What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestions on getting rid of Wasps Nests.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Witty & Big Mick, i know this have nought to do with Panthers but many here are my friends, so i hope you will leave it here.

I have 3 fairly big wasps nest, my house is 2 storey, and they have made nests in the corner of my upstairs toilet window, on a exposed pipe coming from the bathroom upstairs and in the top left hand corner under the eaves. I think there maybe another nest in the gutter of the bullnose verandah.

Would anyone know of a simple and cheap way to exterminate them?

*Sandy*

First Grade
So do I! And having 3 that i can see clearly and thinking i might have a fourth there is a damn army of them out the back...my siesta's in the sun on my hammock are becoming less and less with my cringing that they may land on me. :D

PK said:
Witty & Big Mick, i know this have nought to do with Panthers but many here are my friends, so i hope you will leave it here.

I have 3 fairly big wasps nest, my house is 2 storey, and they have made nests in the corner of my upstairs toilet window, on a exposed pipe coming from the bathroom upstairs and in the top left hand corner under the eaves. I think there maybe another nest in the gutter of the bullnose verandah.

Would anyone know of a simple and cheap way to exterminate them?

The best way is to burn the nests. Using either a butane or something like that. I have seen it done with an aerosol can and a lighter but it isn't the safest way.

G

gorilla

I presume your talking about European wasps. These have a distinctive yellow and black banding on their rear.
I love killing these guys, they are the ganstas of the insect world. :twisted:
Be careful as they sting repeatedly and they get cranky quite quickly and they tend to scout around to see what’s causing them grief if you attack them. They can be found inside soft drink and other cans, etc seeking sugars. :oops:
So, the simplest way is to clear the area of pets and people, and by the sound of it keep windows closed after you zap them.
Wait until before dusk, rather than middle of day when they may be away from the nest. Use a reputable and powerful surface spray insecticide and just before you run and hid, spray the nest as liberally as possible, really thick and into the holes as best as possible. :roll:
You can expect them to come charging out – that’s why you run and hide. :shock:
Keep repeating the exercise each day until gone.
If possible squash them as they fall out and hit the ground.
They are tough buggers, we used to get them around the dog food and you could spray one and it would shake itself and kind of look around. I would often need to spray them twice or more then squash them. Having done that I would wait and almost telepathically others would appear to check out the problem – these had to be spray and stomped as well.
You could also inform you’re local council and wait about 1 month for someone to turn up and insecticide them for you. :x

Gorilla

*Sandy*

First Grade
Oh cool. Think i might wait the month? :D But then we are talking about Gosford Council here, so it could be 6 months. :shock:

But definately I will try out the council 1st and see if they will do something about it for us...otherwise it's me and the surface spray hanging out the windows! :shock:

lainey

Juniors
Mum used to spray them at dusk, that's when they are away from the nest. Spray quite liberally then if you can knock it down and jump on it. Then dispose of it either in the bin, in a bag of course or if you can burn it.

Fibroman

First Grade
Martin Bryant had a novel way of getting rid of wasps in Port Arthur a few years ago. I don't think you need a high powered rifle for your wasps Sandi.

mightypanther

Juniors
Poor PK,

I had wasps once, and it's not pleasant that's for sure.

I was lucky as my hubby did the deed for me, while I stayed in the safety
of my house with all the closed doors and windows. :D

He did the burning trick, but it was back in the days when you could have a
back yard incinerator, and he poked a stick through the nest and dropped it
into the burning flames, and then ran very fast into the house.

Surprised me how fast he could run actually. :mrgreen:

*Sandy*

First Grade
fibro man said:
Martin Bryant had a novel way of getting rid of wasps in Port Arthur a few years ago. I don't think you need a high powered rifle for your wasps Sandi.

Yes i do! :D 2 story house, 3 or possibly 4 nests, all way above my head and shoulders and no ladders....the high powered rifle sounds excellent! :lol:

Lainey re: the above to Fibro. I cannot do this on my own. I have no ladders to get me level. I would have to climb onto the toilet and hang 1/2 an arm to get the one at the toilet. I would have to somehow overcome the bath to literally hang out of the bathroom window to get to the one on the downpipe. And i would need to have rock climbing skills to navigate myself up the left hand corner of my house to get to the one under the eave. :lol:

lainey

Juniors
I think maybe you should just ring the council then chick. It's probably the easiest way.

NonaFiona

Juniors
PK said:
I would have to climb onto the toilet and hang 1/2 an arm to get the one at the toilet. I would have to somehow overcome the bath to literally hang out of the bathroom window to get to the one on the downpipe. And i would need to have rock climbing skills to navigate myself up the left hand corner of my house to get to the one under the eave. :lol:

If you do do it yourself, make sure you have someone handy with a vidcam. The prize money from Funny Home Videos *might* cover your medical expenses. :)