What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super Bowl LIII

nick87

Coach
It’s wild to think that Phillips held Brady to one of his worst play off performances and they still never got in that game

A horrible performance by McVey and Goff primarily, and the offence in general

nick87

Coach
How about Goff missing Cooks wide open
He was sooo late on the ball into the endzone on busted coverage it allowed the pats to make a play
If Goff throws it when he springs free it’s a walk in

Last Week

Bench
It’s wild to think that Phillips held Brady to one of his worst play off performances and they still never got in that game

A horrible performance by McVey and Goff primarily, and the offence in general

Or, an excellent performance by Belichick and the defence in general.

Last Week

Bench
How about Goff missing Cooks wide open
He was sooo late on the ball into the endzone on busted coverage it allowed the pats to make a play
If Goff throws it when he springs free it’s a walk in

Nek minnut. Throws an intercept.

kurt faulk

Coach
Lights out? They couldn't cover Edelman at all. Michel kept getting first downs. They fell apart in the 4th. The pats ran the exact same play against 3 times in a row and they failed to cover it each time. Did they even sack Brady once? The Rams didn't just shit the bed, they shit the whole f**king house. Hekker was your best player today

They held them to 13 points. I'd say that is lights out.

kurt faulk

Coach
Nek minnut. Throws an intercept.

He was talking about a play earlier in the game when cooks was wide open in the endzone. That cooks drop at the end was a killer for the rams. A td to tie the game turned into a game losing int the next play.

nick87

Coach
He was talking about a play earlier in the game when cooks was wide open in the endzone. That cooks drop at the end was a killer for the rams. A td to tie the game turned into a game losing int the next play.

Yeah the Cooks drop was a perfect throw. You can’t put it in any better location. Should have been a TD.

But the missed td was massive too, you can’t moss those lay ups. As I said, if Goff sees the busted coverage sooner it’s a walk in

Last Week

Bench

I know. I'm pretty sure it was the next play that the intercept happened. That's what what my post was referring to.

Last Week

Bench
It was certainly a weird game. Hard to watch if you didn't respect defences and didn't know what a 'quarter-backless' game looked like.

I feel like, after watching that, the Saints and Chiefs would have beat the Pats and Rams (respectively) rather handsomely.

Eelectrica

Referee
Gotta take your hat off to the Patriots Defence in particular. To hold the Rams to just 3 points and made them look awful pretty much all game.
Goff almost the Patriots MVP.
Can't argue with Edelman as game MVP, he was basically Gronk Jnr. Michel was another candidate, but the Rams kept him under wraps for a good chunk of the game - just not at the end, but they were gassed by then.

Rams D did all they could, but that time of possession caught up with them at the end like it has for other teams. The great disappearance of Gurley - they needed him to do what the Patriots RB's did and just couldn't deliver.

I guess as a Dolphins fan I'm excited to see what Brian Flores can do. Not expecting much initially, but if the Dolphins show the patience needed as in don't fire him after 2 years of not much, we could have something in a few years.

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
It was certainly a weird game. Hard to watch if you didn't respect defences and didn't know what a 'quarter-backless' game looked like.

I feel like, after watching that, the Saints and Chiefs would have beat the Pats and Rams (respectively) rather handsomely.
Was thinking that exact same thing while watching. Saints and Chiefs will be kicking themselves.

shiznit

Coach
I actually think what Gurley is carrying ultimately cost the Rams the game.

He wasn’t healthy and they just seemed limited in what they could do.

It felt like they were almost playing with only half the playbook.

I’ll also add Cooper Kupp... obviously injuries aren’t an excuse... the Pats won a title with Gronk injured and the Eagles won with little prick nick last season...

But I see people coming out talking about how this #1 ranked offense crumbled in the SB... a huge part of that #1 offense was Kupp and a fully fit Gurley.

Last edited:

kurt faulk

Coach
Yeah the Cooks drop was a perfect throw. You can’t put it in any better location. Should have been a TD.

