What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunday Origin

firechild

First Grade
8pm kickoff is ridiculous. My son is 8 and he's never seen an origin game. Because of that, he has no interest outside of getting excited that a couple of Manly players will be playing.

That said, he struggles to maintain any real interest in the NRL given that so many games are late on Thursday or Friday nights. He tries to stay up for the late games but usually falls asleep. For me, the reason I am so passionate about my team now is because I grew up watching the games. We didn't have as many games on tv but I have plenty of memories of Saturday and Sunday afternoons sitting on the hill watching the games. The NRL are going to lose a good chunk of the next generation because of lousy scheduling. By the time they realise, it will be too late.

8pm kickoff is ridiculous. My son is 8 and he's never seen an origin game. Because of that, he has no interest outside of getting excited that a couple of Manly players will be playing.

That said, he struggles to maintain any real interest in the NRL given that so many games are late on Thursday or Friday nights. He tries to stay up for the late games but usually falls asleep. For me, the reason I am so passionate about my team now is because I grew up watching the games. We didn't have as many games on tv but I have plenty of memories of Saturday and Sunday afternoons sitting on the hill watching the games. The NRL are going to lose a good chunk of the next generation because of lousy scheduling. By the time they realise, it will be too late.
I am with you. My sentiments precisely only my team are the Dragons..got interested in them when my big brother took me along to Norm Provans electrical shop in Saints territory and asked him to sign my scrap book. After I left boarding school I never missed a home game. I kept that Dragons scrap book for many years until it vanished after a home move a decade ago.

Cleary went missing in attack again. The bloke does nor run enuff.. his ball skills are non existent.. can not fault his defence tho.. that grass cutter on Holmes (think) could well have saved the match. Ala Johnny Raper on Barry Rushworth. This one..
sh_rapertackle_.JPG

Last edited:
Brain explosion by the over rated Roberts almost blew it for the Blues. He should be moved on. There are better centres out there.

Last edited:
With the big four having hung up their rep boots there are now openings for the Kangaroo squad. G I, Holmes, Teddy, the Turbo brothers, Mitchell, De Belin and Frizzell loom as Kangaroo likelies.. with Kalyn Ponga as my smokie. Did Ben Hunt play himself out of a jumper with a below par display? Will Maloney give it away after game 3?

My Kangaroo Squad:

Tedesco
Ponga
G I
Mitchell/ Lafai (if eligble)
Holmes
Brooks/Taylor
Munster/ Blake Austin (if Maloney has retired)
J de Belin
Frizzell
Jake Turbo
props are anyone's guess. Is Matt Scott still avail?
hooker is out of McGuiness, Cook , MacCulloch.

res. Tom Turbo, whoever misses out on hooker role, Jordan McLean, McGuire/Hess/James

C'mon shoot me down.

baggers.

Last edited:

OldPanther

Coach
Cleary went missing in attack again. The bloke does nor run enuff.. his ball skills are non existent.. can not fault his defence tho.. that grass cutter on Holmes (think) could well have saved the match. Ala Johnny Raper on Barry Rushworth. This one..
sh_rapertackle_.JPG

Non of our forwards made over 100m. We fot dominated in the middle which is why our halves couldn't get into the game.

We fot? Is not the onus on the halves to get the forwards.. well going forward? I reckon our ball playing lock De Belin went into second receiver more times than did Cleary. This kid is believing his own publicity. I do not doubt he has potential.

OldPanther

Coach
We fot? Is not the onus on the halves to get the forwards.. well going forward? I reckon our ball playing lock De Belin went into second receiver more times than did Cleary. This kid is believing his own publicity. I do not doubt he has potential.

It was a typo "we got". The halves don't get the forwards going. The forwards job is to make metres and get quick play the balls for the halves to play off.

As for believing his own publicity you have no idea what you're talking about.

It was a typo "we got". The halves don't get the forwards going. The forwards job is to make metres and get quick play the balls for the halves to play off.

As for believing his own publicity you have no idea what you're talking about.
I expect that reply from a Panthers supporter. Tho was perhaps a bit harsh on the kid with that statement. Surely you concur when I say he needs to run more. Take on the line son!

Non of our forwards made over 100m. We fot dominated in the middle which is why our halves couldn't get into the game.

Actually according to Fox Sports only one forward on either team made 100m or more with ball in hand last night. It was Boyd Cordner with 104 metres from 17 runs.

