What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Storm still think they are 2007 and 2009 Premiers

Tooooks

Bench
From the Tele:
THE record books might not agree, but Storm coach Craig Bellamy says the salary cap rorted premierships of 2007 and 2009 still belong to Melbourne. Bellamy, Dally M coach of the year for 2011, made the claim at last night's awards function in Sydney - a function dominated by Storm players, who took home six awards.
"The people at our club, whether right or wrong, we believe that we won those premierships and we will always think that way," Bellamy said while accepting his gong.
"We know how hard we worked throughout those years."

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-belong-to-storm/story-e6frfgfx-1226131462888
==============================================
On one hand, I can understand them wanting to hold on to those premierships (I'm sure they worked as hard as any other club) and it must be hard for them to accept they are the biggest cheats in history and their wins, in reality, mean nothing, but...

In my opinion, those premierships should've been awarded to Manly and Parra. I know it would be a fairly empty victory, but the alternative punishes Manly and the Eels as much as it does the Storm. As it happens, those years are blank pages in the record books. Look at the Olympic games. The cheats who are caught (think Ben Johnson) are stripped of the gold, which is then awarded to the runner up.

In light of the Storm's incomprehensible arrogance, the NRL should send a clear message by awarding those premierships to the two last non-cheating teams standing in 2007 and 2009 (who have more right to claim those premierships than the cheats).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gordy

Juniors
From the Tele:
THE record books might not agree, but Storm coach Craig Bellamy says the salary cap rorted premierships of 2007 and 2009 still belong to Melbourne. Bellamy, Dally M coach of the year for 2011, made the claim at last night's awards function in Sydney - a function dominated by Storm players, who took home six awards.
"The people at our club, whether right or wrong, we believe that we won those premierships and we will always think that way," Bellamy said while accepting his gong.
"We know how hard we worked throughout those years."

==============================================
On one hand, I can understand them wanting to hold on to those premierships (I'm sure they worked as hard as any other club) and it must be hard for them to accept they are the biggest cheats in history and their wins, in reality, mean nothing, but...

In my opinion, those premierships should've been awarded to Manly and Parra. I know it would be a fairly empty victory, but the alternative punishes Manly and the Eels as much as it does the Storm. As it happens, those years are blank pages in the record books. Look at the Olympic games. The cheats who are caught (think Ben Johnson) are stripped of the gold, which is then awarded to the runner up.

In light of the Storm's incomprehensible arrogance, the NRL should send a clear message by awarding those premierships to the two last non-cheating teams standing in 2007 and 2009 (who have more right to claim those premierships than the cheats).

Hear hear.

Daneel

Bench
I was involved with a footy team that lost a grandfinal and as expected we were gutted. When they announced the player of the match we all had a laugh as we knew he hadn't played. Turns out the other team had a ring in play under this blokes name. A couple of months later we got a phone call saying they had been stripped of the grand final win and it had been handed to us. Still feels like we lost it even though the record books say different.
However it annoys the sh*t out of me that these melbourne people continually talk about the hard work they put in but never mention they were breaking the rules.
I have no doubt that athletes who use banned substances still put in a lot of hard work. So by Craig's theory even if they are stripped of an olympic gold medal they should still feel like winners?

Fair enough, us and Manly didn't 'win' them but really, what part of CHEATING don't they understand? They are lucky they were not kicked out of the comp all together.

Fair enough, us and Manly didn't 'win' them but really, what part of CHEATING don't they understand? They are lucky they were not kicked out of the comp all together.

i remember going around and around in circles arguing this point with some of the more single chromosome parts of the storm fanbase when the story broke i dont know what part of "your team was worth a million dollars more than ours" seems to confuse people

oldmancraigy

Coach
Hand back your ill-gotten rings you cheating merkins!

Still can't believe they were allowed to keep them.

That's nothing.

The WORST part is that they weren't really penalized for the cheating. Like Bellamy says, they can still pretend they won the premierships; heck they still got the victory lap on Grand Final day.
Then they got to keep the players they brought down to Victoria through illegal money.
Then they got to pay their top players LESS than the illegal amounts they wre being paid.

All told, they just had to ditch 1 player whom they might have wanted to keep. Oh dear, how harsh...

Sure, Bellamy has a good coaching system, but only a halfwit would think their team this year is "fairly assembled".

Bunch of cheats.

Rocket

Juniors
I thought it was rather ironic the pre match entertainment for the recent Storm/Dragon's match at AAMI was an AC/DC tribute band and the first song they played was "Dirty Deeds".

Very fitting and it didn't take long for Dragons fans to start singing "Dirty deeds, the Storm are cheats".

spiderdan

Bench
the thing is that they celebrated those wins and their fans celebrated those wins. despite last year and a footnote in the record books you can't take that away from them.

in hindsight, the way penalties were applied by the nrl were probably wrong. looking at it now i think they should have left the wins the way they are but over the course of four or five years the storm should have started the season on negative points like the warriors were made to in 2006 (say an average of however many games they won over that rorting period spread). same thing with the salary cap. whatever average % they were over for that five year period they should be made to pay that % below whatever the cap is per year (% to cater for if the cap changes).

the problem is that the three times this has happened (storm, dogs and warriors) the nrl has been very reactional instead of setting concrete rules for severe salary cap breaches to stop it actually happening.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
God they'ere arrogant merkins.

Basically, they are saying that other teams don't work hard.

How insulting is that to guys like Hindy and Caylo??

f**king pricks, them winning this year would just solidify this belief they have.

I sooooo hope they don't even make the GF.

Gronk

Staff member
Why doesn't these journos have the balls to stand up to the coach and his 3 amigos and tell them that they achieved success in previous years because they were cheating !

Tooooks

Bench
Why doesn't these journos have the balls to stand up to the coach and his 3 amigos and tell them that they achieved success in previous years because they were cheating !

It's cringeworthy how the pathetic commentators/journos completely ignore the issue of cheating. Brown-nosed sycophants who are afraid to insult Bellamy et al.

When the Storm were close to being under the cap (when Smith missed the GF), look what happened to them...

Avenger

Immortal
It's cringeworthy how the pathetic commentators/journos completely ignore the issue of cheating. Brown-nosed sycophants who are afraid to insult Bellamy et al.

When the Storm were close to being under the cap (when Smith missed the GF), look what happened to them...

Very good point

Latest posts