What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Supply and Demand - A Gypsy article

Slug

Juniors
Now I've heard everything. Let's just change the number of players to 11 ....or 12. ffs

:lol::lol::crazy:

gypsy

Bench
Roll on EPL season. Capacity crowds, atmosphere, quality...it's enough to get me excited.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Yep, outstanding quality, especially when the top 5 clubs aren't up against each other. :roll:

:roll:

Tooooks

Bench
Yep, outstanding quality, especially when the top 5 clubs aren't up against each other. :roll:

:roll:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I'm guessing you haven't watched much footy this year. There have been plenty of quality games played between teams outside the top 5. What an idiotic comment.

supercharger

Juniors
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

I'm guessing you haven't watched much footy this year. There have been plenty of quality games played between teams outside the top 5. What an idiotic comment.

I think he was talking about the EPL.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
Is it just me, or are NRL management missing the easiest and oldest trick in the book?

The demand for our product, in all forms (Tickets, memberships, merchandise...) just isn't there.
There are a myriad of reasons why - too many Sydney clubs being one. However, pricing runs a close second.

We're in a conundrum at the moment - Nobody wants to go sit in an empty stadium, and nobody wants to watch a game on TV that has no atmosphere. The NRL clearly places more importance on TV ratings, than seeing people at the game, yet it's fairly awful viewing seeing in some cases 60k empty seats. And get this, the NRL just loves big grounds, which are no chance of being even a quarter full.

The solution, I hear you ask?

Tickets and Memberships should be 33.3% of current pricing. The result? More fans to the game, and more dollars in. Take into account the money spent whilst at the game.

Merchandise pricing should be as above.

Wait 5 years. The game grows. It becomes a thing people want to do on a Saturday night.
Atmosphere returns and comes through in the telecast.

Then, raise the prices - only this time, you have the demand.
Something has to give, the current state of the game is very grim, and it's fast losing people like me.

Agree 100% except I would say too many games in Sydney rather than too many teams. Imo the season should be cut back to 22 games Iie 11 home and away per club. Then expand to 18 teams and that way we still have more games than current but each game is worth a little more due to the reduction in each teams season

Perth Red

Post Whore
15 rounds instead of 24 will devalue the product.

20 teams 20 rounds 10 games a weekend
Bring in Wellington,brisbane2, Perth & png
2 Friday night
4 Saturday
4 Sunday

Stand alone SOO

Longer international season inc int nines
Proper world club challenge end of year

Fine keep it at 13-a-side, but allow the ball to be raked when there's more than one in the tackle then? Is it? The only thing I can envisage with that is that the ref will be going back and forth between the teams like a fiddler's elbow.

And of course they're playing too many matches.

gypsy

Bench
As a start, punt the Eels, Sharks and Raiders.
Then we can look at where to go from there.

I mentioned other stimuli in previous editions, namely an abbreviated T20 style format or an all grades FA cup style knockout. These ideas seem to have been well received.

Maybe forcing fans to the eastern (non - broadcast) side in the interim, may give the illusion people care about our game.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Actually, if supply and demand is the issue, the obvious solution is to shorten the season. 18 rounds would be enough and it would open a lot of space for Rep football.

After +100 years of club footy drawing average/disappointing crowds, maybe it is time to accept that there just isnt that much growth in club footy.

Compare that to Rep footy; people cant get enough of Origin, and Rep footy is booming. Plus, it would take away the need to think about relocating/cutting teams as the rep calendar would easily cover any locations that dont get enough from Club teams.

Latest posts