What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Support players needed!!

Do players in the team actually realise which of their team mates are commonly breaking tackles and might be able to get an offload away if there was someone actually in support???

Had a look at stat not commmonly mentioned on this forum, "Tackle breaks"

The same people seem to bob up in the top 3 of this stat each week!!

And with high numbers!

So why aren't they having more runners following them to make the tackle break count even more ???

Round 1 Vs Penrith

B. Kearney 12
G.Bird 6
L.Thompson 4
L.Covell 4

Round 2 Vs G/Coast

F.Anderson 8
B.Kearney 7
L.Thompson 7

Round 3 Vs Souths

G.Bird 10
I.De Gois 6
K.Kingston 4

Round 4 Vs St.George

B.Pomeroy 10
G.Bird 9
B.Kearney 8

Round 5 Vs W/Tigers

P.Gallen 11
G.Bird 7
B.Kearney 5
B.Pomeroy 5
L.Covell 5

Greg Bird appears 1st or 2nd in this stat each week with the exception of the Gold Coast game where he only made one tackle break.

Brett Kearney featured in the top 3 of each game except in the Souths game.
Interestingly enough he played in the halves in that game.

Paul Gallen seems to be getting back to his best with 11 Tackle breaks last week.

So it's a no brainer.
When our backrow of Gallen,Thompson & Bird take up the ball follow them!!!
When Brett Kearney gets the ball follow him!!!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
simplistic as usual. Support play does in fact happen. Most of kearneys tackle breaks happen after receiving the ball from gallen/Bird etc after following him.
Our half back has slowed down too much to support very well like a Thurston & he concentrates too much on what hes going to do next, rather than whats in front of him.

We don't need more support, we need better 2nd phase.

Thomo.

First Grade
keanrey has been there heaps this year. seen him running past. it will come

If more players ran either side of Birdman he'd break even more tackles than he is doing now. As more defenders would have to cover the runners. Birdman's strength has been unbelievable last year and the first 5 rounds this year.

The Dodger

First Grade
the offload by kingston (against the tigers), if he had done that a tad earlier, he would have caught kearney on the way through.

thats why when benji picked the ball up, kearney was no where near him to make the tackle.

begining of last year, i noticed kearney running off thommo quite a bit, which resulted to some tries.

why doesnt this happen anymore?

i cant see how the halfback prevents this from happening either.

Stonecutter

First Grade
Birdman2.jpg

DPG said:
the offload by kingston (against the tigers), if he had done that a tad earlier, he would have caught kearney on the way through.

thats why when benji picked the ball up, kearney was no where near him to make the tackle.

begining of last year, i noticed kearney running off thommo quite a bit, which resulted to some tries.

why doesnt this happen anymore?

i cant see how the halfback prevents this from happening either.

I think how the Sharks played against the West Tigers was just like the "cautious Cronulla" of old. They'd get a slight lead and then lock the ball up with safety first one out running and darts from dummy half.

When are they going to learn that attack is the best form of defence in those situations?

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Dragon Slayer said:
I think how the Sharks played against the West Tigers was just like the "cautious Cronulla" of old. They'd get a slight lead and then lock the ball up with safety first one out running and darts from dummy half.

When are they going to learn that attack is the best form of defence in those situations?

hahah
yeah more kinga passes!! Dont ya reckon??

blacktip-reefy said:
hahah
yeah more kinga passes!! Dont ya reckon??

Not a fan of brain expolsions,no.

They should've been queuing up for the ball but most of the team were going through the motions.........

carcharias

Immortal
Dragon Slayer said:
Not a fan of brain expolsions,no.

They should've been queuing up for the ball but most of the team were going through the motions.........

it was a bloody hot day that went extra time.
Maybe they were all too rooted .

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
so you want attack as long as they dont attack?

You dont want them running one out as long as they are qeuing up?

I got it!!!!

You're Stuart Raper!!!

It all fits together now.

blacktip-reefy said:
so you want attack as long as they dont attack?

You dont want them running one out as long as they are qeuing up?

I got it!!!!

You're Stuart Raper!!!

It all fits together now.

f**k your weird!!

I want them to play SMART FOOTBALL!!!!!

Shift the ball a couple of sets of hands and target the fringes with our big line breaking centres and skilful backrowers.

No one out running so 3 or 4 defenders can hammer the ball carrier.
Give him a runner either side of him so the defence spreads a bit and is in two minds.

It ain't rocket science!!!!

And if they had been doing things like that they could've slept during the last 10 minutes and still won because we would've been miles in front against what the Tigers offered on Sunday!!

Danger

Juniors
What about the massive break kearney made against the tigers, he ran like 70 metres and had no one in support, should have been a try, but no one was in support, so we blew it!!!

The Dodger

First Grade
sutho goldfish said:
What about the massive break kearney made against the tigers, he ran like 70 metres and had no one in support, should have been a try, but no one was in support, so we blew it!!!

same goes for the break kimmorley made

The Dodger

First Grade
cheese said:
Agree ....Where was simmo? I thought he was quick? Thats what the papers tell us
i was actually wondering that when benji made the 70 metre run to score.

i might have to watch the replay again.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
Benji is one fast hombre, don't worry about that. I don't know if any in our team would have caught him.

As it was he jogged it in with Noddy pumping madly badly behind him.
Seymour saw the acceleration & the open spaces & knew better of it.

Latest posts