But the missed td was massive too, you can’t moss those lay ups. As I said, if Goff sees the busted coverage sooner it’s a walk in

goff was under siege the whole game. bellyfat did a lot of things to confuse him on top of that. i lost count of the number of free rushers that were running towards him throughout the game. as a result his timing was always gonna be a little off. i'm not sure what was happening with the offense to tell you the truth but if i had to guess i'd say goff got rattled and wasn't seeing the whole field as a result. got sacked a lot but more importantly got hit a lot. the best way to stop a qb is to hit him often.

i didn't see the replay of that late throw but cooks got both hands on it before he got hit. it should have been an easy td if the ball got there a second earlier but it still should have been a td the way it unfolded. a wr has to make that catch. that's why they get paid the big bucks. those two missed td opportunities were the difference between winning and losing.

kurt faulk

Coach

every game is different. this one just happened to be a defensive battle. hats off to the defenses.

you can't say the other teams would have won. would have been totally different games.

Last Week

Bench
I actually think what Gurley is carrying ultimately cost the Rams the game.

He wasn’t healthy and they just seemed limited in what they could do.

It felt like they were almost playing with only half the playbook.

I’ll also add Cooper Kupp... obviously injuries aren’t an excuse... the Pats won a title with Gronk injured and the Eagles won with little prick nick last season...

But I see people coming out talking about how this #1 ranked offense crumbled in the SB... a huge part of that #1 offense was Kupp and a fully fit Gurley.

No credit to the Patriots defence for that?

I mean, they obliterated the 6th ranked offence in the divisional round, shut down one of the all time offences in the AFCC, and they held this years 2nd best offence to 3 points!

And it's not like CJ Anderson is a nothing RB.

DC_fan

Coach
No credit to the Patriots defence for that?

I mean, they obliterated the 6th ranked offence in the divisional round, shut down one of the all time offences in the AFCC, and they held this years 2nd best offence to 3 points!

And it's not like CJ Anderson is a nothing RB.

In a season where offence dominated across the board in the NFL, defense won the Super Bowl. Which by the way is not unusual, it has happened before. I read somewhere where the game was referred to as forgettable because of this. I am not sure that this person can be a true fan of the game.

I enjoyed the game. Though in saying that I am glad not every game is played like that. The Patriots defense was outstanding, and up until say the last quarter so was the Rams. The Patriots should be congratulated for their outstanding defensive win.

kurt faulk

Coach

so i've seen a few breakdowns of some plays in the superbowl and goff was definitely a little timid in the first half on 3rd downs. he didn't seem sure of himself or maybe he was playing too safe so there wouldn't be a turnover. whatever it was, routine plays he would make with his eyes closed during the season became beoken up plays because he was late with the throw.

finally saw the cooks play again. goff was so late with the throw. he was looking at him the whole way. but even then it would have been an easy td throw if he threw a bullet of a pass but the ball floated on him. difficult to see what happened with him there. again you can only put it down to playing timid.

rams should have been 7-3 up and it would have become a different ball game. he can only learn from this and use it to become a better qb in the future.

nick87

Coach

finally saw the cooks play again. goff was so late with the throw. he was looking at him the whole way. but even then it would have been an easy td throw if he threw a bullet of a pass but the ball floated on him. difficult to see what happened with him there. again you can only put it down to playing timid.

rams should have been 7-3 up and it would have become a different ball game. he can only learn from this and use it to become a better qb in the future.

Even with how late he was to see it, you're 100% right, if the ball has some zip it's still a TD. But that ball just floated like a plastic bag in the wind... and it gave them a chance to make a play on the ball

I think those two cooks plays were absolutely the difference, that's 11 points left on the field and it's a totally different game... i also think Goff was very timid and McVey too, and i wonder if getting a touchdown might have just settled them back into rythm

this is one that got away from the Rams imo.