What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm Lodge Complaint to Fox Sports and NRL

So the Storm are in the right simply because it was Paul Kent who called them out for it?

Hi Saint Nick,

No that’s not my rationale. That’s not the reason I back the Storm here.

It’s because I believe the Kaufusi tackle didn’t deserve any more than what the NRL determined as an appropriate punishment. That’s my view and if others disagree then fine.

I see Kent’s ranting as an atypical journalistic practice to get the absolute most out of any story they can. One that will get the most attention / clicks / what you will... for the longest time. And here, Kent has - as his is tendency - become the loudest in order to prove “he’s right”.

Bellamy didn’t argue against the suspension. He was asked a question from a journalist about Paul Kent’s view of it which deserved a much longer suspension, which he said was ridiculous (not the exact quote, but to that effect).

Personally I didn’t think it warranted any suspension. But that aside, what different answer do you expect from a club coach who’s asked if his player should have been suspended for much longer because a fellow journalist has an opinion...

It was bait. Pure bait. To “keep the story going”..

I’ll back the integrity of Craig Bellamy 1000 times more than I would a journalist with the only accountability of needing clicks and ratings to keep himself relevant and in a job.

betcats

Referee
Ooooh we have an Internet warrior lol
given your club only exists due to the misery of gambling I’d suggest you’re not in much of a place to comment on ethics!

Your club was sponsored by crown for how long? f**king hypocrite moron. If there is a bigger pack of criminals in gambling than crown I will be surprised, dirty merkins arent even eligible for a gaming license in NSW.

eDIT: And one of your club owners is a f**king bookie you dope, galss houses PR.

Last edited:

Mark B

Juniors
I guess we will wait and see. If they are demanding an apology, then it’s a toothless (no offence to Souffs fans) and empty threat. It’s when they start with the threats of legal action things get interesting. ATM it just seems the Storm along with Bellamy are just pissed they have been called out on grubby tactics (Sorry Perth Red) which is spot on IMHO.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Suck it up, grubmerkins. I don't like K unt any more than the next person but on this point, he is spot on. Melbourne are just about the only side in the comp that regularly employs flat out dirty tactics to win games. They don't give a shit who they have to walk over to win.

Jim Rockford

Bench
I guess we will wait and see. If they are demanding an apology, then it’s a toothless (no offence to Souffs fans) and empty threat. It’s when they start with the threats of legal action things get interesting. ATM it just seems the Storm along with Bellamy are just pissed they have been called out on grubby tactics (Sorry Perth Red) which is spot on IMHO.
No offence to me as I have all my teeth as do all the other Bunnies fans I know. Thing is , I've lived in the Parramatta area my whole life and have encountered quite a few Crapamatta fans who are dentally challenged. I'm sure you won't let reality get in the way of your pathetic attempt at humour though.

saint.nick

Coach
Hi Saint Nick,

No that’s not my rationale. That’s not the reason I back the Storm here.

It’s because I believe the Kaufusi tackle didn’t deserve any more than what the NRL determined as an appropriate punishment. That’s my view and if others disagree then fine.

I see Kent’s ranting as an atypical journalistic practice to get the absolute most out of any story they can. One that will get the most attention / clicks / what you will... for the longest time. And here, Kent has - as his is tendency - become the loudest in order to prove “he’s right”.

Bellamy didn’t argue against the suspension. He was asked a question from a journalist about Paul Kent’s view of it which deserved a much longer suspension, which he said was ridiculous (not the exact quote, but to that effect).

Personally I didn’t think it warranted any suspension. But that aside, what different answer do you expect from a club coach who’s asked if his player should have been suspended for much longer because a fellow journalist has an opinion...

It was bait. Pure bait. To “keep the story going”..

