What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Swann retires

Wato

Juniors
Graeme Swann has retired from international cricket. Huge loss for England despite his poor series he is still the second best spinner in the world. His always entertaining to watch so he will be missed by more then just England fans.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
All this bollox started cause of some banter on facebook, seems like we're forcing all the people who took England to the top of the game out because of one bad series.

And yes he's retired immediately, no more ashes for Swanny.

StGeorgeBull

Juniors
Imagine if at the start of the tour someone told you that two senior England players would walk away from the tour before Boxing day rolled around.

The cricket world has been transformed in a month.

Maybe the only likeable player in the team but hopefully keeps getting tonked for the next 2 tests

He ain't sticking around.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
Major problems behind the scenes in the England team right now, if this was just a simple retirement he would of just finished the series.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ashes: England spinner Graeme Swann announces retirement from cricket
Updated 1 minute ago

England spinner Graeme Swann has announced his retirement from cricket, only four days out from the Boxing Day Test against Australia at the MCG.

Swann made the shock announcement this morning, bringing down the curtain on a 60-Test career in which he claimed 255 wickets at an average of 29.96.

But the 34-year-old endured a disappointing Ashes campaign, taking only seven wickets at 80 runs in the three Tests completed.

More to follow.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-12-...raeme-swann-announces-retirement-from/5171420

Mr Spock!

Referee
Maybe the only likeable player in the team but hopefully keeps getting tonked for the next 2 tests

Effective immediately.

Graeme Swann retires mid-series

Graeme Swann, the England offspinner, is reportedly retiring from international cricket with immediate effect. Swann, 34, has played 60 Tests but has had a disappointing tour of Australia, having taken only seven wickets at an average of 80 in the first three Ashes Tests.

Although no official statement has been released by Swann or the ECB, the Sun's cricket reporter John Etheridge has tweeted "Only in The Sun tomorrow - read in his own words why Graeme Swann is quitting cricket with immediate effect". Swann is a regular columnist with the paper.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/the-ashes-2013-14/content/current/story/702897.html

Horrie Is God

First Grade
All this bollox started cause of some banter on facebook, seems like we're forcing all the people who took England to the top of the game out because of one bad series.

And yes he's retired immediately, no more ashes for Swanny.

f**k you've got a team of pea hearts on ya hands..:lol:

What's the betting on the next pom to shit himself due to Mr Slave bowling too rough at them??..

Red Bear

Referee
Listening to Test Match Sofa for a while this doesn't seem a surprise. As the only English player with a personality he had stuff outside of cricket he'd eventually slip into and they've seemed to think that the hunger looked gone for some time. Elbow issues probably haven't helped him.

Very good bowler much of his career who was largely ineffective out here but hey, most spinners struggle out here.

cleary89

Coach
Graeme Swann: England bowler retires from cricket
England bowler Graeme Swann has announced his retirement from all forms of cricket with immediate effect.
The off-spinner has taken only seven wickets during this winter's Ashes series defeat and has ruled himself out of the rest of the tour.
He played 60 Tests, taking 255 wickets - the most by any England spinner.
He said: "People always say sportsmen instinctively know when the time is right to retire. I had that exact feeling during the Adelaide Test."
Writing in his Sun on Sunday column, he added: "When I left home back in October I thought this might be my last tour for England. Then a couple of weeks ago, I looked in the mirror and I knew it would be.
"So now with the series beyond our reach I have just brought forward the decision by a couple of matches."
Former England captain Michael Vaughan tweeted that Swann has taken the decision "too soon".
He added: "It's been an absolute pleasure watching him perform for many years. Finger spin out of the top draw.
"Spinners of his quality are a rare breed. Of all the England players over the last 20 years he is the one the team who miss the most."

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/cricket/25481772