What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Strong Rumour

AliN

Live Update Team
the way things are going for SBW, we'd have to release the whole squad just to pay his worth!

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
playdaball said:
Does this free up cash for Matt Rua?
I Don't really see the point in releasing a reliable and proven second row workhorse just to pay for another second rower who hasn't played for a couple of seasons. Wouldn't you rather get a player in another position where we might need the cattle more?

Hulk Hogan

Juniors
It said on the radio sport I heard an hour or so ago, that the split wasnt amicable and that the Warriors had put a 3 year contract from Bradford to him which he rejected.
Sounds like they really wanted to get rid of him.

carlnz

Bench
Warriors mangment still f**ked.......get rid of one of your best players last year and international...cant wait till we get all these injuries and they have knowone to call up....

And when vinnie can cover both forwards and backs.....

From radiosport

Anderson puzzled and disappointed

Centre Vinnie Anderson is leaving the Warriors, but it is not an amicable split.

The club is suggesting Anderson requested a release from his contract, but his agent Jim Banaghan says the Warriors told him he was no longer required.

Banaghan says Warriors bosses even fronted up with a three year contract with Bradford in the UK Super League to entice the centre to leave.

But he has since landed another contract with the London Broncos.

Banaghan says the Bradford offer came through two weeks ago, while the Broncos offer came at the weekend, and now Anderson is preparing to leave on Wednesday.

Banaghan says Anderson will consider coming back to the Warriors one day, but he says certain changes would have to take place before he does.

He says Vinnie is disappointed his fate has been taken out of his own hands.

He says it has come as a shock to the player, who did not want to leave the club, but he is taking it in his stride.

Banaghan says Anderson is not the type of person not to have bad blood, even though he is disappointed.

He is bemused by the fact that the Warriors are insisting Anderson requested a release from his contract when he did not.

Banaghan says Anderson wanted to head overseas after this season because he was looking forward to being a Warrior this year and playing along side Steve Price and Ruben Wiki.

He says he will now be joining former Warriors Thomas Leuluai and Mark Tookey at the London Broncos.

I cant get over it. THEY approached a club not Vinnie

carlnz

Bench
I mean they made a press release saying he is not playing because he is sick?? So they were lying to us, why didnt they let him go to Manly last year then?? Or is this just the Warriors crying and not letting a play go in the NRL??

NZ Warrior

First Grade
It is unfortunate that Vinnie has to go, I really feel for him. He didn't want to go by the sounds of the interview. But I feel, in the end, that it'll be the best move for him.

It seems I am the sole provider of Management's point of view around here. You have to think about this guys. Vinnie is now an international, he hasn't established himself in a definite position (this shouldn't really go against him because he does have good utility value). The Warriors have a wealth of Back row options and their Centre stocks are healthy too. It is just bad business sense to have a guy on a good salary, running around in the Bartercard Cup for most of the season.

It's sad that all of Vinnie's good qualities should count against him, but barring a major injury crisis at the club, he wouldn't have got much of a run anyway. I wish him the best of luck with the London Broncos.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
carlnz said:
I mean they made a press release saying he is not playing because he is sick?? So they were lying to us, why didnt they let him go to Manly last year then?? Or is this just the Warriors crying and not letting a play go in the NRL??

It's all cloak & dagger with the Warriors and the press, you should know this by now.

And just on Anderson not being allowed to go to Manly. Why should your loss be your enemy's gain?

Iafeta

Referee
Spineless again. This club does things that just utterly shock you. The worst thing about it is this, Vinnie Anderson was last year one of our best performed players - he's no superstar, but he'll make you 35 tackles a game where others will flake out. He'll get in and work it out of dummy half at the 60 minute mark, whereas others are struggling to get onside. The other thing, is his brother - this kid is something special, and we've basically sent a family orientated rocket up his ar$3 - hey, we can treat your brother badly so quite frankly we don't give a rats ar$e where you go.