I’ll back the integrity of Craig Bellamy 1000 times more than I would a journalist with the only accountability of needing clicks and ratings to keep himself relevant and in a job.
I don't really have any opinion on the Kaufusi tackle, I haven't properly looked at it. But surely you can agree with Kent's broader point that the Storm are responsible for introducing and sustaining a toxic element of the game? Motivations for Kent's article aside, the wrestling tactics used by the Storm are harmful and problematic.

saint.nick

Coach
I don't agree with the Storm tactics but I do like how they don't take rubbish by the media.
Except they bring all of the media scrutiny upon themselves. Despite what they have you believe, there is no anti-Storm nor anti-Victorian conspiracy (which is such a Victorian thing to say). Since their inception, they have done almost nothing but bring negative attention to the game through their salary cap rorting and unethical tactics. If they want people to like them then all they need to do is make themselves likeable.

I don't really have any opinion on the Kaufusi tackle, I haven't properly looked at it. But surely you can agree with Kent's broader point that the Storm are responsible for introducing and sustaining a toxic element of the game? Motivations for Kent's article aside, the wrestling tactics used by the Storm are harmful and problematic.

Im not a fan of “wrestling”, but understand why it’s about. As a result of the wrestling they (the Storm) have dominated the ruck far more than they’ve ever been dominated. So effectively it works. And other clubs have followed. The vast majority of it has been safe without issue - apart from potentially affecting the spectacle. If my team aren’t dominating tackles and grounding a player on their back these days I’m annoyed..

The only real “move” I had a big problem with was “the rolling pin”... that was many years ago, where the tackler would roll his shin across the back of the calves in the tackle. Jeff Lima got done here for a bad one and was suspended from memory. It was the worst for mine. The chicken wing was also a bad one but it wasn’t in the game long term, in reality it was outlawed almost as quickly as it emerged. And rightly so.

Similarly where any “move” has been deemed dangerous it’s been outlawed rightly by the NRL. “Cannonball” is a good example, but by no means where the Storm the team that “introduced it”. The wingnut IMO was an absolute beat up.

I take your point and understand your view. I do believe that it’s not the storms intention to maliciously or recklessly harm or injure players. Sometimes tackles just go wrong... like a high tackle. And similarly in the “wrestle”.

As for Paul Kent’s comments... it wasn’t just a one off.. he was in a fit two nights in a row about the Kaufusi tackle, wouldn’t let it go. Basically setting it up for stretching the story further once the NRL review committee set the charge - so he could maintain the rage.. that’s my view anyway. Then the cherry was the question to Bellamy by another journo.

Paul Kent is a good journalist in my view and has been for a number of years. I don’t mind opinions and don’t always agree with him. That doesn’t bother me. But what does is the manner he carries on with - it’s like a spoilt child. Raising his voice, talking over the top of people, it’s absolutely child-like. And he does it all too often. In this instance, I see it as a deliberate, targeted campaign to stretch a story out.

I like reading most of his articles. I also really liked him on the MJ Podcast show. Id probably enjoy a beer with the bloke too. But on NRL360 and the rare times I’ve heard him on Radio - he turns into a loud, self-righteous, obnoxious brat all too often. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

I stopped watching it after the Kaufusi stuff, with the exception of last night when Lara Pitt hosted, breath of fresh air coz that show is getting staler and staler by the minute. It’s just 60 minutes of noise in recent times.

Anyway mate appreciate your view too. That’s mine for ya. Long-winded as it may be.

Up the Saints!!

Mark B

Juniors
No offence to me as I have all my teeth as do all the other Bunnies fans I know. Thing is , I've lived in the Parramatta area my whole life and have encountered quite a few Crapamatta fans who are dentally challenged. I'm sure you won't let reality get in the way of your pathetic attempt at humour though.
No offence meant mate. Never lived in Parra, but I am under no illusions the place would give parts of Waterloo a run for its money in missing teeth etc. Crappamatta! Now that’s a pathetic attempt at humour. But I can’t disagree with the title. When I was a kid we were winning comps left right and centre, then as history shows I went from 16 and just expecting the Eels to win comps to my early 50’s hoping and praying we win just one more before the lights go it.

saint.nick

Coach
Im not a fan of “wrestling”, but understand why it’s about. As a result of the wrestling they (the Storm) have dominated the ruck far more than they’ve ever been dominated. So effectively it works. And other clubs have followed. The vast majority of it has been safe without issue - apart from potentially affecting the spectacle. If my team aren’t dominating tackles and grounding a player on their back these days I’m annoyed..

