What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League News

emesssea

Juniors
Rob Elstone has resigned. There was no need to have him in the first place. The RFL should be the only governing body in British RL. Re-name the league to RFL Premiership. No play-offs, we've got the C Cup instead. C Cup Final in July. 5.30pm kick-off.

Without playoffs, I imagine the value of the TV deal will go down, not too many viewers will be watching a match on Thursday night between club A in 2nd and club B in 3rd, when Club C is 10 points ahead of everyone with 4 rounds to go

NSW Manly

Juniors
Without playoffs, I imagine the value of the TV deal will go down, not too many viewers will be watching a match on Thursday night between club A in 2nd and club B in 3rd, when Club C is 10 points ahead of everyone with 4 rounds to go
You would need to be in the top 8 to get into the Challenge Cup, so the number of viewers for 9 vs 7 towards the end of the season could be higher. Also the viewership for matches at the beginning of the season could be more.

emesssea

Juniors
You would need to be in the top 8 to get into the Challenge Cup, so the number of viewers for 9 vs 7 towards the end of the season could be higher. Also the viewership for matches at the beginning of the season could be more.

If I'm understanding correctly, I think you're talking about the top 8 getting a bye to the round of 16 in the following year's challenge cup? If so, I'm not sure that's compelling enough (its essentially a midtable fixture) to replace the race for a playoff spot to compete in the current seasons league championship, especially when it already exist under the current format.

The problem is the Super League exist in a vacuum, and like most leagues that exist in a vacuum (ie MLB, NRL, NBA, etc) a playoff is necessary to keep the season compelling, unlike European soccer leagues which have the UCL spots to go along with the title race. But even that format can have dud seasons, as I follow La Liga and Atletico pretty much have the title in their hands, and the top 4 is more or less set despite only being halfway through, only the relegation spots are currently in play, and lets be honest a relegation race is only exciting the last couple of rounds.

NSW Manly

Juniors
If I'm understanding correctly, I think you're talking about the top 8 getting a bye to the round of 16 in the following year's challenge cup? If so, I'm not sure that's compelling enough (its essentially a midtable fixture) to replace the race for a playoff spot to compete in the current seasons league championship, especially when it already exist under the current format.

The problem is the Super League exist in a vacuum, and like most leagues that exist in a vacuum (ie MLB, NRL, NBA, etc) a playoff is necessary to keep the season compelling, unlike European soccer leagues which have the UCL spots to go along with the title race. But even that format can have dud seasons, as I follow La Liga and Atletico pretty much have the title in their hands, and the top 4 is more or less set despite only being halfway through, only the relegation spots are currently in play, and lets be honest a relegation race is only exciting the last couple of rounds.
No, only 8 teams enter the Challenge Cup. You qualify by getting into the top 8 of the Premiership the previous year. 3 rounds of Cup rugby. QF, SF and obviously the final in July.

emesssea

Juniors
No, only 8 teams enter the Challenge Cup. You qualify by getting into the top 8 of the Premiership the previous year. 3 rounds of Cup rugby. QF, SF and obviously the final in July.

Not sure how making one of the oldest cup competitions in any sport into an 8 team competition will go down in England, when it doesn't really accomplish anything other than cut off all clubs outside of the super league, and in the current year its still a midtable fixture. Also, if they were to move to a 'proper' league format, then it needs to done correctly, straight home and away, no magic weekend or playing some teams more than others. Anything less than that would effect the integrity of the league, its why I thought it was wrong London were straight relegated when there wasn't a balanced schedule. I'm not sure how their shcedule compared to their relegation rivals, but its possible that some years the club finishing last may have had the hardest schedule while the club finishing 11th and on the same amount of points had the easiest.

As it stands now, the club that finishes 1st gets the League Leader Shield, which some supporters value more than others, and rugby league gets two big showcase finals.

NSW Manly

Juniors
Not sure how making one of the oldest cup competitions in any sport into an 8 team competition will go down in England, when it doesn't really accomplish anything other than cut off all clubs outside of the super league, and in the current year its still a midtable fixture. Also, if they were to move to a 'proper' league format, then it needs to done correctly, straight home and away, no magic weekend or playing some teams more than others. Anything less than that would effect the integrity of the league, its why I thought it was wrong London were straight relegated when there wasn't a balanced schedule. I'm not sure how their shcedule compared to their relegation rivals, but its possible that some years the club finishing last may have had the hardest schedule while the club finishing 11th and on the same amount of points had the easiest.

As it stands now, the club that finishes 1st gets the League Leader Shield, which some supporters value more than others, and rugby league gets two big showcase finals.
Obviously would have to have a home and away league, 22 matches. Magic weekend would be a 7s tournament, I see why ppl prefer 9s, but 7 minute halves and 7 a side is the way to go IMO.

Dark Corner

Juniors
Obviously would have to have a home and away league, 22 matches. Magic weekend would be a 7s tournament, I see why ppl prefer 9s, but 7 minute halves and 7 a side is the way to go IMO.
Yes Magic Weekend should 7's or 9's and involve all 3 Leagues be fantastic.

bileduct

Coach
Farkin' hell, this Les Catalans v Huddersfield game has been a bloodbath so far. This first half has taken an eternity with the amount of stoppages. Really testing the limits on how much time can be used to stop the bleeding and clean up a wound.

Latest posts