What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sure, they are only trials . . . . .

The Rosco

Bench
Ok. Yes, they are only trial matches.
Yes,we played against non-first graders at times in both games.
Yes, trial matches don't count . . . .

BUT . . . I honestly think we will do far in excess of expectations. Wouldn't be surprised if we made the 8.
I was at the Camden game, and was real impressed with Gavet, Tapau and Paterson. It seems they all impressed a few of us at sharkies as well :cool:

Our defence is at a level never seen. We are hitting them and they are staying hit.
Those 3 mentioned especially are always looking for an offload.
I hope Austin will settle down and live up to potential. I thought he played well against Panthers, but we did have the running for most of that game, and so that might have made him look better than he really was. If not, banasta can cover 5/8 and Brooks as half.

Richards has slotted straight back in and his goal kicking is on song.
We have still got good talent and speed to come back from injury.

The press are still writing us off as spooners. We won't get the spoon.

For those that haven't seen the team in action yet, just wait and see the game we bring for the dragons.

And of course I hope my optimism ain't wasted !

Thoughts ? . . . .

Matchball

Bench
I've got money riding on us making the 8. Even took the +18 handicap as well as straight out I'm that confident.

innsaneink

Referee
Like your optimism, but I learnt a long time ago to ignore trial 'form'

Hope youre right tho

That said, I grabbed some of the $2.15 we are for the saints game - straight out and in a multi....I thought we'd be faves for Rd 1

DanOz

Juniors
People better be prepared for Brooks to take some time to find his feet, and have some terrible games. That said, I will give the kid all the time he needs, even if it means next season is when we reap the rewards. I like the addition of Taupau and Paterson, Gavet has potential, Woods re-signing has to be a boost for the whole team, Teddy looks fast and dangerous. I hope Simona and Nofo can reproduce last years effort, and lets see if Lawrence has regained any speed or confidence. Not confident, but really hoping we can make the 8.

mepelthwack

Juniors
Winning trials hasn't been too common for this club over the last few years. Some cautious optimism from myself.

But gees beating the Dragons is very important I think.

The Rosco

Bench
I've got money riding on us making the 8. Even took the +18 handicap as well as straight out I'm that confident.

Did you go to either game, matchball ? . . . what did you think ? .
Actually, I'd love to hear the opinions of anyone who went to either game, especially the Sharkies one.
Am I right about the defence, offloads, etc ? They reckon our on-line defence was pretty good. Did we stop them on the ad-line?. That was the thing I took from the Camden game . . . our D stopped them from getting a roll-on. They'd drop where we hit them, not 6m downfield, a la Woods or Keithy.

DanOz

Juniors
I was at the Sharks game. A little flat in attack in the first half but we didn't see much ball. 2 tries were length of the field intercept / lost ball. Plenty of improvement to go.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was at the Sharks game. A little flat in attack in the first half but we didn't see much ball. 2 tries were length of the field intercept / lost ball. Plenty of improvement to go.

Sharks had plenty of key first graders off the field in the second half too from I've read.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sharks had plenty of key first graders off the field in the second half too from I've read.

From sharks fans. Watch the highlights. Fiftia, graham, Ayshford etc are all featured heavily in the second half highlights. Fiftia finishes the game. sure the sharks had a lot of star power on the sidelines, more so then us IMO. However we were belting them 28-10 til we took our players off in the last 20. Look at the sharks last 2 tries, plenty of sharks players I recognise, all the tigers players have 21,23 etc on their backs

ucantseeme

Juniors
If they can vastly improve their defense then they can make the Top 8. Scoring points shouldn't be too challenging considering the strike power and Pat Richards goal kicking, but stopping them...and giving away stupid penalties...

I would not pay to much attention to the betting market and press,two seasons ago we were favourites apparently to win the comp and we all know what happened !

pHyR3

Juniors
If they can vastly improve their defense then they can make the Top 8. Scoring points shouldn't be too challenging considering the strike power and Pat Richards goal kicking, but stopping them...and giving away stupid penalties...

this.

discipline is key. after that comes defence and then attack (for us anyway). Defence seems to have improved but discipline is really lacking

DanOz

Juniors
Not that I noticed? We took quite a few off about we streaked to 28 points. Richards came off with a knee niggle so I hope he is okay.

DanOz

Juniors
From sharks fans. Watch the highlights. Fiftia, graham, Ayshford etc are all featured heavily in the second half highlights. Fiftia finishes the game. sure the sharks had a lot of star power on the sidelines, more so then us IMO. However we were belting them 28-10 til we took our players off in the last 20. Look at the sharks last 2 tries, plenty of sharks players I recognise, all the tigers players have 21,23 etc on their backs
Numbers were all over the shop mate. Brooks was 25 not 7 as listed for example.

Tiger05

First Grade
I don't know how we are going to go however I think we are on the right track which is all I expect.

The areas of concern to me are:-
1. We can't be sure how the young players perform. Will Nofo, Simona and Tedesco kick on. Will Brooks and Austin or Moses step up.
2. I'm not sure Potter will choose the best available team. My main concern here is Anasta. If he plays like a busted will Potter still pick him. I think the difference between Blair and whoever else is not significant enough to lose us games and we are already paying for Blair.
3.Robbie - will he perform or won't he.

innsaneink

Referee
It concerns me when people try very very hard to justify a trial performance somehow by saying x y & z were out for them.....reading too much into it imo

The REAL stuff starts soon and thats what we really can gauge by

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member

there was no Gallen, Carney, Robson though and just watching Sharks games, 99% of everything do is channeled through those 3, so unimaginative is their attacking play.

Thus their defence would have still be close to its strongest, but their attack would have been hopeless.

The second half scoreline proves that

The good thing about this is that we managed to score plenty of points against a reasonably decent defensive outfit. Something we struggled with immensely last season.

The worrying thing is that our defence gifted one of the most limited attacking sides 20+ points in 40 mins.

DanOz

Juniors
there was no Gallen, Carney, Robson though and just watching Sharks games, 99% of everything do is channeled through those 3, so unimaginative is their attacking play.

Thus their defence would have still be close to its strongest, but their attack would have been hopeless.

The second half scoreline proves that

The good thing about this is that we managed to score plenty of points against a reasonably decent defensive outfit. Something we struggled with immensely last season.

The worrying thing is that our defence gifted one of the most limited attacking sides 20+ points in 40 mins.
Those points came when we had a lot of our starting 17 on the bench

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which is still not good enough against such a one dimensional attack.