What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm Rorts Report

EelDredd

Juniors
A REPORT commissioned by the Storm's owner, News Ltd, on salary cap breaches at the NRL side claims the club was $3.2 million over the cap from 2006 to the end of this season.
The figure, provided to Rupert Murdoch's media company by the accountants Deloitte after an audit of the club's books, is almost double the $1.7 million News Ltd predicted the breaches amounted to when the scandal broke in April.
But the chairman of Storm, Rob Moodie, who was yesterday asked to resign by a senior News Ltd executive, has suggested the Deloitte inquiry "was set up to serve the best interests" of the club's owners.
Deloitte's findings predicted that the Storm would be $1.3 million over the cap next year unless it sold star players.
The Herald can reveal that the chief operating officer at News Ltd, Peter Macourt, phoned Dr Moodie yesterday and suggested he and the three other independent directors, Gerry Ryan, Peter Maher and Petra Fawcett, should stand down.
Mr Macourt said he was disappointed the directors had refused an offer of "mediation" and that of the independent board members only Ms Fawcett had agreed to be interviewed by Deloitte.
But last night Dr Moodie made it clear he and the other directors not employed by News Ltd - who are taking the NRL to court, claiming the league failed to follow due process when punishing the team for salary cap breaches - would not quit the club.
"We cannot resign even if we wanted to," he told the Herald. "The players, the staff, the supporters, the coach and the sponsors have begged us to take the action that we have. We have no choice but to stay.
"We are the only people who have the best interests of the Melbourne Storm at heart.''
Mr Macourt's call for the directors to resign represents an escalation in the increasingly bitter stoush that has set the club against its owner and the NRL.
It is believed Deloitte had sought to speak with about 40 people involved with the Victorian side but that more than half refused to meet the auditors. Many of those who declined interviews did so after the accounting firm refused to guarantee confidentiality.
News Ltd received Deloitte's report last week but it has not yet been seen by the independent directors. It is expected to be made public today or tomorrow.
A source close to the independent board members said they were looking forward to reading the report.
News Ltd would not comment last night.

TOM REILLY AND BRAD WALTER

July 14, 2010
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...oubled-20100713-109fi.html?rand=1279029764542

Chook Herron

Juniors
That's f*cked up. Are they still going to try to take the NRL to court over the punishment the NRL handed them now the cap breach is double what they initially thought?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Open fire.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/moodie-queries-integrity-of-probe-20100713-109fc.html

It matters little to me, the extent. The merkins systematically cheated clubs out of premierships. Those found guilty - players, agents, admin, whoever - of complicity, must be banished from the game forever.

That is all.

This cheating club knocked my team out of the finals in 06, 07 and 09. 07 and 09 we were great chances.

I have been waiting my entire life for my team to win a premiership and those chances may never happen again.

f**k the Melbourne Storm and everything you stand for.

stormbati

Bench
This cheating club knocked my team out of the finals in 06, 07 and 09. 07 and 09 we were great chances.

I have been waiting my entire life for my team to win a premiership and those chances may never happen again.

f**k the Melbourne Storm and everything you stand for.

Oh yes, because your club did such a great job with their other opportunities. Keep waiting :lol:

stormbati

Bench
Funny how the most important thing to News was that the four independent directors step down.
Almost sounds like they were trying to dish out dirt on them more than anyone else.

beads6

First Grade
No way the storm will keep the big 4 IMO, they are dreaming and being silly. They won't be competitive if they drop all 10 players they are suggesting. We can't kick them out of the comp, it wasn't the club that made the mess it was a bunch of clowns who were running the club at the time.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
$3.2 mill ?

thats almost the entire cap, so next year they all play for next to nuthin', yet they are gonna keep the big 4 without renegotiating any contracts ?

pull the other one

stormbati

Bench
3.2 over 4 years if I read that right. It just doesn't make sense to me. What, were players getting overs in 2006? Is so, who?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
from what I have read, what ever they are over by going into next season, comes out of next seasons salary cap

they'll be lucky to afford a reserve grade team but saying they are gonna hang onto the big 4 without renegotiation (which is not allowed by the NRL) is just fantasy

unless there is something I'm missing

Evenflow

Bench
$3.2 mill ?

thats almost the entire cap, so next year they all play for next to nuthin', yet they are gonna keep the big 4 without renegotiating any contracts ?

pull the other one

Errr no, that's a total of $3.2 mill over for the past 4 years. They believe they'd have been $1.3 mill over next year which is the total they'll have to shed to get under the cap. Given the new concessions coming in for all clubs next year in regards to 3rd party payments and doubling of the marquee player allowance that total will probably go down to $1 mill or a bit less which will make it more viable to keep the big 4 should they choose to.

petetheileet

First Grade
So who were these salary cap concessions implemented designed for i wonder????

All the sh*t that has carried on and they are still getting a helping hand!!!!

I am so f**king furious!!