What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Surprises

cardinal

Juniors
For me there has been some nice surprises this year.

1) Fui not getting suspended, some credit to the coaching staff I believe.

2) Cannings not being injured.

3) Burtys form at fullback and improved goalkicking.

4) Ian H form on returning to the nrl.

5) Timmy's form and maturity.

6) Ben Smith back to 05 form.

7) The brilliance of Hayne, Inu and Mateo.

Some are surprises, some I was hoping for, and some I did not expect.

Hurriflatch

Referee
1 - Not really surprising as he did a lot of work on his technique even in 2006 you could see he was changing his style
2 - Yep, but he as soon as he gets injury free he takes off
3 - Again not surprising as he has done a lot of work on goalkicking and has always played his best when at fullback (see early 2003) but very pleasing none the less
4 - Yep, great to see
5 - About time
6 - See #5
7 - If you saw them coming through the grades it's no surprise at all for Inu or Hayne and the only thing that held Mateo back was himself

Stagger eel

Staff member
who would of thought that with a Gains and losses sheet which looked like this.

Gains: Brett Finch, Ian Hindmarsh, Richard Fa'aosso, Todd Lowrie

Losses: Wade McKinnon, John Williams, Luke O'Dwyer, Brett Delaney, Matt Peterson, John Morris, Jeremy Smith, Dean Widders, Glen Morrison, Marcus and Henry Perenara, Mick Vella, Paul Stringer and Peter Lewis.

we still managing 3rd spot with 4 rounds remaining.

take a bow MR Hagan and thankyou so much to the Newcastle Knights board.

Utey

Coach
There's been so many this year, I think the fact that we haven't set the world on fire and still won game (something we haven't done for a few years) has started and continued. It's good stuff and we should figure well in the finals.

Gronk

Staff member
Surprises ? How about the lack of DF threads here ? Funny how his critics drop off when we are winning. When we string a few bad ones together it will be his fault no doubt.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Gronk said:
Surprises ? How about the lack of DF threads here ? Funny how his critics drop off when we are winning. When we string a few bad ones together it will be his fault no doubt.

Nah, he still makes a goose of himself whether we are winning or losing. The latest one about skin cancer was one of his best.

Gronk

Staff member
The skin cancer comment was tongue-in-cheek. Read the DT article and the Journo states that.

fanool

Juniors
Hagan for me. Have a look at the table. The entire bottom half of the table are teams with a coach in his first year with the club. Except for PARRA.

Captain BF

Juniors
WA Eel said:
8) Finchy's defense.

For mine, the big surprise has been all of Finch's game. If there is a loose ball he dives on it, if there is a kick put through our line, he is almost always there whether it be to pick it up and run or dive on it or to kick it dead. His defence has also been excellent but it's all of the other small things that he does as i have stated that have really impressed me. I was disappointed when John Morris was let go, but i think we have gained by having Finch there.
I wasn't anti-Brett Finch but i certainly wasn't pro-Brett Finch either. Now definately pro-Brett Finch. I also thnk he is a superb side-kick to Tim Smith who not surprisingly is having a bumper year with Finch outside him....

Captain BF

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
WAs Paulo around last year, I thoiught he was another new signing?
Junior Paulo has been at the club for a few years now.... I remember seeing him play in Premier League in 2005

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
i loved finchy from day one, knew he was going to be good for this club, it was always going to take time for him to fit in at 5/8, he is now looking good and he and timmy are working well together. good signing. keep it up finchy

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
#1 is my biggest joy so far - i think Fui must be really proud of himself

schnitzEEL

Juniors
Brett Finch has been my biggest surprise........I had the opinion that he was a bighead who believed the hype etc.............but he's made me eat my words.

Kornstar

Coach
My biggest surprise is that Parra Pete has actually given Timmy a few wraps this year and has not blamed any of our loses on Timmy.....

Latest posts