What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

Draginzaaar

Bench
I wonder if the Gus Gould suggestion for a summer competition for those many players not able to play any footy is getting any legs from the NRL and the Commissioner.

I think teams in zones should play a couple against each other and the best two go into play the best two in another zone and so on to make it competitive rather than just having a run for the sake of it.
Abdo likes it, so it might happen.

Maddragon99

Juniors
To date I think Hook has refrained from throwing in Sullivan/Amone and Sloan together because:

1. Our forwards have been dominated in virtually every game this year, barring the Parra and Newcastle game

2. The juniors are still transitioning to playing against men.

3. They would be better protected when Molo, Sua and Burgess arrive as we will not be constantly attempting to run the ball back from our 10 metre line.

4. They would benefit immensely from a full pre-season of training to build their bodies up to NRL level.

They undoubtedly have the talent and together with the Fegai’s have played premiership winning football.

The boys may be better served being given the opportunity of a fresh start after the train wreck of a season 2021 has proven to be.

As Wayne Bennett has often said, “when you listen to the supporters and follow what they want, you end up sitting in the stands with them.

Please note I would play them all against the Roosters, which just goes to show I am a supporter of the club, not an NRL standard coach.
There’s a fair legitimate argument to keep the kids back but the problem is that the players who keep getting picked are useless. I’m thinking Norman & Beale primarily.

In my opinion Sloan has looked pretty comfortable in the 2 games he’s played. I don’t see any harm in giving him the 1 jersey for the last 3 games. Jack Bird obviously isn’t the long term fullback so what’s the harm?

Gerald Beale often looks disinterested & is a turnstile in defence. The try he let in against Penrith was pretty pathetic. With Sloan at fullback Jack Bird is the obvious replacement.

Less said about Corey Norman the better. The night & day difference between Amone’s contribution & Corey’s 2 intercepts couldn’t have been more obvious. Norman is slow & it not a genuine running threat whereas Amone danced through a top tier Penrith defence. His cut out pass to Feagai was excellent plus he backed up & came within a ace of scoring. If Amone isn’t the 5/8 for the last 3 games then Hook really has lost it.

Ben Hunt is out, Clune will almost certainly play 9 for the remainder of the season so Sullivan is the obvious player to play 7. McGuire could possibly play some dummy half but with Lawrie out he’s needed at prop. For mine I’d really like to see Amone & Sullivan play together & see what they can offer.

Not sure whats happened to Max this year but Mat looks pretty settled at right wing. With Bird back at right centre he might actually see some ball.

Norman 2 tries & Beale 1 both combined gave Penrith 18 points. Take those points away & it’s 16-16. Take Bird’s error out & it’s 10-16. There simply isn’t any case to argue to pick Norman & Beale anymore.

So on balance there’s actually a much stronger argument to play the kids than there is to hold them back. I think this is why so many are frustrated with Griffin & are giving up on him so early. His team selections are contributing to our problems & are costing us any chance of winning.

I’m really looking forward to seeing our team selection on Tuesday, it’ll tell us what size balls Griffin has. If he goes the easy road & persists with Norman & Beale not only will it kill any chance of a win it’ll tell us he has no balls at all.

possm

Coach
I'm not sure if is fitness or strength of character missing from our squad. Or is it something to do with expectation. Whatever it is we need to correct this for next season.

The players showed in that one game against the Eels that they could match it with the best but then fell away to look very ordinary.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
There’s a fair legitimate argument to keep the kids back but the problem is that the players who keep getting picked are useless. I’m thinking Norman & Beale primarily.

In my opinion Sloan has looked pretty comfortable in the 2 games he’s played. I don’t see any harm in giving him the 1 jersey for the last 3 games. Jack Bird obviously isn’t the long term fullback so what’s the harm?

Gerald Beale often looks disinterested & is a turnstile in defence. The try he let in against Penrith was pretty pathetic. With Sloan at fullback Jack Bird is the obvious replacement.

Less said about Corey Norman the better. The night & day difference between Amone’s contribution & Corey’s 2 intercepts couldn’t have been more obvious. Norman is slow & it not a genuine running threat whereas Amone danced through a top tier Penrith defence. His cut out pass to Feagai was excellent plus he backed up & came within a ace of scoring. If Amone isn’t the 5/8 for the last 3 games then Hook really has lost it.

Ben Hunt is out, Clune will almost certainly play 9 for the remainder of the season so Sullivan is the obvious player to play 7. McGuire could possibly play some dummy half but with Lawrie out he’s needed at prop. For mine I’d really like to see Amone & Sullivan play together & see what they can offer.

Not sure whats happened to Max this year but Mat looks pretty settled at right wing. With Bird back at right centre he might actually see some ball.

Norman 2 tries & Beale 1 both combined gave Penrith 18 points. Take those points away & it’s 16-16. Take Bird’s error out & it’s 10-16. There simply isn’t any case to argue to pick Norman & Beale anymore.

So on balance there’s actually a much stronger argument to play the kids than there is to hold them back. I think this is why so many are frustrated with Griffin & are giving up on him so early. His team selections are contributing to our problems & are costing us any chance of winning.

