What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sullivan to half Amone to 5/8 Sloan to Fullback

dannyt

Coach
I don't want to see Sullivan go, but there is no way I would like to see the current Dally M leader halfback let go for a rookie 7 who has spent more time on the sidelines injured than on field. How long were we in need of a class halfback to lead us onfield? We have that now, and people are calling for him to be let go, unbelievable.
I fear this could be our Thurston vs. Sherwin moment.

redVinme

Juniors
redVinme, where do you get the idea that he tells the club how much he wants to earn on his new contract? The club will make an offer on what they thinks he is worth, and to fit in with the cap. It is then up to the player to accept or not. Again, how is that on him? If another club offers more dollars, and he wants that, he will accept that clubs offer.
I'd say it's on him as captain (which you clearly think he should have allowance to make decisions and therefore should operate in the space of what's best for the club not the individual as a "leader" ) to ensure that the future of the club is secured. He should be doing everything he can to get In the ears of the young players (as captain) and work for them to buy into the future and hang around. Not block their opportunity to play first grade.

Munster is arguably the best 6 in the comp at the moment, but Bellamy didn't have any issues with putting him at FB for (a handful of games played) Johns on Thursday night, or why didn't Slater play Hunt at 7 ahead of DCE ???

Answer = It's to move your players around, to have your best 13 starting, or didn't you watch how dominant Hunt was in SOO???
If we put Hunt at 9, we might just have the comps best Dummy Half & a halves combination from a couple of players who know each others game, just like Cleary & Luai, who have played together through Juniors.
But you obviously have the same foresight as Griffin ( I will never refer to him as the coach ) ........
How much of SOO3 do you think Hunt played as a 9? Yes, I saw how dominant Hunt was in that game, and most of his dominance was from field positioning of a half or 5/8. He spent a lot of time in the Jurbo like playmaker role, not hooker. Also, one off origin games are not even comparable to 24 rounds week after week.

I'd say it's on him as captain (which you clearly think he should have allowance to make decisions and therefore should operate in the space of what's best for the club not the individual as a "leader" ) to ensure that the future of the club is secured. He should be doing everything he can to get In the ears of the young players (as captain) and work for them to buy into the future and hang around. Not block their opportunity to play first grade.
Where did I say he makes decisions? Learn to read dude. I said he has input, but coach has final say. He has no say in the dollars offered to sign a new contract. That is an individual decision to make if he feels it is what he deserves. If he doesn't like the offer, he will accept a better one elsewhere. All players are in that position, not just him. If he wants to play for less to put the club in a better position, so be it. If he doesn't, again, so be it. Can't begrudge a guy because he wants to earn more money.

And when it is time to decide on a new contract, I can safely assume that his decision will be based on what is best for him and his family's future....not Sullivan's future. As it should be.

Last edited:
Do you think Widdop decided to leave Dragons for Super League in England so Corey Norman had a chance for a better future with the Dragons? Pretty cruel if he did

dannyt

Coach
It has been said by the media, not me, but didn't Thurston trial with us first before we decided he was too small, if I recall????
No, I think we were going to give him a go. Danny Buderus I think, could be the one your referring to? could be wrong!
Don't think Thurston trialled with us, mate. The big one I recall was Laurie Daley trialling with Steelers, and told he was too small and should go back to Country league for ànother year. Then a couple of weeks later, signed with the Raiders.
What I've heard regarding these three players. Could be bull, but good stories:
Thurston: Browny's role after retiring was talent ID. He spotted a small kid from NQ, and was convinced he was watching a future superstar. He let slip while having coffee one morning with someone associated with the dogs that he spotted a kid in NQ, and that they are looking at bring him down in the next few years. Soon after, the kid was signed and playing for the dogs. That kid was Jonathon Thurston.
Buderus: Both Danny Buderus and Joel Caine trialled for St George one year. Buderus killed it, Caine was so so. Caine was signed, not Buderus, because the fool of an official thought he was watching Joel Caine play, not Danny Buderus.
Daley: Pretty much was has been said. The only thing to add is the person who allegedly made the call on Daley was Bobby Millward.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Oh right. The Dally M’s.

