What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Night Footy

Hazy

Juniors
put this up on rleague so it may look familiar...

Just read a piece in the paper that says the FTA networks are struggling with the Sunday night movies as Foxtel is running all of its premiering movies on Sunday nights.

It goes on to say that they are all looking for something different to successfully run against this.
For Channel Nine may I suggest the return of Sunday Night Football?

Even a full length replay would be of some use, especially for those of us stuck down here in Melbourne.

shadowboxer

First Grade
yeah and they can get rex mossop back. The moose was awesome. Sorry but i cant see that happening any time soon.

Moffo

Referee
Would people go though? I personally hate going out on Sunday night, and i think most people are the same, particularly with work the next morning

Its worth some thought though Hazy...i wouldn't mind lying back on the couch and watching the footy :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

knights 2004

Juniors
they should just show a replay of a game that kicked off that day at about 3 or 4.
then u have th problem of people not watching as they know the result tho

greeneyed

First Grade
If Channel 9 in Melbourne won't put the rugby league on Saturday afternoons, they sure aren't gonna put them on on Sunday night. I think the best option would be to demand Channel 9 broadcast league nationally on Saturday nights (would require renegotiation with Foxtel and Channel 9, obviously).

Hazy

Juniors
sorry - the full length replay is the best way to play. Not actually sunday 'night' footy, but does anyone remember when channel ten used to have the game on Sunday night?

and channel nine sports reporter (Maurice I think) would say "If you don't want to know the score, look away now"

Beaussie

First Grade
Moffo said:
Would people go though? I personally hate going out on Sunday night, and i think most people are the same, particularly with work the next morning

Its worth some thought though Hazy...i wouldn't mind lying back on the couch and watching the footy :lol:

Cheers,
Moffo

That type of attitude, which is widespread amongst so called RL supporters is the reason why RL will always be second to the AFL in popularity stakes in Australia. Watching a game on TV always seems to come before actually getting out and attending games. No wonder NRL clubs are so pathetic with their reliance on pokies for revenue.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo

Maybe they could put all the roosters games on sunday nights. It's not like alot of there supporters go to the games anyway.

Simo

First Grade
Beaussie said:
Moffo said:

Cheers,
Moffo

That type of attitude, which is widespread amongst so called RL supporters is the reason why RL will always be second to the AFL in popularity stakes in Australia. Watching a game on TV always seems to come before actually getting out and attending games. No wonder NRL clubs are so pathetic with their reliance on pokies for revenue.

I actually agree 100% with moffo.

First of all it isnt because we dont want to see a game live, its because alot of people have family and work to think of and a Sunday night is not the best night to take everyone out.

Secondly, must we take away every day game we have??

Personally i love the sunday afternoon games in the sun, a few beers and get hom ein time for tea and to relax before i have to work the next day.

DONT TAKE AWAY SUNDAY ARVO FOOTY!!! Its the last day games we have left!

Moffo

Referee
Right on Simo

I have no problem going to games Beaussie. I've been to plenty, ive had a season ticket in the past. But i dont want to go to a game on a Sunday night.

Cheers,
Moffo

Hazy

Juniors
OK so Sunday NIGHT footy wouldnt work, but what about a replay of one of the day games?

ibeme

First Grade
Hazy said:
OK so Sunday NIGHT footy wouldnt work, but what about a replay of one of the day games?

After the news at 6:30 would get a bigger audience. More families and people are at home after their Sunday activities. Kids are usually inside the house by then. It would mean more exposure to the 'marketplace'. It could become a staple part of Sunday night viewing at home with the roast dinner, and would be in the forefront of more people's mind.

The only downside that I can see is that it's quite a long delay by today's standards. People are more demanding, and some fans don't bother watching if they already know the score.

Moffo

Referee
Hazy said:

Gday mate,

Yeh fair enough, id be happy with that.630-730 is the way to go, a highlights show of the sunday games perhaps after the sunday game from 4-6

Way to go!

Cheers,
Moffo

kosta

Juniors
I actually think that a highlights show like moffo said would be good. Although instead of just a show of the sunday games why show all the games from the weekend. It could be similar to the English Premier League highlights show we get on Monday night. I'm getting sick of the footy show not showing enough highlights from the weekend and I'm not too impressed with the other league show on Fox Sports.

burley griffin

Juniors
6.30 - 9.30 is prime time there is no way Nine will put footy on at this time.

Ever watched tv on a friday night? Cos nine shows footy at 8:30 then.

And the grand final, state of origin have both dominated sunday night ratings.

I reckon it would be worth a try, having maybe a 6:30 kickoff and the match televised at 7:30, or something like that.

Simo

First Grade
burley griffin said:
6.30 - 9.30 is prime time there is no way Nine will put footy on at this time.

Ever watched tv on a friday night? Cos nine shows footy at 8:30 then.

And the grand final, state of origin have both dominated sunday night ratings.

I reckon it would be worth a try, having maybe a 6:30 kickoff and the match televised at 7:30, or something like that.

Friday night 8:30 is not prime time, it is a common time for people to go out, same as Sat night.

Sun however is a huge rating night, with channel 9 sun news being one of the top rating shows each week.

SOO and GF are way different to regular matches. They are special events which attract big crowds and huge tv audiences. No other games will do that.

It is worth a shot to replay another game but dont get rid of the actual live game being in the arvo...... or the 4pm game cause i like it 8)

Beaussie

First Grade
Simo said:
I actually agree 100% with moffo.

First of all it isnt because we dont want to see a game live, its because alot of people have family and work to think of and a Sunday night is not the best night to take everyone out.

Oh yes, point taken. That would explain the piss poor crowds over the entire weekend, right throughout the rl season. :lol:

There wouldn't seem to be a good time to schedule matches of rl for lazy league supporters. Put simply, there isn't any passion or motivation for getting off the lounge away from the TV and supporting one's team.

No wonder rl already has one foot in the grave.