The only real “move” I had a big problem with was “the rolling pin”... that was many years ago, where the tackler would roll his shin across the back of the calves in the tackle. Jeff Lima got done here for a bad one and was suspended from memory. It was the worst for mine. The chicken wing was also a bad one but it wasn’t in the game long term, in reality it was outlawed almost as quickly as it emerged. And rightly so.

Similarly where any “move” has been deemed dangerous it’s been outlawed rightly by the NRL. “Cannonball” is a good example, but by no means where the Storm the team that “introduced it”. The wingnut IMO was an absolute beat up.

I take your point and understand your view. I do believe that it’s not the storms intention to maliciously or recklessly harm or injure players. Sometimes tackles just go wrong... like a high tackle. And similarly in the “wrestle”.

As for Paul Kent’s comments... it wasn’t just a one off.. he was in a fit two nights in a row about the Kaufusi tackle, wouldn’t let it go. Basically setting it up for stretching the story further once the NRL review committee set the charge - so he could maintain the rage.. that’s my view anyway. Then the cherry was the question to Bellamy by another journo.

Paul Kent is a good journalist in my view and has been for a number of years. I don’t mind opinions and don’t always agree with him. That doesn’t bother me. But what does is the manner he carries on with - it’s like a spoilt child. Raising his voice, talking over the top of people, it’s absolutely child-like. And he does it all too often. In this instance, I see it as a deliberate, targeted campaign to stretch a story out.

I like reading most of his articles. I also really liked him on the MJ Podcast show. Id probably enjoy a beer with the bloke too. But on NRL360 and the rare times I’ve heard him on Radio - he turns into a loud, self-righteous, obnoxious brat all too often. Jekyll and Hyde stuff.

I stopped watching it after the Kaufusi stuff, with the exception of last night when Lara Pitt hosted, breath of fresh air coz that show is getting staler and staler by the minute. It’s just 60 minutes of noise in recent times.

Anyway mate appreciate your view too. That’s mine for ya. Long-winded as it may be.

Up the Saints!!
I do agree to an extent about his conduct. I have more of a problem with the way he and Buzz try to position themselves as big entities within the game, like they're people we're meant to be rooting for. But in terms of the conduct, I think a lot of it is contrived for entertainment and ratings. He'll have a shouting match with Buzz on 360 and then the pair of them will continue on as if nothing ever happened.

I do agree to an extent about his conduct. I have more of a problem with the way he and Buzz try to position themselves as big entities within the game, like they're people we're meant to be rooting for. But in terms of the conduct, I think a lot of it is contrived for entertainment and ratings. He'll have a shouting match with Buzz on 360 and then the pair of them will continue on as if nothing ever happened.

Much like WWE (or WWF to me, showing my age).

Jim Rockford

Bench
No offence meant mate. Never lived in Parra, but I am under no illusions the place would give parts of Waterloo a run for its money in missing teeth etc. Crappamatta! Now that’s a pathetic attempt at humour. But I can’t disagree with the title. When I was a kid we were winning comps left right and centre, then as history shows I went from 16 and just expecting the Eels to win comps to my early 50’s hoping and praying we win just one more before the lights go it.
It's cool. I just get a bit tired of the toothless jibes especially when I've encountered plenty of fans of other clubs who clearly never used a toothbrush in their lives. As for Crapamatta, I actually picked that up from some local Eels fans who are sick and tired of their team underperforming these last few decades.

Mark B

Juniors
It's cool. I just get a bit tired of the toothless jibes especially when I've encountered plenty of fans of other clubs who clearly never used a toothbrush in their lives. As for Crapamatta, I actually picked that up from some local Eels fans who are sick and tired of their team underperforming these last few decades.
All good brother. Cannot bag a man who has the user name of one of televisions greatest characters. RIP James Garner.

Latest posts