I reckon if he wins it they might finally change the farcical Dally M voting system. It’s far too heavily weighted towards a decent player in a crap team.

No one in their right mind thinks that Hunt is the best player in the comp.
Not sure how you figure this mate.

First of all, in the last 15 dally m winners only two have belonged to teams that didn't finish in the top 4. Feel free to fact check that if you'd like.

Secondly the 3,2,1 points are assigned to who the commentators believe to be the top 3 on the park that game across both teams.

So tell me more about how it is a farcical system weighted in favour of a decent player in a crap team?

Mojo

Bench
How much of SOO3 do you think Hunt played as a 9? Yes, I saw how dominant Hunt was in that game, and most of his dominance was from field positioning of a half or 5/8. He spent a lot of time in the Jurbo like playmaker role, not hooker. Also, one off origin games are not even comparable to 24 rounds week after week.
Exactly, so why don’t we use Hunt the same way? With a combination of Hunt, Sully, Amone there’s a great opportunity for really creative attacking structures. Add Sloane, Ramsey, and a host of other talented young guys - Hunt could be the maestro who sets us up as the future of the game! Surely they can see this.
I suspect the gossip about Hunt demanding the half back position and Sully having the shits as a result might be pure BS. However, if not and it results in the Club missing this potential, I will be one lifelong supporter who will be utterly disgusted and outraged.

redv13

Bench

First of all, in the last 15 dally m winners only two have belonged to teams that didn't finish in the top 4. Feel free to fact check that if you'd like.

Secondly the 3,2,1 points are assigned to who the commentators believe to be the top 3 on the park that game across both teams.

So tell me more about how it is a farcical system weighted in favour of a decent player in a crap team?
Very valid points

SBD82

Coach

Easy.

The Dally M winner this year should come from the Panthers. Yeo, Cleary and Api all have a greater impact on games than Hunt. But working in combination they take points away from one another.

Hunt on the other hand can get points because he stands out, even in a losing side, because he is the only point of attack that we have.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Easy.

The Dally M winner this year should come from the Panthers. Yeo, Cleary and Api all have a greater impact on games than Hunt. But working in combination they take points away from one another.

Hunt on the other hand can get points because he stands out, even in a losing side, because he is the only point of attack that we have.
Perhaps so but in any case history shows that the standout players from the best performing teams tend to win the Dally M.

Hunt winning the Dally M this year would be miraculous, especially seeing as it is unlikely that we will play finals.

I agree with Dorothy, Hunt is in career best form and this should all have a bearing on which position he plays when he signs his next contract.

There's no neglecting the fact that the thoughts of many, being Sullivan should replace Hunt at 7 next year are thwart with danger considering Hunt will come close to winning the Dally M and Sullivan is a 19 year old kid who has played one first grade game at halfback.

If we can land Verrills and keep Hunt at 7 next year that would be a much better way to go in my opinion.

SBD82

Coach
Perhaps so but in any case history shows that the standout players from the best performing teams tend to win the Dally M.

Hunt winning the Dally M this year would be miraculous, especially seeing as it is unlikely that we will play finals.

I agree with Dorothy, Hunt is in career best form and this should all have a bearing on which position he plays when he signs his next contract.

There's no neglecting the fact that the thoughts of many, being Sullivan should replace Hunt at 7 next year are thwart with danger considering Hunt will come close to winning the Dally M and Sullivan is a 19 year old kid who has played one first grade game at halfback.

If we can land Verrills and keep Hunt at 7 next year that would be a much better way to go in my opinion.
You’re overthinking this. It’s very simple.

