What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sutton makes early splash

0,,6486876,00.jpg

Full speed ... Souths and Penrith prove that the tackles aren't any softer in the trials. Photograph: Nathan Edwards / The Sunday Telegraph

Souths 38 def Penrith 4

SOUTH Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson last night declared John Sutton the key to the club's fortunes this year.
In a match played in horrible conditions, Sutton signalled he was set to live up to his potential by playing a role in almost every one of the Rabbitohs' tries.
Souths annihilated Penrith 38-4 in Coffs Harbour, with new buy Rhys Wesser scoring against his former club.
But Richardson was taking great heart from the way Sutton controlled the match.
"He was outstanding, absolutely outstanding,'' Richardson said.
"He set up five or six tries and really looked comfortable within himself.
"I think we're all hoping he can take that next step and after tonight it looks like he will. I thought Rhys was also impressive, he played like the old days.''
Despite the impressive scoreline, Richardson said the Rabbitohs wouldn't be getting carried away.
"Look, they had a young side,'' Richardson said of the Panthers.
"We were strong tonight, but it wasn't about the scoreline.
"We just wanted to take a step forward as a group and I think we did that.
"We now look forward to the Charity Shield in two weeks with the plan to again take another step forward.''
For the Panthers, Junior Moors suffered an ankle injury in the opening half and played no further part in the game.
SOUTH SYDNEY 38 (F Talanoa 2, I Luke, R Wesser, J Sutton, S Corrigan, J Simpson, C Best, S McPherson tries; C Sandow goal) PENRITH 4 (J Tia Kilifi try).

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,25056277-5006066,00.html

Last edited:

Dave Q

Coach
Sutto realising his potential instead of bludging... thank goodness for that.

He must have liked his taste of rep football.

Sutto.....Backline.....Origin!

Nemesis

Bench
Wow, i just read the match report, but damn, what a performance
Especially considering it was wet weather footy played in atrocious conditions, yet all the tries were scored by our backline.

Had we kicked our goals we would have racked up 50 and had it been a dry track, we would've put 60 on them.

Although Penrith did have a weaker side on the park, we were also missing a few players like Asotasi, Wing, Merritt, Greenfield, Champion & Cleal.

I know it's only a trial, but I'd rather be winning than losing. Seeing Sutto in career best form is fantastic.... he must surely be in contention for SOO this year.

Bring on the Dragons and Roosters!