What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League as NRL expansion

joshreading

Staff member
Ok, it has been rumoured lately that the NRL is looking to buy Super League in some shape.

I cannot fully comprehend the general benefit they are considering except it would position the NRL as having a perception of Global reach and footprint.

This may help in securing stronger sponsorship on both sides of the world.

IF NRL (Northern conference) says to it's sponsors / potentials. Each week you will be exposed
regularly in Australian / New Zealand and the Pacific it surely will increase value. As is the case
even with the NRL (Southern) saying you will gain regular exposure in England / France etc. Season
alignment etc all may be beneficial.

I do imagine Super League would need a serious readjustment from a governance pov and
changes to P and R but it may work.

Personally I think the biggest issue may be matching Salary Caps to truly make it a global competition.

What do you think?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Won’t happen, RFL dont want Arlc controlling the English game and nrl doesn’t have the money or ambition to actually do anything with it if they bought it. The ROI for nrl is virtually nothing. Nrl clubs are quite happy SL is skint and they can pick up the best English players cheaply I would think, why would they want that to change?

Ironically the vision you are talking about was news ltd vision for the game. Two full time professional comps that would creat a global game with development in png and Fiji to supply players.

salary cap is just one of the huge gaps, media revenue, club revenue, jnr numbers, money from pokies funding grassroots in aus, the gaps are huge all over the place and not going to be closed anytime soon if ever.
For example
Club grant $13mill v $3.5mill
Avg club revenue $26mill v $9mill
Tv deal $320mill v $60mill
LC revenue $20mill-100mill v $0

and so it goes on

Last edited:

NRLMad

Juniors
We need to prop up the second best league that is holding up France and England. We just need to do it, no if’s just get them closer due to collaboration

Make the St George Dragons an English team in the NRL, based out of Perth and Adelaide.

England's 30 best players fill out its roster.

The team song can be God Save English Rugby League.