1. Ramsay
6. Amone.
7. Bud
9. Hunt
14. Mbye

Is a far superior spine to

1. Ramsay
6. Amone.
7. Hunt
9. McCullough
14. Mbye

Maybe Verrills changes things. Maybe he doesn’t get signed. But this year, Hook has completely f**ked us.

redVinme

Juniors
Where did I say he makes decisions? Learn to read dude. I said he has input, but coach has final say. He has no say in the dollars offered to sign a new contract. That is an individual decision to make if he feels it is what he deserves. If he doesn't like the offer, he will accept a better one elsewhere. All players are in that position, not just him. If he wants to play for less to put the club in a better position, so be it. If he doesn't, again, so be it. Can't begrudge a guy because he wants to earn more money.

And when it is time to decide on a new contract, I can safely assume that his decision will be based on what is best for him and his family's future....not Sullivan's future. As it should be.

I agree he has the agency to make his own decision I just want the club to make a good decision based on the long term success of the club and not based on his great but ultimately given his age short term impact left to provide the club. I feel that impact would be felt greatly of he player hooker and stayed but it seems like he won't.

We obviously disagree but at least you are civil lol

I'm Hornby

Juniors
You’re overthinking this. It’s very simple.

1. Ramsay
6. Amone.
7. Bud
9. Hunt
14. Mbye

Is a far superior spine to

1. Ramsay
6. Amone.
7. Hunt
9. McCullough
14. Mbye

Maybe Verrills changes things. Maybe he doesn’t get signed. But this year, Hook has completely f**ked us.
It really isn't that simple.

You and many others base the above on the premise that Sullivan would add more at halfback than McCullough does at Hooker.

I don't know how anyone can make that assumption with any degree of confidence or surety when as we know Sullivan has played one game of first grade.

It's great to be excited for what a young halfback may bring to the side but how much of Sullivan has everyone actually seen to be sure the above is a gamble worth taking?

It's flawed logic and will remain that until we all know for sure whether Sullivan is up to it or not. If we did the above and Sullivan turns out to be a flop or can't stay fit, where do we go from there?

It's easy for supporters of the team to believe this is the magic bullet or shot in the arm the team needs, especially from the comfort of their lounge rooms. However the fact is nothing about your preferred spine above guarantees the team would be better than now.

SBD82

Coach
It really isn't that simple.

You and many others base the above on the premise that Sullivan would add more at halfback than McCullough does at Hooker.

I don't know how anyone can make that assumption with any degree of confidence or surety when as we know Sullivan has played one game of first grade.

It's great to be excited for what a young halfback may bring to the side but how much of Sullivan has everyone actually seen to be sure the above is a gamble worth taking?

It's flawed logic and will remain that until we all know for sure whether Sullivan is up to it or not. If we did the above and Sullivan turns out to be a flop or can't stay fit, where do we go from there?

It's easy for supporters of the team to believe this is the magic bullet or shot in the arm the team needs, especially from the comfort of their lounge rooms. However the fact is nothing about your preferred spine above guarantees the team would be better than now.
You know why I’m confident?

2 years of watching McCullough run around in the red V.