The only other players to crack the 100m mark with ball in hand: James Tedersco (126 metres), James Roberts (102 metres), Valentine Homes (197 metres), Greg Inglis (182 metres), Dane Gagai (138 metres), Will Chambers (110 metres).

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/match-centre/SOO20180201/stats

Lambretta

First Grade
Finally a NSW win and I couldn't be any more underwhelmed. I should be over the moon, but I watched the game at home alone with a bottle of soda water for company and couldn't drum up much enthusiasm outside of the immediate game time

This is the first Origin in almost 20 years (that hasn't been a dead rubber) that I have watched home alone.

I couldn't find a single soul who wanted to catch up and watch the game at the pub. No camaraderie, no mateship, no f**king fun.

If they had done 7.30pm on a Friday the pubs would have been packed, everyone would have had a ball - it was clearly the best choice for Celebratory / fanship terms. But unfortunately the fans are not the consideration.

Origin is about getting the largest number of individual tv sets turned on.

If that means you, the supporter is tucked under your doona with a mug of cocoa for company then so be it.

We have to please the people who don't normally watch Rugby League. The spouses of the fans, the AFL loving South and the Rugby Union supporting East. That's who matters the most to the NRL. The season ticket purchasing fans can go eat a f**king dick. We all know they will tune in regardless so we never have to give them what they want

OldPanther

Coach
I expect that reply from a Panthers supporter. Tho was perhaps a bit harsh on the kid with that statement. Surely you concur when I say he needs to run more. Take on the line son!

It's nothing to do with being a fan of my team. He wasn't MOTM and wasn't an abomination of a footballer. He covered more ground than any other player according to the gps and his work off rhe ball is exceptional. Halves aren't suppose to reach their peak into their mid 20s.

Actually according to Fox Sports only one forward on either team made 100m or more with ball in hand last night. It was Boyd Cordner with 104 metres from 17 runs.

The only other players to crack the 100m mark with ball in hand: James Tedersco (126 metres), James Roberts (102 metres), Valentine Homes (197 metres), Greg Inglis (182 metres), Dane Gagai (138 metres), Will Chambers (110 metres).

Source: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/state-of-origin/match-centre/SOO20180201/stats

Interesting. I thought the QLD pack would've had 1 or 2 over 100m though both teams used their backs a lot.

Lambretta

First Grade
I have to temper my post with the following disclaimer

I loved the fact we had a rep weekend

Fiji and PNG fantastic
Samoa v Tonga fantastic
Womens Origin fantastic

I just wish Origin was the big Friday night game. The kids can stay up later on a Friday. People stay after work in the Cities and you turn it into a carnival of the supporter.

That's how you say thank you

Lambretta

First Grade

That is interesting as Nine showed the two leading NSW players for metres gained were both forwards and were Cordner and someone else. Both were metres carried and not metres run in total which Nathan Cleary was leading.

Both players were over 100. All Queenslands metre eaters were backs

MilkShark

First Grade
With the big four having hung up their rep boots there are now openings for the Kangaroo squad. G I, Holmes, Teddy, the Turbo brothers, Mitchell, De Belin and Frizzell loom as Kangaroo likelies.. with Kalyn Ponga as my smokie. Did Ben Hunt play himself out of a jumper with a below par display? Will Maloney give it away after game 3?

My Kangaroo Squad:

Tedesco
Ponga
G I
Mitchell/ Lafai (if eligble)
Holmes
Brooks/Taylor
Munster/ Blake Austin (if Maloney has retired)
J de Belin
Frizzell
Jake Turbo
props are anyone's guess. Is Matt Scott still avail?
hooker is out of McGuiness, Cook , MacCulloch.

res. Tom Turbo, whoever misses out on hooker role, Jordan McLean, McGuire/Hess/James

C'mon shoot me down.

baggers.
No plodner?

T-Boon

Coach
I couldn't find a single soul who wanted to catch up and watch the game at the pub. No camaraderie, no mateship, no f**king fun.

If they had done 7.30pm on a Friday the pubs would have been packed, everyone would have had a ball - it was clearly the best choice for Celebratory / fanship terms. But unfortunately the fans are not the consideration.

Maybe the NRL should play a few more on Sunday and then go to the pub and club industry and see how much they will pay to play the game on Wednesday nights.

How much do pubs and clubs loss by it being Sunday rather than wednesday?

Latest posts