What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stone in quandary over who will start outside Mullen

Alex28

Coach
KNIGHTS coach Rick Stone is no closer to settling on his halves for the first game of their NRL campaign after all the contenders staked legitimate claims in Newcastle’s comprehensive 32-10 victory over Cronulla in the pre-season trial at Muswellbrook on Saturday night.
Stone is deliberating between using Ben Rogers or 2009 National Youth Cup player of the year Beau Henry at five-eighth with halfback Jarrod Mullen for the season-opener against Penrith at Centrebet Stadium on March 13.
Henry and Mullen started against the Sharks and were impressive, helping Newcastle establish a 10-0 half-time lead to set up the six-tries-to-two win.
Rogers came off the bench and set up second-half tries for Shannon McDonnell with a deft offload and Junior Sa’u with an in-goal grubber kick.
Further clouding the picture, Stone switched captain Kurt Gidley from fullback to the halves for a short stint in the second half.
‘‘No injuries is important, a bit of continuity is good but it probably doesn’t help our halfback scramble that everyone will be asking me about,’’ Stone said.
‘‘We’ll have a look at the tape and see what we think of Beau Henry and Mullo and possibly even Kurt playing a bit in the halves.
‘‘I was happy enough with Beau and Ben and Shannon McDonnell did well too, so I think I’ve got more headaches coming out of the game than I did going in from a selection perspective.
‘‘I thought defensively we grew a little bit better and we grew with some momentum and confidence as the game went on.
‘‘I think there’s always plenty of work to do in attack at this time of year.’’
The Knights cleared out to lead 22-0 before the Sharks posted their first points in the 61st minute, when fullback Nathan Gardner finished a second-man play to touch down out wide.
Sa’u and former Sharks hooker Isaac De Gois both scored their second tries then Matt Wright added a consolation try for Cronulla in the final minute.
Rogers, who had a blood test last week to determine the source of a knee injury, showed no ill effects and said he had done all he could to push for a start against his junior club.
‘‘There’s no more trials. We’ve been talking about it for a while so as you say, there’s nothing else I can do,’’ said Rogers, whose 2010 season finished in July when he tore ankle ligaments against the Cowboys.
‘‘Both my knees are fine and I’ve pulled up with no injuries.
‘‘My ankle is a little bit stiff but that’s how it pulls up after every game, so I’m good to go for round one. I’m available for selection.’’
Henry, who also played in trials against Penrith and Fiji, said the competition for positions was healthy.
‘‘The pre-season has been really good and I think Benny Rogers, myself and Mullo have all played some good footy, so it’s not going to be an easy thing to get into first grade here and that can only be a good thing for the team,’’ he said.
Mullen said the players had taken confidence from their pre-season performances and results.
Sharks back-rower Jeremy Smith was reported for the alleged tripping of Knights prop Antonio Kaufusi in the 50th minute.
KNIGHTS 32 (J Sa’u 2, I De Gois 2, A Uate, S McDonnell, tries; K Gidley 3, W Naiqama goals) SHARKS 10 (N Gardner, M Wright tries; T Smith goal) at Olympic Park, Muswellbrook
Half-time: Knights 10-0
Crowd: about 4000 Referees: Shayne Hayne, Henry Perenara
Seems it is down to Henry or Rogers. Saying Gidley "for a bit" is not indicative that he'll play 80 minutes there Coasty. McDonnell for Centurions.

:)

I would like to see them start with henry and Mullen and only use Dodge when absolutely needed. Otherwise why did we recruit Henry? Ethan Cooke off the bench is a better idea. His ball skills could open a game right up and he could play stand off IMO if required.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Would much rather Hilder come on at lock to tighten up our defence in the middle then fill in at hooker/halves off the bench. De Gois is an 80 minute player and we lose spark when he comes off because he's simply 10x the hooker, Hilder is. Whereas Costigan isn't an 80 minute player, I don't think (Could be wrong) and imo you need a good defender when one goes off and Hilder is by far our best defender.

Last edited:

roopy

Referee
I'm just sad it's come down to Mullen playing 7, which we all know is not his best position.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think if Henry gets the nod Mullen will be a false 7. From what I've seen of Beau Henry he seems quite capable of playing 1st receiver, which will allow Mullen to slot into his preferred 2nd receiver role

Coastbloke

Bench
I guess we'll find out Tuesday week...

