What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suck eggs Smith

brissiedragon

Juniors
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith has blasted the two referee system that will operate in the NRL this season, declaring it would do more harm than good.

Smith has played two pre-season matches with two whistle-blowers and said it hadn't achieved the NRL's aim of making the game faster.

Instead he said there were more penalties, the game was becoming stop-start and fans would not be happy with the product the new system was producing.

"I don't like to be negative when people try and implement things in our game maybe to try and make it better, but so far in the two games I have played, I haven't seen a single positive come out of having two refs on the field," Smith said.

"I think it is (a concern) for the game. I know there is a lot of people throwing their support behind it, but in the trials that we have played it has become a totally different game.

"They said the two referees would make the game faster and more enjoyable for the fans. But at the moment we are seeing penalty after penalty. It's a stop-start game now where rugby league is meant to be free-flowing.

"Six weeks in to the competition I don't think fans are going to enjoy watching for the first half-hour of the game 15 penalties being blown."

The system has raised the eyebrows of many coaches this pre-season, including Storm's Craig Bellamy and Gold Coast's John Cartwright, who also noticed increased penalty counts.

Statistics back up their concerns, with an average two more penalties a match than in last season's trial games.

Suck sh*t Smith. Cant cheat anymore with the extra scrutiny. Maybe you should consider that you bunch of cheating bastards have had your day and that you may need to start playing by the rules.

watatank

Coach
There are gonig to be more penalties blown but that's always going to be part of the transition process. No one is going to notice or care about it after a while. If it's going to get rid of the grapple tackle I am all for it

RufusRex

Post Whore
"They said the two referees would make the game faster and more enjoyable for the fans. But at the moment we are seeing penalty after penalty. It's a stop-start game now where rugby league is meant to be free-flowing.

Well .. dont infringe and you wont get penalised ... Seems obvious. As soon as the players realise that the extra scrutiny is there to stop the illegal tactics they might actually stop the illegal tactics and the goal of 2 refs could be realised.

You can tell right away the teams who will hate/like it ... Hate = manly, melbourne, sharks ... Like = tigers, titans, cowboys ...

11Straight

Juniors
Melbourne Storm captain Cameron Smith has blasted the two referee system that will operate in the NRL this season, declaring it would do more harm than good.

Smith has played two pre-season matches with two whistle-blowers and said it hadn't achieved the NRL's aim of making the game faster.

Instead he said there were more penalties, the game was becoming stop-start and fans would not be happy with the product the new system was producing.

"I don't like to be negative when people try and implement things in our game maybe to try and make it better, but so far in the two games I have played, I haven't seen a single positive come out of having two refs on the field," Smith said.

"I think it is (a concern) for the game. I know there is a lot of people throwing their support behind it, but in the trials that we have played it has become a totally different game.

"Six weeks in to the competition I don't think fans are going to enjoy watching for the first half-hour of the game 15 penalties being blown."

The system has raised the eyebrows of many coaches this pre-season, including Storm's Craig Bellamy and Gold Coast's John Cartwright, who also noticed increased penalty counts.

Statistics back up their concerns, with an average two more penalties a match than in last season's trial games.

Suck sh*t Smith. Cant cheat anymore with the extra scrutiny. Maybe you should consider that you bunch of cheating bastards have had your day and that you may need to start playing by the rules.
:lol::lol::lol: I knew it wouldn't take long for these grappling bastards to complain.

Suck it up you mexican bitches.

I read this article this morning and couldn't believe Smith would open himself (and Melbourne) like this.

What a tool, it is so obvious.

Don't infringe and you won't get penalized.

Maybe Waldron can sue the 2nd Ref for...ummm...something...anything...

rushndude

Bench
Yeah seems like a bit of a silly move on Smith's behalf, exposing themselves like this. This is really the exact reason for the two refs, to stamp out the stupid stuff. It might take a few rounds into the competition, but hopefully by mid season the grapples, chicken wings and what not will be eliminated and the play will be faster.

brissiedragon

Juniors
Just a few links to prove that the Storm are always blameless (according to them), that it is every body else (according to them) and that they would never do anything wrong!
If it keeps the bastards honest then maybe we should look at three refs!
I'm sick and tired of seeing these mongrels always trying to gain whatever advantage they can by exploiting whatever rules or methods they can.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22488489-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24352379-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23475053-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22429324-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,23488162-23214,00.html?from=public_rss

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22240318-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24427533-23214,00.html

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24071870-23214,00.html

drake

First Grade
Considering the playing roster they have, you'd think Melbourne could do OK by playing Rugby League.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade

players will adapt and less penaltys will be given away if a few weeks time.
bad luck smith

Jason Maher

Immortal
Anyone else notice Smith's use of the word "product"? Yet another reminder Superjoke won the war of the mid 90s. I wonder will we ever again have people running our game who don't view it as a bloody "product" to be flogged for television and merchandising money? You know it's endemic when they've got the players following the script.

xofstgeorge

Juniors
oh how i love it when the predator becomes the victim...
Smith- Are u worried that your teams tactics of slowing every play the ball down, and potentially injuring someone has come to a screeching halt?
You are a blight on our game, and if you were skillful enough i would be quite happy to see you f**k off to union. Your time is up storm! You bunch of malnutritioned inbred c0cksmokers!

Jasdragon

Juniors

Well .. dont infringe and you wont get penalised ... Seems obvious. As soon as the players realise that the extra scrutiny is there to stop the illegal tactics they might actually stop the illegal tactics and the goal of 2 refs could be realised.

You can tell right away the teams who will hate/like it ... Hate = manly, melbourne, sharks ... Like = tigers, titans, cowboys ...

Very true! f**k you smith and the cheating storm!

NQDragon

Juniors
I think Melbourne are in for a big fall this year. Everybody still wants to beat them so they have no easy games, depth is a worry and how they react to getting flogged in the GF is a big question.