What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Still Waiting for Blair to Shine

holman

Juniors
I watched the Melbourne V Broncos on Friday night and I am still waiting on Adam Blair to show something outstanding to warrant the big outlay we have made. I have watched every game he has played since we have been linked to him and I am F-----d if I can see anything special about this bloke. I would rather get hold of Procter for half the money.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think when some players sign elsewhere mid-season, on big coin, they write the current year off and start thinking about the next season.

Idris is another classic example

IFR33K

Coach
I hope he pays off for you guys, considering you lost fifita to get Blair.

An interesting stat, not sure if you are aware of. Fifita has the highest amount of tackle busts of any forward in the nrl. Amazing considering he only plays a moderate amount of minutes.

It's almost bewildering to think sheens rates BMM over fifita.

Yawn, weren't clowns on here telling us all through 2008 that Gareth Ellis was going to be a dud? Then all through 2009 they said Lote would also be a dud. Blair is a gun player and will be one of our best next year.

R2Coupe

Juniors
I hope he pays off for you guys, considering you lost fifita to get Blair.

An interesting stat, not sure if you are aware of. Fifita has the highest amount of tackle busts of any forward in the nrl. Amazing considering he only plays a moderate amount of minutes.

It's almost bewildering to think sheens rates BMM over fifita.

Paper last week, the choice was between Fifita, Woods and Groat. Could only keep 2 of the 3. So far, the decision looks to be the correct one.

holman

Juniors
I will go on record now and state that he will be the DUD of the year in regards to what we have paid for him. You would pay Slater, Cronk, and Smith $500,000 a year but not this bloke.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Blair was very good on Friday night, don't know what you were watching.

He will be worth every cent.

To be honest, I don't give a f**k what we are paying him, as we can fit him into the team without losing any of our guns: Marshall, Farah, Lawrence, Tuqiri, Galloway, Ellis. Simple as that.

holman

Juniors
If he was so F-----g good list the highlights, tackle busts,? big hits,? try assists?. So you reckon he is just a good a buy as Slater, Cronk, or Smith? I will check out the Dally M etc and see where he rates. Like I said I have been watching him for 10 weeks and I cannot see anything special. I hope I am wrong and he becomes a star for us, it is just my opinion.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
If he was so F-----g good list the highlights, tackle busts,? big hits,? try assists?. So you reckon he is just a good a buy as Slater, Cronk, or Smith? I will check out the Dally M etc and see where he rates. Like I said I have been watching him for 10 weeks and I cannot see anything special. I hope I am wrong and he becomes a star for us, it is just my opinion.

You need to watch him closely and ignore stats and f**king useless awards like the Dally M, which has the likes of L.Daley as a f**king judge.

Watch closer. Blair wraps up the ball in every tackle, probably the best wrestler in the game, which is incidentally one of the weakest parts of our game.

He made plenty of meters from the point of contact on every hit up, that's not measured in any stat count.

He scrambles well, never drops off a tackle and made at least one very noticeable try saving tackle near his posts.

He is strong in defense and attack, very skillful and has a good offload.

Great player, IMO he will be just as good and as valuable as Ellis for us.

holman

Juniors
10 WEEKS of watching him closely is enough for me to base my opinion on. Best wrestler in the game, that is a bonus especially if they crack down on it again as bought to light by Fittler, Sterling, and Peter Peters.

macnaz

Staff member
Fifita is no loss at all
What do u base that on ?? On his last few weeks ?? Ill admit that since a near man of match performance against the Knights AND then getting the arse he has done Jack... BUT he still leads the NRL for TACKLE BREAKS even tho he hasnt give a shit for the last month.. Hardly a player thats not a loss IMO.

macnaz

Staff member
I will go on record now and state that he will be the DUD of the year in regards to what we have paid for him. You would pay Slater, Cronk, and Smith $500,000 a year but not this bloke.

He may be good for us BUT yes i agree with you Holman if we are throwing them sorta bucks around we could have any player in the game we wanted ,, NOT just a good 2nd rower.

TYGA

Juniors
You need to watch him closely and ignore stats and f**king useless awards like the Dally M, which has the likes of L.Daley as a f**king judge.

Watch closer. Blair wraps up the ball in every tackle, probably the best wrestler in the game, which is incidentally one of the weakest parts of our game.

He made plenty of meters from the point of contact on every hit up, that's not measured in any stat count.

He scrambles well, never drops off a tackle and made at least one very noticeable try saving tackle near his posts.

He is strong in defense and attack, very skillful and has a good offload.

Great player, IMO he will be just as good and as valuable as Ellis for us.

Couldn't agree more. Suggest doubters watch the GF against Parra year before last for a reminder. The club was not playing for points last year and he is leaving them this year. He is a defensive beast and will replace Payten as another ball playing option.

westie

Bench
It's clear how many people here literally just watch the flashy moments of the game. He's been signed to toughed up the middle of the park, and he's expert at it. Hybrid has detailed what this is. Ellis is really the only other one in our pack who is even close the the same level. The fact that he can hold the ball in one hand and run awesome lines is a bonus.

Fifita only gets his tackle busts running across field. Tackle busts are different to line breaks. He can beat 5 tackles and lose ground. The worst fullbacks and wingers in the game often have high tackle busts because they lob across field on kick returns instead of actually making any metres.

hutch

First Grade
It's clear how many people here literally just watch the flashy moments of the game. He's been signed to toughed up the middle of the park, and he's expert at it. Hybrid has detailed what this is. Ellis is really the only other one in our pack who is even close the the same level. The fact that he can hold the ball in one hand and run awesome lines is a bonus.

Fifita only gets his tackle busts running across field. Tackle busts are different to line breaks. He can beat 5 tackles and lose ground. The worst fullbacks and wingers in the game often have high tackle busts because they lob across field on kick returns instead of actually making any metres.

I'm happy we got him but not for one-eighth of the salary cap, he is not worth that much to a team and I wouldnt be putting him in ellis' class!

simmo1

First Grade
He is easily as good as Ellis. They will form an extremely formidable back row, and if Dwyer continues to improve then it will easily be the best in the comp.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Why does it matter how much we are paying him anyway? We have fit him under the cap along with Marshall, Farah, Lote, Lawrence, Ellis, Galloway.

Had we lost anyone of note I would be concerned, but we haven't.

meltiger

First Grade

Good post.

Fifita can look good when running straight, but far too often it's this straight across the field shit you are talking about.

The kid has talent, no question, but a choice between a proven, international backrower who brings qualities to the club desperately needed @ 500k, vs a kid prop not yet proven @ 300k, i'll take Blair. Particularly when young Woods is showing so much potential.