I'm not allowed to post my selections as this forum isn't democratic, but you know what I'd like to see...

As I've said before though, if I'm wrong and Henry blitzes it, I'm happy to stand corrected...

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I guess we'll find out Tuesday week...

I'm not allowed to post my selections as this forum isn't democratic, but you know what I'd like to see...

As I've said before though, if I'm wrong and Henry blitzes it, I'm happy to stand corrected...

I'm just stoked that you will be able to make a judgment based on seeing the bloke play :roll:

Spark Plug

Juniors
i dont know too much about Henry, apart from hearing the wraps from the dragons u/20's and i went to the Penrith trial. But i reckon we have to play Rogers. I'm not a fan of Rogers, but i think Henry needs to earn his spot in first grade...Rogers is hit/miss as we know, but its a big ask round 1 to slot in as half back against quality opposition.Give him a few weeks...im sure by the end of the season he will be our no 7, but not just yet

Big Tim

First Grade
i dont know too much about Henry, apart from hearing the wraps from the dragons u/20's and i went to the Penrith trial. But i reckon we have to play Rogers. I'm not a fan of Rogers, but i think Henry needs to earn his spot in first grade...Rogers is hit/miss as we know, but its a big ask round 1 to slot in as half back against quality opposition.Give him a few weeks...im sure by the end of the season he will be our no 7, but not just yet

Personally, I think Henry should start the season in 14, or in the Centurions. Should be eased in, AKA Mullo.

Spot On

Coach
If I was in Stone's position - second year coach, pressure from media suggesting he needs to perform or will be sacked, having the Tinkler takeover happening and rumours of Bennett being lured - I'd be hesitant to use an unknown entity at half/pivot to kick start my season. It would be much easier to fall back on and use the Mullo/Rogers combo and ease Henry in off the bench perhaps. That is stating the obvious I know.

He'll be showing some massive balls to start Henry first up. Maybe he has confidence the kid can do his job. Whatever happens, the forward pack needs to put in a massive collective performance and keep that form rolling weekly. Not once a month. Again stating the obvious, but a repeat of the go froward we had for the majority of last season (I read somewhere Newcastle was second last in this area in 2010) is not going to give any halves combo much chance to do anything. So, come on boys, take us back to the days when our pack was relishing and winning the arm wrestle and let the backs do their thing.

perverse

Referee
i'm truly amazed we were second last. i wonder which poor bastards were behind us in the go-forward department? possibly the dogs?

it is absolutely the area that we need to see the biggest improvement in for us to have a good year. good things happen when the forwards go forward.

i'm truly amazed we were second last. i wonder which poor bastards were behind us in the go-forward department? possibly the dogs?

it is absolutely the area that we need to see the biggest improvement in for us to have a good year. good things happen when the forwards go forward.
Tinkler is fully aware of the go forward issues. Hopefully he can still secure Kade. If he does we WILL improve in the go forward and hopefully Nev will show we have made marked improvement there this season. Kaufusi needs to get his 2007 form back and we will go well.

Pika

Bench
How do you know what Tinklier is fully aware of?

For all we know he has absolutely no idea what makes a decent NRL team.

The guy also owns the Jets. Does that make him an expert on player recruitment in soccer?

I can tell you the push for Snowy has come from people already in the Club. Tinkler is just trying to push the deal on thier behalf.

I have no idea why people assume that the man buying the Club has some intricate knowledge of League? Perhaps it was his half season at Scone in the front row or whatever it was.

He is a 'fan' of the sport who loves the Club. He is a businessman, not an expert on all things in league.

Pika I see your point but my question to you is how is Tinkler acting on behalf of certain people inside the club when Burraston stated in print that he had no idea who was talking to Snowden outside of the club's inner circle. Burro said the deal was off as of Feb 9 and they were looking at backs ie. Idris. A week ago they were ready to step into a legal battle over outstanding payments on a corporate box.

Pika

Bench
Apologise for my post above mate. On second read it came across a bit harsh.

Coaching staff have privately expressed interest in Snowy since preseason 2009 - season 2010.

I daresay the Coach and staff didnt directly ask Tinkler to do it, but he knew who they wanted.

I see Tinklers approach to Snowy as a midirected attempt to impress them.

Latest posts