Illusion

Bench
This does NOT have to end in tragedy and theres still time...instead of blaming the club or Hook this decision is solely to do with Bud....as a man, as a warrior, as a player and loyal clubman of integrity, then PROVE IT PLEASE BUD! its up to YOU now to rise above the very legitimate gripe with the Club, if they did lie to you, the club and our team is bigger than those jerks up top who run it pfft! how about us FANS? who bleed, who KNOW you got it IN YOU to just have a tad more damn patience and PROVE your loyalty to both your friends in the squad AND us as fans and a club! now please go have a think about loyalty, about fun, about your combos with Amone, Sloane etc etc and about how just a LITTLE more patience may just avoid a lifelong regret and true, real, suffering and pain not only for you, but for us bleeders with the arse out of our pants who ARENT fans of the stupid jerk beuracracy or CEO or coach or idiot topcat suited heads of this poor club but are ONLY here standing through thick and thin for YEARS just for the players alone! what about us? what does football, LIFE, or The GAME itself even mean to you Bud? yes if they lied F
em! we all get stabbed in life by moneyhead beuracrat SUITED IDIOTS WHOS ONLY DESIRE IS MONEY OR TO LOOK AFTER THE OTHER HEADS WITH THIER SNOUTS IN THE TROUGH....RISE BRO! heres your chance to win us all over bigtime as no BS , be a man, for us true blood fans, And to prove your loyalty for all time! do it for US, FOR YOUR MATES, FOR LEAGUE ITSELF! mainly for YOU, if Bud cant detatch as a warrior and man now and spits the dummy like the worst kind of flip flopper goes back on his OWN WORDS of his many assurances to us fans that the Dragons as A TEAM comes first above any gripes, revenge or dummy spits at the utter imbociles up top we all loath...IF he rejects us and mighty Dragons simply for impatience or worse and more shallow still, MONEY! then Bud was NOT the man, I thought he was....I pray im wrong, I pray the media stories about Bulldogs are just that, stories, I pray that Bud IS THE WARRIOR, PLAYER AND MAN OF HONOUR , INTEGRITY, LOYALTY AND PATIENCE HE HIMSELF SAYS HE IS, i really do... it would GUT me for years after following his career so long with us, waiting just as patiently against great buffoon idiots up top execs here who cant so see his magic or combo with Junior and Sloane etc...the POTENTIAL, but it would gut me to even see Bud himself, as a man, chuck a tantrum and just for short term gain or impatience just ditch us for money! specially to go to our biggest rival and enemy! cmon Bud, RISE ABOVE PLEASE FOR US LONG LONG SUFFERING BLEEDING TRUE DRAGONS FANS WHOVE HAD YEARS AND YEARS OF UTTER PAIN ALSO FROM DECISIONS MADE BY SUITED EXECUTIVE IDIOTS! WE ARE THE CLUB, NOT THEM! US FANS AND THE PLAYERS TOGETHER, YOU ARE OUR FUTURE BROTHER PLEASE DETATCH AND DONT MAKE RASH OR ANGRY DECISIONS TO UP AND RUN , WE NEED YOU NOW MORE THAN EVER TO EXACTLY DO THAT, REBUILD, HOOK WONT LAST LONG, YOU MIGHT LEAVE NOW, THEN REGRET LIKE CRAZY THE MOMENT THIS HOOK WRECKER OF OUR CLUB GETS DITCHED SHORTLY...ONLY TO NOT BE AROUND TO LIVE YOUR POTENTIAL AS A DRAGONS LEGEND AND SUPERSTAR, stay for US FANS BRO, the REAL ONES WHO ARE ON YOUR SIDE FIGHTING AND DYING IN THE ACTUAL TRENCHES SICK OF ALL THE EXECUTIVE BS ALSO...ITS UP TO THE PLAYERS TO STAY LOYAL, TO BE PATIENT, TO OUT STAY IDIOT COACHES, AND CLUELESS EXECUTIVES, THEN ONTO VICTORY AND TO LIVE YOUR DREAM, thats a REAL WARRIOR! real old school legend stuff, thats what the GAME IS ALL ABOUT, TRUE LOYALTY, thats also called being an adult and rolling with the punches and bad decisions that dont go your way, show us your character brother and get revenge by OUTSTAYING WRECKER HOOK, and ONWARDS TO WHY YOU EVEN PLAY THE GAME, WHAT ITS ALL EVEN ABOUT,winning with your brothers ! for YOU, as a DRAGON, youd hate to be seen in that Blue Bulldogs strip eeewww! what a hollow feeling winning ANYTHING with them, BREATH FIRE BRO! Your a DRAGON THROUGH AND THROUGH ARENT YOU!!????
I want him to stay too , can you please stop SHOUTING 😂

Latest posts