What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stingers

Trojan Horse

Juniors
One I've always wondered about.

How much truth is there in the general belief that, if you were to ask an undercover poilice officer whether he is a police officer or not whilst he is on a stakeout or general work duty (undercover operation), he is forced to reveal his identity?

Is this television hogwash we are often introduced to or is there some truth to this belief?

I cannot believe this could possibly be so, if in fact it is. Can you imagine how many "stingers' could be killed if they were to reveal their identities in the line of duty?

Maybe someone can set the record straight....

brook

First Grade
even if that were true (which I doubt as well) I think you'd find its an americanism only.

I'm certain that isn't the case here because i remember reading some newspaper article where some idiot tried it....forget where though

oh well I'm sure it won't take long for the forum cop to answer it :p

Cupid Stunt

I was under the impression that it would be true to some degree. My way of thinking is that if a bottle-stopper approaches you in, for eg, a pub & offers you 1kg of mary-jane for $500 & you buy it, thats A) a shite hot deal :lol: & B) entrapment & thats a no-no. Therefore if you ask said bottle-stopper if he is indeed from the dark side he would have to tell you otherwise the charge of buying the goods would be null & void anyway.

This is no doubt wrong on a 1000 thousand levels but I'm having dinner with a D tonight so if no-one has cleared it up by tomorrow I'll post what I'm told.

Spike

First Grade
Undercover police DO NOT have to reveal they are police if they are involved in an operation if it jeopardises the operation.

All police undercover work involves deception otherwise we would be in uniform. Society considers this work morally justified if it's the only way to obtain evidence to apprehend a genuine suspect so they must accept that some forms of deception are morally justified whilst these operations are being conducted. If a suspect asks an undercover police officer whilst conducting an operation if they are a cop then the officer is allowed to lie.

I tell people when I'm off duty that I'm a cop and they laugh their arse off :(

Cupid Stunt

What Spike said is roughly what I was told. UNDERCOVER can essentially say what they like when on a job but otherwise all have to tell the truth.

Trojan Horse

Juniors
Thanks for your input, Road Spike.

I do appreciate the post straight from the horses mouth. What state do you practise your profession in, if I may ask, when you are not based in the Vatican City?