From last year, I could think of certain individuals that I would not want elsewhere - Te Mata, not a talented player but he busted his gut through bad times for this club, Koopu, likewise with a bit more talent, Paleaaesina because he attempted to take making metres on his own bat, Latu because despite having a poor off season his contribution was immeasurable, the little failures he had he had worked on damn hard, Louis Anderson, seriously brilliant contribution from a young kid, and Vinnie Anderson for being tireless and brutal at times, Betham and Ropati also deserve mention though in more limited capacities. You can have your Jones', your Villasanti's, your Webb's, your Toopi's, your Hohaia's, your Guttenbeils -without those blokes who put in week in week out in god damn awful club situations, we'd have not only got the spoon but been odds on again for it.

To cover for Price, Fein, Byrne and Wiki we've lost:

* Ali Lauitiiti
* Vinnie Anderson - NZ International
* Thomas Leuluai - NZ International
* Mark Tookey
* Jerry Seu Seu - NZ International
* PJ Marsh - Queensland Origin Rep
* Matt Jobson
* Vince Mellars - Junior Kiwi
* Danny Sullivan - Junior Roo
* Marcus Perenara - Junior Kiwi
* Justin Murphy
* Henry Fa'afili - NZ International
* Herewini Rangi
* Kane Ferris

Now, lets now forget that the only additions to our squad were Matt Jobson and Danny Sullivan, so you can include in that count the players that left the previous year

* Logan Swann -NZ International
* John Carlaw
* Motu Tony - NZ International

It looks to me as though we're seriously beginning to lack quality depth in our outside backs. This year, we are going to blood an enormous amount of youngsters to cover injuries and loss of form, whether we like it or not, Vuna and Vatuvei are going to have to play serious roles throughout the year, and possibly if we make it at the crunch time.

The club has tried to sell that Price and Wiki aren't on huge overs, $350,000 each. Byrne and Fein maybe $80K each I might guess. $860,000. There's more than $860,000 of talent gone - either they're playing under a reduced cap in a bold ambitious attempt to snare Sonny Bill Williams, or Price and Wiki were on astoundingly more money than mentioned. I'm talking truckloads more. Its the only logical way it can work.

Very, very disappointing Warriors.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
* Ali Lauitiiti - (too much money, will be missed)
* Vinnie Anderson - (will be missed)
* Thomas Leuluai - (nothing special)
* Mark Tookey (dead wood)
* Jerry Seu Seu - (nothing special)
* PJ Marsh - (Liability, no certain return, will be missed)
* Matt Jobson - (dead wood)
* Vince Mellars - (attitude problem, nothing special)
* Danny Sullivan - (Liability, dead wood)
* Marcus Perenara - (unproven)
* Justin Murphy - (DEAD WOOD)
* Henry Fa'afili - (nothing special)
* Herewini Rangi (unproven)
* Kane Ferris (unproven)
* Logan Swann - (getting on, nothing special)
* John Carlaw (getting on)
* Motu Tony - (attitude problem, erratic)

:cry: :cry: :cry: 3 players I'll cry over losing and a whole bunch of players I'll get over losing. 2 of those players cost too much and would probably have prevented us from buying either Wiki or Price. And 1 of those players may not return to his best.

Come on Iafeta. There was a lot of dead wood that was culled from the club and they are better off for it.

Iafeta

Referee
Opinions are highly valued - I can't overly disagree with yours, but this is how I judge that list of players. Perenara is an exceptional junior, Mellars is a good young player, Rangi was one of the hardest workers in Bartercard, Vinnie Anderson was one of our best toilers, Fa'afili did a reasonable job, Marsh was always odds on to make a comeback and possibly seal up a weak area of ours at #6, Lauitiiti was at his peak one of the best backrowers in the world and he was only what 24 when cut so still had plenty of time on his side, Swann was the best forward the year that he got cut, Carlaw offered good depth and experience, something we obviously lacked last year.