I’m really looking forward to seeing our team selection on Tuesday, it’ll tell us what size balls Griffin has. If he goes the easy road & persists with Norman & Beale not only will it kill any chance of a win it’ll tell us he has no balls at all.
One of your best posts @Maddragon99! Every word makes perfect sense. Well done. I hope Hook reads it over his morning coffee and does the right thing when he names the team this afternoon!

Crush

Coach

1. Bird 3. Beale 6. Norman.
If he selects these 3 players again today it tells me a few things. 1 is that he is seriously considering playing Bird at fullback next year.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
1. Bird 3. Beale 6. Norman.
If he selects these 3 players again today it tells me a few things. 1 is that he is seriously considering playing Bird at fullback next year.
If that is the case I'm all aboard the hook Hook train. He has been just as bad in defence and under the high ball as Dufty but doesn't offer 1/4 of the attack. We may as well have just stuck with the Duftman.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Norman picked again which is sad. Saints still have a genuine chance of still making the 8 with a win over the Chooks and Cowboys as the teams ahead have a tough game ahead. If Tigers beat Sharks and Saints beat Chooks then they will probably sneak in at 8. Not that they will do anything but Hook seems more interested in Norman playing footy than the team making the 8. Wow.

I am really getting sick of this time of year feeling pi$$ed off about another poor season season with the thought of the following season being even worse. With Hook coming into 2021 was a 50/50 chance of a good year or terrible one and going on form we got the latter.

Cleary, Walker, Reece Walsh etc. Young kids given a crack. Looked goon on debut and they stayed on ever since. If the junior seems to struggle playing his first NRL game then sure give them some time to adapt, but did Sullivan, Sloan or Amone look like they struggled in their first NRL game? Not to me they didn't. Sullivan was awesom last year against the Storm that threw everything at him. Sloan scored in every game, some by his own individual brilliance and Amone looked solid in his first game and only got better the more he played as per last week. They definitely performed better than Norman and Dufty so why not play them. It is bizarre. This holding them back excuse is BS. It is Hook's excuse to get Norman game time and I am lost as to why he feels he has to? No other NRL team would play him that is for sure on his recent performances.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Norman picked again which is sad. Saints still have a genuine chance of still making the 8 with a win over the Chooks and Cowboys as the teams ahead have a tough game ahead. If Tigers beat Sharks and Saints beat Chooks then they will probably sneak in at 8. Not that they will do anything but Hook seems more interested in Norman playing footy than the team making the 8. Wow.

I am really getting sick of this time of year feeling pi$$ed off about another poor season season with the thought of the following season being even worse. With Hook coming into 2021 was a 50/50 chance of a good year or terrible one and going on form we got the latter.

Cleary, Walker, Reece Walsh etc. Young kids given a crack. Looked goon on debut and they stayed on ever since. If the junior seems to struggle playing his first NRL game then sure give them some time to adapt, but did Sullivan, Sloan or Amone look like they struggled in their first NRL game? Not to me they didn't. Sullivan was awesom last year against the Storm that threw everything at him. Sloan scored in every game, some by his own individual brilliance and Amone looked solid in his first game and only got better the more he played as per last week. They definitely performed better than Norman and Dufty so why not play them. It is bizarre. This holding them back excuse is BS. It is Hook's excuse to get Norman game time and I am lost as to why he feels he has to? No other NRL team would play him that is for sure on his recent performances.
Griffin must have a very close personal relationship with Norman, there’s no other reason why he keeps picking him. There’s a reason why Norman is unsigned for next year, everyone except Hook knows he’s completely hopeless.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Griffin must have a very close personal relationship with Norman, there’s no other reason why he keeps picking him. There’s a reason why Norman is unsigned for next year, everyone except Hook knows he’s completely hopeless.

So what is your solution?

Do you play Sullivan who has played 5 games in 2yrs, just back coming off 3 long spell injuries?
or
Do you play Clune who everyone states is a reserve grader, who averages 40 running metres a game?

I'm no Norman fan, and you can go back over my posts in the Corey Norman thread to verify that. However, at present time, it's best to safely intro Bud into the game. Remember we are playing the Roosters, JWH and Co would have no issue targeting Bud. I'm sure Bud can handle it, but is it worth the long term risk? Clune knows he has no future with us and looks like has signed with the Knights and good luck to him.
Our forward strength is very weak, especially from the bench and the Roosters will target whoever plays 7. I expect Bud will get a fair run, but after the 'heat' of the game has gone out.

Hook’s options are very limited.

Happy to see we have virtually cleared out all the deadwood in just one season.

Am sure we are in the market for various positions.

Hook has cleared the way for Amone and Sullivan to play in the 7 & 6 role or at the very least they will be the understudies for Hunt and Mbye.

Sloan and Ramsey will fight it out for the 1 jersey with Mbye the back up if they fail to impress.

Looking forward to a much improved 2022 without BBQgate and the deadwood.

Blood&Bandage

Juniors

Good post post mate

Latest posts