What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm future looking up

Routy21

Juniors
Great Stuff!!!! Waldron's influence is starting to kick in!

More people are attending games than ever before, membership revenue is above that of previous years and the team is exceeding last year’s performance. The vibes emanating from the Melbourne Storm are particularly positive since the former CEO of the St. Kilda Football Club, Brian Waldron, switched football codes to guide the Storm through choppy waters.

The Storm team of 2005 is winning more games and sitting higher on the NRL ladder than at the same stage in 2004. Add to this they are scoring more points and conceding fewer and one could conclude, considering the Storm played off in a semi-final last year, the on-field performance of the team has been at times sensational.

The on-field team success, coupled with the hard work and dedication of the behind the scenes team, has resulted in a significant increase in supporters turning up for home games at Olympic Park. The Storm is averaging approximately 2000 more spectators per game in 2005, which is testament to the dedication of all associated with the club.

Asked what the changes are at the Melbourne Storm this year and Mr. Waldron will tell you there has been a clear change in the organisation’s policies.

"We’ve strategically changed our attitudes towards advertising, providing greater resources and targeting our key demographic," said Waldron.

"We’ve increased our public relations activities in terms of making the general public more aware of our players in the marketplace. I mean, we have an exciting list of players such as Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and rising star Greg Inglis, so it seems like common sense to get their names out there."

Ticket sales for this Saturday’s game are up by 80% on the last home game against the Sharks, and overall, Storm pre-game sales are up by 385% from the same stage last year.

Sporting fixtures have become more than just about the game in recent times. They have become an entertainment package that the Melbourne Storm has attempted to capitalise on.

"We’ve focussed on the profile of the game as an event rather than just a game," explained Waldron.

"We’ve had a few marquee events this year such as the re-naming of both of the stands at Olympic Park, which happened to coincide with a record breaking performance by the team against the Brisbane Broncos."

As they say in sport, statistics and numbers don’t lie. If the old adage is true, the Melbourne Storm is on course for plain sailing in the not too distant future.

The Melbourne Storm takes on last year’s premiers, the Bulldogs this Saturday at Olympic Park. In what is shaping as a vital game for both clubs, a win could shape the remainder of their seasons. A Storm win will firmly entrench them in the top eight, while a Bulldogs victory would give them the confidence to maybe recapture the form that took them all the way to the title in 2004.

Dakink

Bench
Must say I love Melbourne and what they bring to the NRL. This is music to my ears, who nows in 10 years time they might be the next NQ\Newcastle and getting large crownds wether they are winning or losing.

annav

Juniors
I don't think an average home crowd of about 12,000 is good enough for one state, but I think the club was not managed well in the past and hopefully a local can turn things around for them

dimitri

First Grade
annav said:
I don't think an average home crowd of about 12,000 is good enough for one state, but I think the club was not managed well in the past and hopefully a local can turn things around for them

the queensland reds union team gets crowds lower than that

12,000 at the moment would be excellent for league in victoria

we need to build slowly

Big Mick

Referee
Thank god someone half decent is running Melbourne.

Thats all it took. Change in the guard, change in advertising and someone who is respected down in Melbourne.

He's been there for what...6-8 months and has already accomplished more than last CEO's around him previously.

MONY

Juniors
at least we have some exciting juniors coming through......inglis, graham, davui.

Billy the kid said:
Him and Chris Anderson f**ked the club up.

You're kidding yourself. Reebs got us a club in the first place, and Anderson won us a title in our second year. Things turned sour internally a couple of years on, but lets not forget the influence they have had on the club

salivor

First Grade
dimitri said:
the queensland reds union team gets crowds lower than that

12,000 at the moment would be excellent for league in victoria

we need to build slowly

But the QLD Reds are an absolute joke of a team this year and in recent years as well. The Storm on the other hand are high on the table and playing probably the best brand of footy in the comp at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I think 12,000 is getting better for a non-RL state but it's still a poor comparrison to make.

bender

Juniors
salivor said:
But the QLD Reds are an absolute joke of a team this year and in recent years as well. The Storm on the other hand are high on the table and playing probably the best brand of footy in the comp at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I think 12,000 is getting better for a non-RL state but it's still a poor comparrison to make.

Other than last year and possibly the year before, didnt Storm average 12000 or more in every other season they played?

And as for some of the other suggestions, honestly you are kidding yourselves, Yeah Ribot and Anderson really damaged the storm, the storm averaged more people under Ribot, who assisted Anderson in forming the squad that won the title in about its second or third year (something which most Sydney clubs havent done for 20 or so years and that Cronulla have never done) and made the finals almost every year they played. all in a state which has virtually zero local juniors.

Storm lost a lot when Ribot, in particular left, and the club has not climbed back to the heights it enjoyed with him in charge, although hopefully they will one day. Incidentally, Ribot's record as a CEO, is probably better than anyone else ever, I know i certainly cant think of anyone with a better record in the nrl.

Has there been any increase in media coverage since Waldron took over ?

I thought when he took over as ex-CEO of St.Kilda he night have better access to the media. Tough market.

Latest posts