What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Super League Qualifying Semi Finals

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
So here we are, 80 minutes from Old Trafford and 4 teams remain.

Warrington v Leeds
St Helens v Wigan

The safe money IMO is still on a Wire/Wigan GF but I think Leeds and Saints will both have a big say in what happens.

Leeds have really come into some form over the last month or so and had it not taken until the back end of the season we could have pushed Saints for 3rd. We did survive a scare in the last 10 last week and I was very critical of Webb who gifted Huddersfield 12 points in that time but it turned out he had been very ill leading up to the game and I guess fatigue caught up with him. The defensive line speed was there though and although the game ended close, Hudds were never really in it.

If Leeds want to trouble Warrington next week though they need to avoid these 10 minute defensive lapses that keep costing us a heap of points. Hopefully Ablett and Watkins will be back to strengthen out back line and give us more speed and punch, not to mention firming it up aswell. Hardaker was very good with ball in hand but defensively he's not up to par yet (as a centre). If he's to get a spot in a full strength team it would be on the wing if Webb gets dropped and BJB moves to full back. He is one for the future though and remember he is only 19.

Warrington have looked unstoppable at times this season but every so often after a big win they have a poor game and look beatable. They will also have to be weary of the week off. So often in the play offs has a team that wins and gets the bye then comes unstuck 2 weeks later. I cant see Tony Smith letting this affect them too much though as he has been there with Leeds and should know how to guard against it.

It is an interesting game though and I can't see Leeds not turning up. It's just a matter of whether their best can match this Warrington teams best.

In the 2nd game, looking at the regular season, you would pick Wigan all day long. 1-17 apart from the odd couple of players they are better on paper man for man. The great thing about Rugby League though is that it isn't played on paper. 2 weeks ago St Helens travelled to the DW and caught Wigan with their pants down. Lomax controlled things behind a good Saints pack and they came away with the surprising victory. Now they have home field advantage and have the chance to make it 5 Grand Final losses in a row ;-)

Wigan though, have been in this situation before. Just 12 months ago 4th placed Leeds went across to the DW on a nice september night and did the same to Wigan as Saints did last week. 2 weeks later they came back to Leeds and after a close 1st half, put Leeds to the sword. In all honesty I can only see this scenario panning out the same way. Saints have a good coach, a good young team and had a very good season but this game will be 1 too many in my opinion. They wont be too far off the pace though and will run Wigan close but I just feel this team under MaGuire know how to play well when the pressure is on. Sometimes they do it ugly, but at the end of the day a win is a win.

There should be 2 decent crowds this weekend though and hopefully 2 competative games. My guess is Warrington by 8 and Wigan by 4, but I hope I am wrong... on both counts ;-)

WireMan

Bench
All the teams have a chance.

Regarding Warrington vs Leeds, Leeds have to be on the ball in defence from the get go. Warrington can and do score from anywhere. Leeds have the tools in attack to cause Warrington problems though, and out of the two semis i think this will be the better game.

Wigan vs Saints is interesting. Wigan are a better side than Saints but have ground to a halt. They offered little in attack vs Catalans and managed to run in a big score by rolling over a very weary looking Catalan team. I cannot see this happening vs Saints. Saints will be up for it, have the belief they can win, and will be fresh.

Hopefully (for us two Johnny) they smash into each other, have a rip roaring tense encounter and are done in for the week after!

innsaneink

Referee
So Wolves have chosen Leeds eh?

Just how does the club call work?

Is it like a press conference, or does the club in question just release a press statement?

roughyedspud

Coach
yes...

exactly how you think it works..the top ranked team gets to pick whoever they want in the semi finals

and a press conference yeah

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The club call is a bit Mickey Mouse, in my opinion. What is the consensus in England?

On the games, can't wait. Both should be absolute crackers.

deluded pom?

Coach
yes...

exactly how you think it works..the top ranked team gets to pick whoever they want in the semi finals

and a press conference yeah

No they don't 'spud. They can only select from the two teams who qualify from week 2. That's why Warrington couldn't choose Saints.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Wigan are back. And asif a 44-0 win can be dismissed. Wigan will win this week in 1st gear and then go and thump Warrington to settle the debate on who is better.

The next supercoach of rugby league will return home having won 2 leagues and a cup in 2 years.

JasonE

Bench
I think i may be alone but i like the club call, it is something which could get more interesting over the years especially with results such as the one we have just seen.

WireMan

Bench
Not looking forward to Wireman on here later.

Nah its all good. Leeds played well and looked dangerous in attack. Wire looked nervous at the start but got better. Defence wasn't as tight as always.

I'd rather of been knocked out by the try near the end, or a pen for a high shot etc. anything but offside as a lot of talk will be about ganson (for the third week running), and thats what he wants.

Still good luck to leeds in the final, next year we will be back even better.

gypsy

Bench
Spoiler alert

Glad Leeds won, as a neutral supporter. Some of the worst refereeing I've ever seen on display.

Can't believe the commentator interviewing Buderus asked him if he felt lucky with the last decision, the Warrington guy was 5 metres offside! Doesn't have anything to do with luck.
They should have got the penalty earlier in the set, Briers wasn't at marker or back the 10, and Ganson just let it go.

Leeds got robbed all night, definitely deserved the win.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Good morning guys

First of all to Wireman... congratulations on the season. You were the most consistent team and deserved the League Leaders Shield. You will still be a tough team to beat next season and maybe it will take a loss like this for you to take that next step. We suffered a similar loss in the semi back in '03 to Wigan to a last minute drop goal when we'd been the better team all year. Since then this will be our 6th GF in 8 seasons (hopefully our 5th win too). When I went on about the weaknesses I saw in your game against better defences tonight summed it up pretty well I thought. There is a time for the throwing the ball about at every oportunity and a time to just take it up and settle the team down.

Ultimately though I think the difference tonight was big game experience. Leeds has 12 grand final winners in the team who know what to do and how to push themselves that bit further. I truely believe that this game will spur Warrington on in the future though. Sometimes a loss like that can be the best thing that ever happens. It may not seem it at the time but it's true.

For Leeds, that was the best I have seen Danny Buderus play. He controlled everything and his intensity never dropped. He proved tonight that form is temporary, class is permanent.

Brent Webb also came in for a bit of stick this week from the Leeds fans, myself included, but tonight was the best he's played (apart from that 1 pass into the stand) since his back injury a few years ago. He was finding the half breaks and always seemed to be under the kick. Wether he can play to that standard every week for another year is a doubt, but as long as he does next week I wont mind too much.

(Im not going to go through every player, dont worry ;-) ) Rob Burrow again off the bench made a massively positive impact. He caught Wire napping and set up a brilliant try for Ryan Hall with a very good cameo from McGuire in between. He kept asking the questions and I think we may have found the best way to use him.

Last but not least, Kevin Sinfield... has this man suffered from nerves in his life? When it comes to it, you can count on him. Even the kick from the otherside of halfway was bang on line. He just didnt have the leg. He has really settled in to the 5/8th role this season and takes the team around the park so well. His brain really does make up for that half a yard of pace he lacks. I cant think of anyone else in the league I would prefer to have lining up a pressure kick for the win either.

I know this was very Leeds biased tonight but it's late and I just wanted to say a little something.