoyable footy to watch and more "in" the game but poor ref decisions and poor playmaking decisions cruelled us against the Panthers and Broncos unlike our thrashings earlier in the season where we just played boring defensive football and quickly lost touch and showed little enthusiasm.

There is definately no correlation to offloads compared to passing rates. You may say it does when you look at the last Broncos and Eels games but then look at our wins against the Roosters and the Knights. Low offload rate and a high passing game.

Most of our biggest losses also correspond with a very low passing game.

So my final verdict from all this would be play an adventurous but calculated passing game and have fewer errors than the opposition and you have a bloody good chance of being competitive and bloody winning.

Shoot me down as this is just a theory that popped into my head. I think it's safe to say we're throwing the ball around more, playing more unpredictable. Could this unpredicatability be physically exhausting the defence causing more errors by them offensively? Menatally they have to be sharp, and physically sharp to stop any raids. Previously we would run out of room with backline movements and inevitably throw an inside ball to the winger. The defence could read as like a book thus working less thus having more energy to run there plays more effectively.

P.S It's been a while since frenzy has cracked out the excel.

coolumsharkie

Referee
Possesion is the most obvious stat that contributes to wins and seems to be due to completions somewhat.

who would of thunk it?

Surely

Post Whore
The most telling is the time in possession.

We have had more possession than the opposition in only 4 of our 12 games. And guess what. They were the 4 we won.

FMD.

It's not rocket science is it.

No but dont try telling that to the washup man.

Shoot me down as this is just a theory that popped into my head. I think it's safe to say we're throwing the ball around more, playing more unpredictable. Could this unpredicatability be physically exhausting the defence causing more errors by them offensively? Menatally they have to be sharp, and physically sharp to stop any raids. Previously we would run out of room with backline movements and inevitably throw an inside ball to the winger. The defence could read as like a book thus working less thus having more energy to run there plays more effectively.

P.S It's been a while since frenzy has cracked out the excel.

Sounds about right to me Stonecutter.

An exhausted defense is more prone to make more mistakes, miss more tackles, be less organised, be proned to giving away penalties and in attack have less energy, more lack of cohesion and drop more ball.

The defense isn't going to get exhausted combating an attacking team playing one out footy.

And yes Frenzy has done a marvelous job with those stats.

Much credit to him!

Last edited:

The Dodger

First Grade
i created a thread earlier on this season how the main reason we were losing was because of our completion rates and our errors, i got shot down for it.

seems like i was right.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
The defense isn't going to get exhausted comvating an attacking team playing one out footy.
Except we were a team that never had the intention of playing "1 out footy". Our game plan is the same. With no dropped balls & higher completions & getting to the "good" kick, we put the team in a position to offer variations & open up the shoulders.
When the team struggling in possession & making errors the smart thing to do is tighten up until you get a grip on the game again, or at least try to.

Latest posts