What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stronglifts???????

IFR33K

Coach
Being doing a bit of reading in this section of the forums, since I started lifting again in November.

The last time I used weights, was back in 2000. I used the 'standard' back/biceps, chest/triceps, shoulders/traps and legs work out, before switching to (and currently using) chest/bi's, back/tri's shoulder/hammies and quads/calves.

Im a 'natural' lifter, and without sounding cocky I have made very good gains, through consistency.
Even when I had given the weights away, it still looked as though I occasionally visit the gym because of my active lifestyle.

I keep hearing about this stronglifts stuff, not really knowing what it is. I visit a very good gym in the Bankstown area, and have asked a few people there, and they havent heard of it.

My questions are to people who have actually used this program, successfully or not.

Does this program work for everybody????? Or should i keep plotting along with my own workout, as I believe I am still gaining strength and muscle????
Is it a continual program, or just a 8 week workout???
Are gains muscular or strength????
Is it worth doing?????
What does the program consist of?????

Thank in advance

Last edited:

abpanther

Staff member
Pretty much that, I've been doing it since January now, not much weight gain but that's because I've actually been eating to not put on too much weight.

Definitely made big gains in the core lifts, it does get tough though, particularly doing heavy squats 3 times a week so i think you get to a point where you tweak it a little.

Have you been doing these exercises as part of your regular work outs?

Canucks

Juniors
I did this 5x5 program seriously for about 3 months a few years back

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Basic program was
1. Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5
2. Squat 5x5, Press 5x5, Dead 1x5

Go to gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday and alternated between 1 and 2.
Add the tiny 1.25kg weights each time you go

Put on close to 10kg. Decided to change up the routine instead of buying new trousers

Hey I was doing this program and put on about 6kg in 4 months. I got sick after a while and then went overseas but have got back into it for the last 2 weeks.

There is an app for it you can download for your iphone too, better than filling out the form every time you go.

Last time I did it I think 5 of the 6 kilos was in my legs and my back. I grew out of my office pants and jeans real quick, but its great because you dont have to watch your food that much, ie I just had a triple bondi burger meal and will sit on my a$$ the rest of the day in the office.

I don't see any negatives to this program, and I am really focussed this time, especially using the app, and hope to get to body weight in all the categories.... (I'm a weak fk)

Stick with it, it definately worked for me before and already after 2 weeks back can see results again. Just make sure you get the technique right and get low enough on the squats, otherwise you'll develop only the front of your legs and put pressure on your knees.

My mate has been doing this for a year now and he is posting some big big numbers, just by eating, no roids

Canucks

Juniors
I did this 5x5 program seriously for about 3 months a few years back

http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-beginner-strength-training-program/

Basic program was
1. Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5
2. Squat 5x5, Press 5x5, Dead 1x5

Go to gym Monday, Wednesday, Friday and alternated between 1 and 2.
Add the tiny 1.25kg weights each time you go

Put on close to 10kg. Decided to change up the routine instead of buying new trousers

Dont forget on part 1.

1. Squat 5x5, Bench 5x5, Overhead Lift 5x5

T.T

Juniors
there's a couple versions of this

i do the
mon squat 5x5, bench 5x5, row 5x5
wed squat (lighter weight) 4x5, OHP 4x5, Deadlift 4x5
friday 4x5 and 1x3 squat bench and row

i add in a few isolation exercises too

Ive read this program and was about to start it.

My gym doesnt have a squat rack , only machine so it makes it hard getting any decent weight on the bar.

I did crossfit for 3-4 months before I injured myself but I had improved my strength. I was lifting some good weights but more importantly I learned the correct lifting techniques.

My financial situation has changed therefore i wont be going back to crossfit but Im keen on the Stronglift program.

Im not looking to put weight on , the opposite ( 30kg to lose ) so I was thinking adding cardio days inbetween the lifting days

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Bit hard to ohp what I squat. Without a squat rack its likely one will outgrow what they can press pretty quickly.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Well yeah, you'll never be able to squat more than your 1rm for OHP, that's why it's limiting, last time I did Stronglifts I only did it for less than two months so it didn't present much of a problem. This time I plan on doing it until I can bench double my BW so I will probably buy a squat rack.

Joker's Wild

Coach
The answers on the Stronglift website.

http://stronglifts.com/squat-no-power-rack-steinborn-lift/

I have a home gym and no squat rack, always just do an ohp and then bring it down to my shoulders. It's a bit limiting, but meh.

That Steinborn lift is f**king crazy. I cant believe they even suggested that as an alternative, it looks plenty dangerous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qls96q4Phs4

I converted my smith machine into a squat rack by removing the rails and adding in some platforms held in place by heavy duty carabiners. Ive had 170 kgs on it with no problems

293860_10150622931042671_1258288238_n.jpg

T.T

Juniors
that steinborn lift is the most geniused thing i have ever seen. dangerous as f**k. you would get kicked out of every single gym if you did that

Cliffhanger

Coach
So I feel like a genius today. I decided to put the bar up on my power tower, the part you hold onto when you're doing dips.

I figure the power tower is supposed be able to handle pretty heavy people so it should be able to handle what ever I squat for the time being. Pretty much the right height too.

Last edited:

Cliffhanger

Coach
I bought my power tower for 160 in 2010. Because I do hanging leg raisers now before today I was only using it for dips (I already have a better pull up bar). So I am glad I found a new use for it. I've been looking up power racks and they're f**king expensive. I will try and convince my dad the home gym needs one so I don't have to pay for one.

Latest posts