What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm continue to be country’s most popular nrl club

Someguy

First Grade
Imagine if we still had Perth and Adelaide. Drop tigers or sharks to make it happen and we can go back to even number of teams

docbrown

Coach
Why do you think that is so ? does it suggest the next generation of sport followers in Victoria (assuming a lot of those engagements are from Vic.) are less parochial than your average f-ball cult member of previous generations or something else.
Social conventions change over time as things like demographics change. There is less pressure for children to conform to a one particular stereotype than what there was even just 20 years ago. Right now these teens are living in households where their parents can often dictate their viewing and spending habits. But in 10-15 years, as they make more of their own choices as independent adults, you'll see their preferences reflected in crowds and TV subscribers.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Social conventions change over time as things like demographics change. There is less pressure for children to conform to a one particular stereotype than what there was even just 20 years ago. Right now these teens are living in households where their parents can often dictate their viewing and spending habits. But in 10-15 years, as they make more of their own choices as independent adults, you'll see their preferences reflected in crowds and TV subscribers.
Yes, that was pretty much my thinking as well. Mum and Dad can control what`s on the TV but they have far lees control of what the kids are looking at on their laptops in their bedroom. League and its` players produce some great stuff (I believe) on those platforms and League highlights are always good. Why wouldn`t the kids take a sneaky look.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
There's only one rugby code in australia now so that helps.
We can laugh about that but I`ve no doubt there is a very strong element of truth in it. For a long time we`ve been fighting the code war with fumbleball with one arm tied behind our back, the more union in Oz goes down the gurgler, the more League will pick-up their disaffected fans.

docbrown

Coach
Yes, that was pretty much my thinking as well. Mum and Dad can control what`s on the TV but they have far lees control of what the kids are looking at on their laptops in their bedroom. League and its` players produce some great stuff (I believe) on those platforms and League highlights are always good. Why wouldn`t the kids take a sneaky look.
Pretty much. But remember it's not just with parents. 25 years ago you were pretty much watching whatever 9, 7, 10 or the ABC thought you should watch. The internet has democratised your ability and personal liberty to find things that you like and also a community to support you pursue your interests. There is no 'normal' any more.

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Pretty much. But remember it's not just with parents. 25 years ago you were pretty much watching whatever 9, 7, 10 or the ABC thought you should watch. The internet has democratised your ability and personal liberty to find things that you like and also a community to support you pursue your interests. There is no 'normal' any more.
Getting back to your Melbourne numbers, how important do you think those sort of numbers are to sponsors, advertisers etc. Does the glimpse of a sponsor`s brand name or logo carry much value in those settings do you think ?

docbrown

Coach
Getting back to your Melbourne numbers, how important do you think those sort of numbers are to sponsors, advertisers etc. Does the glimpse of a sponsor`s brand name or logo carry much value in those settings do you think ?
It really depends on the ad and the platform. Unskippable celebrity brand promotion is your ideal.

gerg

Juniors
We can laugh about that but I`ve no doubt there is a very strong element of truth in it. For a long time we`ve been fighting the code war with fumbleball with one arm tied behind our back, the more union in Oz goes down the gurgler, the more League will pick-up their disaffected fans.

I think Rugby Australia are doing a wonderful job as a feeder club ATM

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
I think Rugby Australia are doing a wonderful job as a feeder club ATM
Yeah, and they ought to get their act together, because let`s face it, they really provide sfa given their numbers - although paltry. Get your act together aru.
Brilliantly ironic though really because I can remember like it was yesterday that pompous fool Spiro Zavos in the Herald and ftzsmmns echoing him that League would become a " parish pump sport " in Oz and what remained would serve as a feeder system to union.

cue: https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/46565/ozymandias

wazdog

Juniors

Just to show how much this should be taken with a grain of salt, Roy Morgan can't even get their comparative detail right. Here's the 2022 chart.

1696129394518.png
Source: Roy Morgan Single Source Australia, April 2020-March 2021, n=66,050 & April 2021-March 2022, n=65,365. Base: Australians 14+. *New Zealand Warriors support only includes Australian-based supporters.

Latest posts