Its all well and good, but you have to think of it also this way regardless of their ability - Lautiiti had a valid contract, as did PJ Marsh, as did Vince Mellars, as did Vince Anderson, as did Henry Fa'afili, as did Matt Jobson, as did Marcus Perenara, as did Thomas Leuluai. Regardless of their ability, point taken its a very moot point, thats an AWFUL lot of players to cut short of their contracts coming to a close. Fair enough 2-3, thats EIGHT players. Thats eight players either who were p!ssed off with the joint, or who were punted. Thats got to lead to a lot of distrust, disunity etc. You can't have that sort of them v us, players v management tension at any workplace. Most of us have been through similar joints where there's been sacrilidge lay-offs or basically management are blood hungry hounds who have no concept of reality. And some of us have been to profitable, well organised joints where management are open minded and trustworthy. I used to consider the Warriors to be just that, things were profitable, the group was happy and working together, now they're having to make cuts here there and everywhere so no-one truly deep down trusts the club or has that much loyalty. Most would love to stay, but fairs fair, some of the young guys if they get offers elsewhere are going to go purely because of how insecure the Warriors are, and how tardy they are with contract maintenance.

Then you end up with good kids being elsewhere, and the rest that are staying not believing in the fibre of what should be the club.

A year and a half ago, if I was a young player, there'd be no question where I'd want to play. None whatsoever. Now, if I were a talented young player, and there was an offer from the Warriors, and someone elsewhere, the other club wouldn't have to be too far ahead for me to go there. You also need job security and to be able to trust your superiors and think they have yours and the clubs best interests at heart.

ozbash

Referee
To cover for Price, Fein, Byrne and Wiki we've lost:
it remains to be seen whether the purchase of price and wiki will turn our form around,, after todays news the doubts are returning as to wether our poor showing last year was a player thing or not..

a lot of the dead wood and other notables took us to a grand final just a couple of years ago and as well we lost the main reason we got to telstra stadium,, the coach !

i,ll miss vinnie, for me he was in the logan swann mold but not quite as good, i hope like hell his bro dont follow because that kid is potentially a star.

makes you wonder if eric watson isnt stocking up the london broncs ready for the takeover,, few good kiwis in there now ( and tooks)

carlnz

Bench
I hope his brother gets out while he can before he gets dumped on...Like Vinnie said on the news the Warriors were pissed off coe he went with the Kiwis and that he would never turn that jumper down...they guy was outstanding on and off the field....

Just proves its the managment causing all the problems...and Like Vinnie said...I would love to come back to the club, but not under this managment!

I ahve a bad feeling we are going to suck this season again untill we get rid of some of the "Dead wood" in managment

playdaball

Bench
I heard the radio sport advert and it appears that there are shades of Ali all over again:

- Vinnie being honest and explaining that he'd like to play in the UK next year as he is getting older
- The Warriors show him the door thinking that he is no longer loyal
- Mick Watson offers him a Bradford Bulls contract and asks VA not to tell his agent - is MW suddenly a players agent??
- VA given a release but only to a SL club not NRL

To be fair he is replaceable but the ethics of the club seem strange.
(sure we have only heard one side)

freeridermx

Juniors
say bye bye to little brother too, one would think as they are spose to be very close . warriors management on fire as always . one of the best performed player last year and for a few years now.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
I refuse to believe that a business such as the Warriors would be poorly run, mainly due to the fact that Business Magnate Eric Watson owns them. It's as simple as that.

And did it ever dawn on people that we had a real bad year, last season. Maybe we are still feeling the brunt of that. Or like we have seen with the coupe signings of both Price and Wiki, maybe management are freeing up funds for the next big thing.

Iafeta, I totally get what you are saying. But I believe those things happened for a reason. In my opinion, PJ could have been treated a lot worse by the Warriors. Look at what the Wests Tigers did to Jarrod "I'll sue you" McCracken. He had to fight with the club just to get some money out of them.

I think it is no coincidence that the club got rid of 2 highly paid players the same year we brought 2 high profile players. We weren't getting any use out of PJ and we weren't getting the effort out of Ali for what we were paying him. Sacrifices have to be made unfortunately.

Ozbash, I don't think the dead wood got us to the Grand Final at all. I think the team dynamic got us there. Sure, I'd prefer if some players weren't playing the GF. But I believe that the team had just the right mix with some wise heads in key positions. I think we are getting close to that mix back this season, I'm very excited.

Latest posts